Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me about the factory paint proccess

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 05:13 PM
rmklaw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

State Lemon laws do not apply to this scenerio. Staqte lemon laws address repetitive repairs or repairs where the car is out of commission in excess of thirty days within the determination period of time. The paint sityuation is simply a failure to disclose prior damage or repaint. It falls under tort law, contract law, and possibly under the Unfair Trade Practices Act (UFTA) or equivalent consumer protection legislation. If it falls under the UFTA equivalent, in general, there are provisions for treble damages and attorneys fees. This is a great motivator for a dealer and manufacturer to get the issue resolved.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:20 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gota911
I am not a paint expert, and don't claim to be, but I recall reading some posts on the 996 forum regarding getting the bumper cover repainted due to having stone chips. Many of them stated that the new clear coat was not as durable as the factory clear coat.
I have had my front bumper repainted about four times (and my rear cover once). I would say that the quality was as good or better than original. If you find a really good shop, you can get great quality.

Having said that, I wouldn't accept a new car at a new car price with NON factory paint. If they won't give you a new car, they should refund a large portion of the purchase price.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:52 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rmklaw
At the risk of being repetitive. If you purchased a new car without knowledge that it had previous damage or had been or needed repaint, not only you do not have to take it but you are entitled to your money back and cancellation of contract. Anything else is unacceptable.

In addition you may have additional remedies against the dealer and Porsche. Talk to a commercial litigation attorney. If you PM me, I will discuss with you your legal rights in private.
If the above offer is not accepted and/or this remedy pursued then clearly we are not getting the whole story... it is that cut and dry. Don't accept repaint, hire an attorney, do what he/she advises, win, get reimbursed, move on. Period.

WTFITPODIA?
Old 01-10-2006, 11:01 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Okay Johnny, WTF does WTFITPODIA mean anyway?
Old 01-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCBen
encouragement as applied by the foot ...
Old 01-10-2006, 12:52 PM
OCBen
Banned

LOL ... I had no idea Johnny was a podiatrist!
Old 01-10-2006, 02:33 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

That was a two handed, ten digit "piano chord style" bang on the key board for dramatic emphasis... I added the question mark as a bit of artistic flare.

Distilled champagne made me do it.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:13 PM
OCBen
Banned

Distilled champagne???

I was starting to decipher it and was coming up this interpretation:

WTF Is The Problem ... Or Dare I Ask?
Old 01-10-2006, 03:45 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Distilled champagne???

I was starting to decipher it and was coming up this interpretation:

WTF Is The Problem ... Or Dare I Ask?
Damn Ben! You are good! You have a very promising career in cryptology ahead.

Didn't buy the "piano chord style" bang story? Oh well.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:26 PM
OCBen
Banned

Nope, but I bought the distilled champagne part!
Old 01-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Chilipadi
Track Day

Originally Posted by rmklaw
I would not advise you to accept a repaint (don't take this as legal advice). Keep in mind that under the law, you will have to disclose to any subsequent buyer that the car was damaged and had a field repaint. That clearly affects marketability.

To determine the diminution of value, you will need to take a point in time where you would establish as the selling point and obtain a dimminution of value report. If you search the Internet, there are many appraisal/adjuster services available. In that price range you could be looking at $20,000 hit. As examples in a couple of cases we are handling, a Mercedes CLK 2004 is taking a $10,000-$12,000 hit even after restoring with full replacement (no repairs) to factory new from a rear ender.

The big issue is your legal duty to disclose to subsequent buyers. If it was my car, I would not accept it. Good luck.
It is much easier to prove diminution of value when the car is new as opposed to used which provides a wider range. I had a new Cayenne S for only a few months when someone ran a stop sign and hit me. Damage not including rental cars for 2 months was about $15k. The party at fault paid for all of it w/o question but balked at diminution of value. Let's say I insisted value was lost due to the accident in the range of $8-10k. Long story short they paid me $8k. So I would either not accept the car or expect compensation.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:28 PM
mdonline
Instructor

ask them for a 15k refund on top of the showroom repaint. I'd take that. Move on and enjoy the car. It is better than paying the lawyers.

When you sell it, everything has a price and everyone has a budget. Knock off 15k and you can unload it in a hurry.

Quick Reply: Tell me about the factory paint proccess