Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 07:14 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man! We're all just joking around with Ben. Of course people should post replies if that's what they want. Or not. Its a public forum.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Scuderia
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI: there is a good discussion on the subject of car seats currently posted in the 996 forum.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:03 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
Man! We're all just joking around with Ben. Of course people should post replies if that's what they want. Or not. Its a public forum.
Yeah, and regular visitors to this forum know that you guys like to joke with me and I like to joke right back in a playful little banter, all in fun. But then somebody comes in, out of the blue, in a ****ty mood, and misinterprets everything. Then rags on me, blaming me for half his problems. ... Sheeesh!
Old 01-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Back to the subject ... I went to Babies R Us and carried several seats out to the car, trying to find one which fits well in back. Many have wider bottoms that do not fit well. I ended up getting the Eddie Bauer leather seat, that fits snugly and looks nice, and I have been very happy with it. (Some of the Eddie Bauer seats have narrower bottoms than most car seats.)

The Porsche seats are NOT designed to fit well in the back seats - they are intended for the front.
Glad you posted that, jcnesq. This is exactly the problem I had given up finding a solution for-- the narrowness of rear seat bottom cushion... been using an ill fitting wider Graco seat cocked at a slight angle, my 2 and 3 year-olds are still secure and belted fine, but it doesn't snug to the back of the seat.

Would really appreciate if you could post the model # of the Eddie Bauer you picked up.

Last edited by stan523; 01-12-2006 at 12:19 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 01-11-2006, 11:43 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

stan - This is the one I have (did not buy it from this retailer, just searched on the web):
http://www.specialtybaby.com/coedbapelehi.html

Notice the base is narrow. In searching, it looks like there may be another similar model but the base seems different.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:26 AM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the link, Jim that's great info.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:32 AM
S4to911
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 27 Posts

Well, now that all of the calamity about reposting has died down (where did that come from?)...
I have a 911 S Cab. I have 3,6, and 8 year olds. All of them have been in my Porsche (and all of them say "Daddy please put in in Sport mode"--they have learned early about the advantages of PASM).

How, you ask:

(1) The 3 year old is in a Century forward facing seat (Model 4482BRD, black with fairly minimal frills and arms, about $30 at Toys R Us) with a five point restraint (good for 20-40 lbs). I would put it on the passenger side if possible, but in a real pinch you could do the driver's side (I am 6'1" and it can work).

(2) The 6 year old uses the base of the Britax Starriser as a booster and uses the shoulder belt ($80 on the Internet). The Starriser comes with a back if you want to use it--it does fit fine.

(3) The 8 year old also has a Starriser, but since she is 8, and is now a big girl (about 60 lbs) she does not want to use a booster anymore like her 6 year old brother who is still a baby. She uses the shoulder belt, and it fits her fine in the back seat without the booster.

If you have an infant or a baby up to 20 lbs, the carrier of a "combo" seat (car seat + stroller seat) works fine without the base.

I hope this helps, and I do not mind reposting it.

Sure, this isn't discussing the HP of the 997 TT or having yet another Sport Chrono or Ferrari/Porsche flameoff. There are those of us, however, who do have small children and 911s, for which this information is useful, and should be reposted.

Contrary to popular belief, 911s and small children do mix well. For one, small children are the only ones who can fit in the rear seats for any length of time without going nuts. Second, the image of my 3 year old kissing the Porsche crest on the hood of my 911 before going to bed at night is priceless.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:52 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the recomendation USCHANDPOD. I went to "Little Folks" online and found the black/grey Parkway with True Side Impact Protection by Britax for $99 and free UPS shipping. What a deal! Here is the link to "Little Folks" for others who may be interested...

http://store.yahoo.com/littlefolks/newprdeofbrp.html
Old 01-12-2006, 03:23 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

BTW, I removed the leather rear seat bottom (as I recall it is just velcro'd down), just to make a little more room and keep it from being mashed up.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:01 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

My apologies if post was repetative. I don't usually look at this board. I have an '06 CS and I spend my time on that board. Buddy of mine (not a rennlist member, yet) just bought an '06 997 and asked about the car seat for his kid so I inquired on his behalf.

Thanks to those who posted helpful responses.

Now, please feel free to start a new controversy about a Cayenne S owner posting on the 997 board.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:22 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

I have had good luck on test drives with the Britax Roundabout for kids under 4 (maybe older if your child is small like my daughter). In 1999, I had a 5500 pound van travelling at 45 MPH without hitting his brakes rear end me while I was sitting still on a 2 lane road with a car stopped in front of me. My son (then 1 year and 1 day - and first time forward facing) escaped with only bruises from the strap marks from such a violent impact. I was knocked unconcious from my head hitting the head rest so hard (I actually bent the frame in the seat). The car was totaled, but my son walked away better than I did.

I plan to use the Roundabout (which I think they've updated with a new model) in the 997 for my 3 year old daughter when she arrives. I'm obessive about installing seats properly after the accident (fortunately my wife was BEFORE the accident), and in the test drives I was able to get the seat tight enough where I feel the seat itself with a child in it could withstand a high speed roll over (who knows how the car would protect us though <g>).

I use the Britax Star Riser booster seat for my 7 year old son and it works too. I'm thinking about removing the back of it though (it is two pieces and is intended to be detached) because he's a really tall kid (4'7") and I think the seat belt will fit him perfectly with the "boost" that the booster seat provides.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:15 AM
W211
Racer

Question Sorry to bring an old thread back to life

Originally Posted by STATMAN
Thanks for the recomendation USCHANDPOD. I went to "Little Folks" online and found the black/grey Parkway with True Side Impact Protection by Britax for $99 and free UPS shipping. What a deal! Here is the link to "Little Folks" for others who may be interested...

http://store.yahoo.com/littlefolks/newprdeofbrp.html
Did you guys fit the Parkway in the 997 backeat without removing the cushion base?
Old 10-01-2006, 12:14 PM
erv
Advanced

Ron, I have 2 roundabouts I use in my other cars and I couldnt get either one to fit in the back of my '06 997. Maybe the latest model has a narrower base but I would def. check the fit before buying.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:30 PM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Ben,

Thinking about buying a new Porsche. Think I should get Tiptronic or manual? My wife will be using the car .0001% of the time so I was really considering the Tip.

Also, any way to hook up an iPod to my 997?

Thanks for your speedy reply.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:33 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

erv - I have a 2006 997 as well and the roundabouts (at least the ones I have) worked fine for me. The trick was thata I had to roll up a two towels to fill in the gap between where the base contacts the bottom seat cushion and the back of the seat. On the cabriolets there's an additional back pad that doesn't exist on the coupe which could make some difference, and britax has updated the roundabout in recent years so perhaps the base shape is slightly different.

w211 - no, I did NOT remove the cushion base. You should leave that in tact so the seat has something to dig into. Remember, you should be climbing into the seat with BOTH knees into the seat and then tightening the belt. When you get out the seat should push up against the belt and be very snug (no side to side wobble, but you'll get some SLIGHT fore and aft movement). Again, you have to use rolled towels as mentioned earlier to get this effect.

NOTE: The way I roll my towels is that I have them like they are foled to be put away and I simply roll the wide side into what looks like a huge short burritto.

stumil - unless you are getting a turbo, get the manual especially BECAUSE your wife won't be using

Quick Reply: Car Seat