Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How do you pronounce Porsche?
Por Shhh
24.41%
Por Shuh?
71.36%
Other
4.23%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

How do you say Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 01:25 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Now I know why the German speaking Ahnold pronounces beer as two syllables: bee-ah
EXCELLENT!
Old 01-27-2006, 04:31 AM
man_of_ice
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Germans pronounce it with a very clear e in the end. Not an a.

Problem is, that English speaking people will say it like they say "she" - more with an i pronounciation in the end. German e is pronounced different. Hard to explain in writing ;-)

So how about a movie clip where they say it from the horses mouth? From German tv:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...6&q=carrera+gt

He says it in the first sentence. Porsche Carrera GT
Old 01-27-2006, 07:36 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

pieca****ta' with 2 RMS leaks!
just kidding

por sha
Old 01-27-2006, 09:45 AM
texas911
Race Car

Sidenote: I owned an E55 and was told that AMG pronounced in German sounds like I AM GAY.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:57 AM
MBW_UK
Track Day

Just like Homer Simpson and the South American country 'U ARE GAY'
Old 01-27-2006, 10:03 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's what I had said in that thread in OT:
Whenever I come across the name Porsche in writing (as in these forums) I usually find myself pronouncing it Porsh in my head. It's easier and faster to read it that way, and I don't try to force myself to pronounce it correctly either while reading.

In today's society (particularly here in the U.S.) speed and brevity are the order of the day, especially when it comes to names. And whenever we can abbreviate or truncate, we will, even if it sounds a bit odd or awkward - we usually understand. Nouns, especially proper nouns, have a way of becoming monosyllabic here. "I'll try to call Cyn on her cell to see if she wants to ride with Jon…or go with me in the Porsh."

Everybody here knows it's pronounced Porsh-ah. ... And whenever I'm in the company of others who pronounce it Porsh, I pronounce it Porsh right along with them. To insist and persist in calling it Porsh-ah in their presence is not only being pedantic, but comes across as being pretentious as well, and will confirm their suspicions of you as a snob ... in my opinion.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:09 AM
MBW_UK
Track Day

Ben,

I think thats spot on for over here too!
I know it's 'Porsch-a' (in German and with dealers, porsche fans etc.), but normally would drop the 'a' at the end.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:09 AM
MMD
Banned

Absolute Definitive Answer:

You were at a nice business luncheon. You're introduced to Ferry Porsche. The German acquaintence said, "This is Herr "PORSCH-A."

Now would you have said, "Oh I love your new 911 "Porsh?"

GEEZ! FRICK!

Get it done: NEVER pronounce it incorrectly- anywhere- ever-.

Makes me sick to hear Jay Leno say Porsh, sounds fricking STUPID!

It's not being HAUGHTY or ELITIST! It's pronouncing the guys family Name CORRECTLY!!! Stand up and say it justly and correctly, for God's sake!!

How'd you like it if someone continually mangled YOUR surname?

Old 01-27-2006, 11:17 AM
OCBen
Banned

So you're saying you never say "Chevy"? ... Chevrolet is the founder's name, you know. Why not insist on always saying Chevrolet?

Like I said, when in Rome....
Old 01-27-2006, 11:57 AM
MBW_UK
Track Day

I'd have spoken with Herrn Porsche in German, so the problem doesn't arise!
Old 01-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
Sidenote: I owned an E55 and was told that AMG pronounced in German sounds like I AM GAY.

It's merely pronouncing the letters,--

For example, Porsche AG is "Por-Sha Ah Gay" or Porsche GMBh
is "Por-Sha Gay M Bay Ha" (which is easier than Gesellschaft mit Beschränkter Haftung)

Dan
Old 01-27-2006, 12:52 PM
MMD
Banned

So you're saying you never say "Chevy"? ... Chevrolet is the founder's name, you know. Why not insist on always saying Chevrolet?

Like I said, when in Rome....
Nice counterpoint.

BUT, We in the know, understand that this car comes from one Dr. Porsche and subsequent illustrious generations of his family. The company continues to be small and not owned by a clongomerate.

ALSO, "chevy" (like I give a sh*t ) is a complete mangling of the name Chevrolet; not by any means a mispronunciation spoken out of ignornace.

It's just not smart to mispronounce it. No law against acting not-smart.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:34 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by texas911
I've also heard Germans pronounce Mercedes as Mer see dees, instead of the way we say it in the US (Mer say dees).
Old 01-27-2006, 02:05 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by MMD
BUT, We in the know, understand that this car comes from one Dr. Porsche and subsequent illustrious generations of his family. The company continues to be small and not owned by a clongomerate.

ALSO, "chevy" (like I give a sh*t ) is a complete mangling of the name Chevrolet; not by any means a mispronunciation spoken out of ignornace.

It's just not smart to mispronounce it. No law against acting not-smart.
True, a deliberate abbreviation is one thing and a mispronunciation out of ignorance is another.

I suppose when Louis Chevrolet founded his company, way back when, many here in America, instead of pronouncing it Shev-ro-lay, pronounced it Cheh-vroh-lette out of ignorance. And true, if you're at a black tie function sipping fine Champagne, a string quartet in the background playing high society melodies, and you were introduced to a descendant of Dr. Porsche, yes, you wouldn't deliberately mispronounce his (or her) name to his (her) face like that boor in those TV commercials that touted this high society fruit spread. Remember that? Sitting at a long dining table with members of a high society family breaking bread, this out of place boor shatters the stuffy air when he blurts out in a southern drawl, asking in his best polite manner, "Could you please pass the jelly!" instead of calling it by its proper name, whereupon the matriarch passes out from the audacious insolence.

The point really is don't make a scene by calling attention to yourself. If everyone in your company is saying Por-sha, don't be a dick and stand out like a sore thumb by saying Porsh, and vice versa. I'll bet ya any money Jay Leno says Por-sha in the company of other Porsche enthusiasts. But in front of a general audience he'll say Porsh because he doesn't want people to think he's a snob (when he's not) if he were to pronounce it Por-sha.

You won't change people's behavior by your insistence. You'll only change their opinion of you.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:46 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by man_of_ice
Germans pronounce it with a very clear e in the end. Not an a.

Problem is, that English speaking people will say it like they say "she" - more with an i pronounciation in the end. German e is pronounced different. Hard to explain in writing ;-)

So how about a movie clip where they say it from the horses mouth? From German tv:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...6&q=carrera+gt

He says it in the first sentence. Porsche Carrera GT
Excellent - thanks for sharing that!

What I need is someone who is German to record saying it 5 times in a row so I can just play it over and over until I get it right.

Quick Reply: How do you say Porsche?