Sport Chrono and Sport Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Sport Chrono and Sport Exhaust

I should route this to OCBen first to make sure that I didn't miss something in the archives,--but here goes...

Been monitoring the Porsche Club of Great Britain 997 site which is quite similar to the rennlist. In there was some discussion on the Sport Chrono Option and the Sport Exhaust Option. Apparently, when you select Sport Chrono ON the Sport Exhaust comes on with it. Is this true? What if you want the SOUND but not the more severe throttle mapping from the Sport Chrono?

Do we have to resort to the little trick of disconnecting the Sport Exhaust air pressure switch over the engine so that it defaults to ON all the time? (I sure HATE to be driving through some little town in Switzerland and be making too much noise for them between 80 kph and 120 kph!)

I'm thinking that if they are electronically linked I'd like to install the Sport Exhaust switch separately (not tied to the Sport Chrono setting).

I understand that those with the Sport Exhaust but no Sport chrono option get the switch on the dash.

Dan

997 S Cabriolet 6-speed
98 Non-Metallic Paint to Sample (custom blue)
06 Natural Leather Brown
CUC Painted Model Desig Rear Lid
CO2 U.S. Standard Emissions
M6H Brown Floor Mats
P01L Adaptive Sports Sts Lthr Int
V9 Black Top
XCZ Sport Shifter
XJT Rear Ctr. Console Makassar
XLF Sport Exhaust System
XRP 5mm Whl Spacers
XSB Sport Seat Backs in Leather
Z0997 Custom Tailoring
2493 Exterior Color to Sample
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
342 Heated Front Seats
405 19" Carrera Classic Wheel
450 Ceramic Composite Brakes-PCCB
451 Makassar Str Whl Multifctn
482 TPMS
498 Delete Model Designation
550 Hard Top
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
672 Extended Nav Module
680 Bose High End Sound Package
692 Remote CD Changer
789 997 Paint to Sample
801 Makassar Package
TD5 Tourist Delivery (12 May 06)
Old 01-10-2006, 09:13 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you are correct. You have to do the disconnect trick if you want it on all of the time, or you have to turn it on with the sports button (with sports chrono) or on with the dedicated button if you dont' have sports chrono.

Some people have posted that they are working on other fixes, but I'd be reluctant to accept those for fear of warranty claim reprisal.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:48 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Agree. But when PSE is ON (sport chrono ON), PSE will go OFF between roughly 30-50 mph (50-80kph?), and AFAIK no way to disable that automatic shutoff feature (there was a fix for the latter on 996's).
Old 01-10-2006, 11:43 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Agree. But when PSE is ON (sport chrono ON), PSE will go OFF between roughly 30-50 mph (50-80kph?), and AFAIK no way to disable that automatic shutoff feature (there was a fix for the latter on 996's).
I think I read somewhere (and later observed in a test drive) that the sound starts to become more tame at 3500 RPM's and goes to the "off" position at 4000 RPM's. I thought (and hope) that the unhooking the cable eliminated this because the valve can't open and close (it just remains open).
Old 01-10-2006, 11:44 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

BTW, maybe ocben will dig up the threads that discuss this (including the ones with the visuals that show how to disconnect the plug).
Old 01-11-2006, 12:00 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to disappoint. But I don't do Sport Chrono and I don't do Sport Exhaust, since I have neither. You're on your own here. But by now you guys should be able to the kind of thorough search that would make me proud.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:43 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Sorry to disappoint. But I don't do Sport Chrono and I don't do Sport Exhaust, since I have neither. You're on your own here. But by now you guys should be able to the kind of thorough search that would make me proud.
OK Ben, I've got ya covered. Apparently there IS a way to keep PSE in a 997 ON all of the time. I recall seeing it a while back. See post #27 in the thread below.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=PSE

Now someone is going to have to try this and report the findings on this thread. (Damn, I'm starting to sound like Ben!) I can't try it, 'cuz I have a 996 w/o PSE.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:05 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I just did the Valentine One hardwire, and this shouldn't be much more difficult, except for running the wires into the cabin.

If it is just an electrical switch, one should be able to rig up a switch in the cabin to switch modes.

It would be nice to add the non-Sports Chrono switch onto the dash next to the sport mode switch - wonder if Porsche makes another panel that would accomodate another switch - it looks like it was designed for more that they are using.
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2006, 01:39 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Its wired into the system so impossible to do electronically without modifying the system software. However, by simply removing the vacuum tube that connects to the engine, PSE will be ON all the time (the vacuum tube operates the internal gizmo in the mufflers that opens/closes the bypass, and when there is no vacuum, PSE is on). Probably very easy. [Mine was added after purchase and was installed on all the time, not hooked into the system.]
Old 01-11-2006, 03:07 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks for all the answers. It reinforces what the Brits have found over there. I can't believe that software controls everything. I'm thinking of running another 2-pair wire back into the engine compartment from another switch on the console (the PSE one) and use it to control the sound regardless of the Sport Chrono setting. Will start to play with that after I get the car. I can't see how software would be affected because if you physically disconnect the air pressure switch over the engine the software would report a break in the line and issue an alert. I'm thinking it's not that smart. If I put the physical break in the cockpit beneath the correctly marked switch I get the same results, but add the convenience factor.

Thanks, again.

Dan

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono and Sport Exhaust