Sponsored by:

Finally made a decision !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 11:18 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Nuts
AT - Black Full Leather (a tough one, my car needs to be fairly kid-proof, scuffed leather on the doors and rear side panels would drive me nuts).
You do realize, don't you, that the Adaptive Sport Seats are painted plastic on the back? These will scratch easily and are not at all kid-proof. The leather backed seats are easier to maintain and won't damage as easily as the painted plastic.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I personally think the Sports Chrono is a must. Whatever you decide, it will be an awesome car, congrats!
Old 01-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sports chrono is nice
I would say get the heated seats - you can't do it later, and it's not THAT much extra
if you don't mind the extra wait X51 is a VERY nice option, as is PCCB

Ever thought of a custom colour on the outside? (paint to sample)
Ever thought of a different interior, maybe two tone?
Old 01-24-2006, 11:31 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by pjconner
I personally think the Sports Chrono is a must.
Did you use to own a 997 with sports chrono, is that why you think it's a must? Just curious, not trying to be confrontational.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

btw, what is WART?
i'm lost on that one

edit>>
ohhhh, sport chrono, gotcha
Old 01-24-2006, 11:33 AM
OCBen
Banned

It's what you don't see on my dash.

<----------------------
Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
btw, what is WART?
i'm lost on that one
Old 01-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OCBen
It's what you don't see on my dash.

<----------------------
yeah I figured it out a few seconds before you posted :P
Old 01-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Did you use to own a 997 with sports chrono, is that why you think it's a must? Just curious, not trying to be confrontational.
No, I have not owned a 997, but plan to soon. From what I understand and have experienced by driving a few 997s is that the sports chrono allows for a more agressive throttle response, timing, and suspension settings.

I plan to track my 997 on PCA DEs and participate in (and lead) some p-car Sunday drives. My understanding is that this package, when in sport mode, allows for the most aggressive and response mode possible in the 997S.

I agree that the wart is useless and tacky.

Tell me your thoughts, besides the looks.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

All in all a nice blend of things. It's extremely hard to exercise restraint and just not go for everything! But, I have to interject another vote for full leather. While Porsche's nagahide (Arabic for female camel--naga!!) is quality stuff I ordered a car years ago and skipped the leather. When I later bought one with full leather I finally understood. Take another peek at the full leather.

Dan

997 S Cabriolet 6-speed
98 Non-Metallic Paint to Sample (custom blue)
06 Natural Leather Brown
CUC Painted Model Desig Rear Lid
M6H Brown Floor Mats
P01L Adaptive Sports Sts Lthr Int
V9 Black Top
XCZ Sport Shifter
XJT Rear Ctr. Console Makassar
XLF Sport Exhaust System
XRP 5mm Whl Spacers
XSB Sport Seat Backs in Leather
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
342 Heated Front Seats
405 19" Carrera Classic Wheel
450 Ceramic Composite Brakes-PCCB
451 Makassar Str Whl Multifctn
482 TPMS
498 Delete Model Designation
550 Hard Top
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
672 Extended Nav Module
680 Bose High End Sound Package
692 Remote CD Changer
801 Makassar Package
TD5 Tourist Delivery (12 May 06)
Old 01-24-2006, 05:49 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by pjconner
I agree that the wart is useless and tacky.

Tell me your thoughts, besides the looks.
Well, I've stated this before in threads on sport chrono, and so basically I'll repeat what I've said.

But besides the useless (to me anyway) and pretentious looking wart (we're in agreement here) the other thing I strongly dislike about sport chrono is the altered throttle map. ... So what does that leave me with other than a few features I can live with or without?

When I took a 997S for a test drive before ordering my car and switched on sport mode I got a good laugh out of the laughable gimmicky gadgetry. I turned to look at the sales guy who was trying to convince me to order it and said something like, "You gotta be kiddin' me."

My thinking is that when I've conditioned myself to the handling response of my car, where I've reached that point where I've become one with my car, where driving inputs are second nature that require no thought processes for execution, the last thing I would want in a split-second, emergency accident avoidance maneuver is to accidentally apply too much throttle and find myself going over the side of the road and down an embankment just because I forgot I was in the aggressive sport mode setting.

I would not at all be surprised if this were to happen to someone who survives the accident only to sue Porsche because that's the only reason he lost control of the car - he was confused as to which setting he was in and accidentally applied too much throttle.

If there was a way to leave it on all the time this feature might not be so bad then.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Well, I've stated this before in threads on sport chrono, and so basically I'll repeat what I've said.

But besides the useless (to me anyway) and pretentious looking wart (we're in agreement here) the other thing I strongly dislike about sport chrono is the altered throttle map. ... So what does that leave me with other than a few features I can live with or without?

When I took a 997S for a test drive before ordering my car and switched on sport mode I got a good laugh out of the laughable gimmicky gadgetry. I turned to look at the sales guy who was trying to convince me to order it and said something like, "You gotta be kiddin' me."

My thinking is that when I've conditioned myself to the handling response of my car, where I've reached that point where I've become one with my car, where driving inputs are second nature that require no thought processes for execution, the last thing I would want in a split-second, emergency accident avoidance maneuver is to accidentally apply too much throttle and find myself going over the side of the road and down an embankment just because I forgot I was in the aggressive sport mode setting.

I would not at all be surprised if this were to happen to someone who survives the accident only to sue Porsche because that's the only reason he lost control of the car - he was confused as to which setting he was in and accidentally applied too much throttle.

If there was a way to leave it on all the time this feature might not be so bad then.
I get why you don't want it... that makes a lot of sense.

My thoughts are that I will leave it off for most day-to-day driving. When I am out on a Sunday Drive carving canyons or on the track I will turn it on. Those are both distinct situations where I expect different things from the car, and that is what draws me to the 997S. My current 993 does not have that capability, so I am stuck somewhere in the middle with a set up that is neither ideal for the track nor the road. (I hope none of my 993 friends read this.)

I enjoy different suspension settings on my E55, for different driving situations.

Thanks for sharing your viewpoint. It is too bad that they put the clock on the dash, does anyone really use it?
Old 01-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a point re SC. The first time I took my car to a (new) track I put PASM in "Sport" but kept SC in "Normal" until I had learned the track better and had a sense of what the car would do without adding another variable to the mix.

It provides instant gratification on the road if you're bored, but for the track the loosening of PSM is its biggest value.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:43 PM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...My thinking is that when I've conditioned myself to the handling response of my car, where I've reached that point where I've become one with my car, where driving inputs are second nature that require no thought processes for execution, the last thing I would want in a split-second, emergency accident avoidance maneuver is to accidentally apply too much throttle and find myself going over the side of the road and down an embankment just because I forgot I was in the aggressive sport mode setting.

I would not at all be surprised if this were to happen to someone who survives the accident only to sue Porsche because that's the only reason he lost control of the car - he was confused as to which setting he was in and accidentally applied too much throttle...

LOL Ben...I hope someone's alerted Ralph Nader about this sinister device . sorry, I sincerely hope SC does not cause someone to have an accident due to applying too much throttle.

The chrono dial is dumb, but I got used to flipping Sport button/throttle remap on & off in my E46M3 so I warmed up to that aspect of it in the 997. Sport 'on' becomes the standard state that you get acclimated to and 'off' just becomes more sluggish mode.

Seriously, what we need is an old-world leathersmith who speaks only Bulgarian to fashion a fine leather patch, teamed up with 997 cupholder engineer to get a rotating wart which could rest submerged under the dashboard the 99% of the time when not being used....& give us a group buy . Apologize for thread hijack, the author P-Nuts will have a killer ride even w/o chrono.

Last edited by stan523; 01-24-2006 at 08:24 PM. Reason: error
Old 01-24-2006, 09:30 PM
OCBen
Banned

You liked that, did you Paul?.. LOL Well, knowing how litigious we Americans are, I wouldn't be surprised, like I said, if someone sues Porsche over that if they got into an accident and was hoping to win big bucks in a major lawsuit using the wart as Exhibit A. Right there planted on the Plaintiff's table.

Not sure where you were going with the patch there. Thought you had in mind something like "The Phantom of the Chrono" patch to hide the hideousness of the wart. But yeah, a pop up feature or make it a Stopwatch Delete option.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:54 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

I wonder if you could order sport chrono without the wart.... hmmm.. Porsche exclusive would likely be more than willing to oblige

Quick Reply: Finally made a decision !!!