Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it bad to leave the top down over night?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 05:33 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default is it bad to leave the top down over night?

i used to have to keep the top upu on my boxcster s becasue of the plastic back window - leaving it down for extended periods of time lead to creasing in the plastic

Since we have glass back windows - is there another reason to put the top up over night while in the garage?

thanks
Old 01-31-2006, 06:27 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I do not have a 997 but on my Cab and Boxster S the manual says to put the top up when left for an extended period. Suggest you read the book that came with your car but I suspect the new cars are the same as the previous generation.

Rgds,
Old 01-31-2006, 06:27 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Dust? When I had my Boxster S, the top was down most of time, including while parked under my building at the office (very safe executive parking area). I did start watching more carefully where I parked after a sewer pipe broke two stalls away from my car.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:45 PM
tbill
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it is worth, my brother (lives in San Diego) has a XK-E and has not had his top up in over 20 years. Drives weekly and garaged otherwise. I live in Illinois so that just is not possible for me.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:13 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Originally Posted by tbill
For what it is worth, my brother (lives in San Diego) has a XK-E and has not had his top up in over 20 years. Drives weekly and garaged otherwise. I live in Illinois so that just is not possible for me.

That's because it's probably been stuck in the down position
for the last 19 1/2 years Lol
Old 01-31-2006, 07:14 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

I noticed annoying little crease marks in my wife's Boxster S after having the roof down for an extended period of time. Eventually the creases would disappear; however, it looked kind of cheesy nonetheless.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:15 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

In 22 years (pre-sale) my 911 SC Cab had the top up maybe six times. Once when I was caught in the rain (only time driven in the rain) and then in the last year for pix prior to sale. Original top and rear plastic were unharmed after being down for years and years..
Old 01-31-2006, 07:29 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Overnight would definitely not be a problem, even a weekend. I would want the top up if I wasn't going to drive the car longer than that. No so much because of damage to the top, but dust and debris getting all over the interior.

The exception to this would be if you put the top down while it's wet or damp. You'll want to get the top up quickly so it doesn't get moldy.

Rob
Old 01-31-2006, 08:20 PM
Cogito
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks as I've wondered about this too with my Cab. I think we need ("the manual says to put the top up when left for an extended period") EXTENDED PERIOD defined.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:06 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tbill
For what it is worth....
Tbill, I realize this is wayyyyyy off topic, but everytime I see your post I always pause to admire your daughter in your avatar and sigh as I admire her beauty (talk about nice hips). How old is she, early twenties? She looks tall too, what 5-9, 5-10? She is definitely one hot hottie! *sigh*
Old 01-31-2006, 11:57 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Cool Ben: "Take me, ME! I'm wart free!"

Originally Posted by OCBen
Tbill, I realize this is wayyyyyy off topic, but everytime I see your post I always pause to admire your daughter in your avatar and sigh as I admire her beauty (talk about nice hips). How old is she, early twenties? She looks tall too, what 5-9, 5-10? She is definitely one hot hottie! *sigh*
I guess as one of those extremely rare Porsche owners who is "blemish free" you would probably make someone a good mate.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:05 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

LOL ... Not sure how to take that, Chef. ... Gotta admit I'm stumped here. And that doesn't happen often.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:43 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OCBen
admire your daughter
Oh. That's NOT tbill? Uhm... hey, tbill, ignore all those hot PMs I sent you.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:49 AM
boolala
Race Car

Well I got a spider in my car when leaving the top down in my garage one night.......

I was driving my girlfriend around with the top down on a beautiful summer night the next day when she noticed the spider on her side. She was frightened by it so I suggested that she drive and I sit on the passengers side where she had seen the spider. Well the spider appeared on her side now and she was so frightened that she let go of the steering wheel and my 90 K SL was drifting off the road and I had to steer from the passenger's seat.

That was the last time I left the top down in my garage.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:10 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

The tech at my dealership was showing me how they put the glass back into a cab top. (Micro zippers and integral heated glue line---very neat). He was saying that the top should stay up because when left down for "long" periods the cables that keep the top in place at 175 mph can get stretched/pulled by the extra tension present when down.

Not having a cab it didn't really mean that much to me, but it could to you cab guys!!!

Quick Reply: is it bad to leave the top down over night?