Sponsored by:

Dead Battery and Roadside Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 02:39 AM
hedgehog
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery and Roadside Assistance

I just took a 5-day trip and came back to the dead battery. I took delivery of the car in Oct. 2005. I purchased the Porsche battery charger this evening and when I hooked it up, the charger indicated there was a "fault" with the battery so I unhooked the charger and called Roadside Assistance. They dispatched someone from AAA to jump start the car and told me that the service person would know exactly what to do (they would make sure he had the necessary instructions to do the work). He was a very nice person and eager to help, however, he was not at all familiar with how to get the trunk open, etc. I showed him how to do it and then connected the cables to the battery. However, the car would not start. He offered to tow it to the dealership but was also uncertain of the best way to get the car onto the flat bed (where to connect the towing hooks, etc.) and was concerned that something would be damaged. Anyway, I told him to leave the car for now and I would call the dealership in the morning for best procedures to follow.

Has anyone encountered this problem with a fairly new battery after just a few days of no driving? Also, what do you think is the best thing to do now - I am not very comfortable with "Porsche-AAA" assistance at this point.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:04 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like it may not be the battery but some relay or fuse failure. You should probly have it towed to the dealer. Explain to roadside service about your previous experience. I don't think towing a 997 is that difficult on a flat bed but check the manual to see if any special instructions. I think the tow hook is on the front bumper.

If you are sure it's the battery, you can call dealer to see if they'll replace it if you take the battery there without the car. If so, that's probly the easiest if you are handy.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:02 PM
MMD
Banned

You're exactly right. Porsche "Roadside assistence" is the same as AAA's is the same as BMWs etc.

They're all just..., ahem..., shall we say "ordinary" towtruck operators who want to get the job done for the normal motorist know-nothings who have breakdowns.

Best thing to do is be as self sufficient as possible:

Expect the "operator" to know nothing about your car. E.g. the only thing he knows is how to operate a tow truck and where the battery is in a Ford.

RTFM!! and TELL HIM how to jump the car

UNDERSTAND EXACTLY how our cars are to be dragged onto the flatbed truck

Call back the SPECIFIC TOW OPERATOR and CONFIRM they're sending a flat bed truck and ONLY a flat bed truck.

Jeez! This Roadside Assistance is a TOTAL euphemism!

OH! NEVER drive (or buy?!) a car without a spare tire.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:06 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

OH! NEVER drive (or buy?!) a car without a spare tire.
Oh, NOW you tell us!
Old 01-07-2006, 02:17 AM
hedgehog
AutoX

Thanks for your help and advice. I took the battery out of the car and to the dealership. They ran a few tests and told me that the battery seemed to be fine so they charged it overnight and gave it back to me. I put it back in the car this evening and the car started up fine. Drove it for a while and the "PSM Failure/System Fault" light came on. I will put the battery charger/maintainer on it over the weekend (just in case) and bring the car in for diagnostic testing on Tuesday. We'll see what happens......

Quick Reply: Dead Battery and Roadside Assistance