Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Same problems in 997?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 01:18 AM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MMD, check back with the selling dealer to see whether they still can sell you a extended warrenty. I still think it is better to get it thru the selling dealership even the price may be a little bit higher. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:21 AM
Stephenkng
Racer

MMD, I got a 7/100 for $4K with $100 ded. If the repair is done at the selling dealership, it has NO ded. Good Luck.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:21 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

You'll find that today's Porsches are much more reliable and go further with less service than in any time in their history. But, like any high performance vehicle, you do need to take care of things. Many years ago I was on a Spring tour with others in the Porsche Club and some idiot was running RECAPS on his 911SC. The left rear one failed and totally TRASHED the left rear fender. You don't SKIMP on things that are critical when you own a Porsche. When you buy a Porsche you can expect to pay a bit for maintenance but it's not really out of line with other cars today. This will be my fourth decade of driving Porsches (911s) and it's worth every cent in satisfaction.

Dan

997 S Cab 6-speed
Paint to Sample, Black Top,Hard Top, Nat Lthr Brn, Brn Mats, Delete Model Desig, Painted Model Desig Rear, Adap Spts Sts Lthr Int, Spt Seat Backs in Lthr, Heated Seats, 19"Classic, PCCB, 5mm Spacers, Spt Shift, Spt Exh Sys, Self Dim Mir, TPMS, Spt Chrono, Ext Nav Module, Bose, remote CD, Makassar Str Whl Multifctn, Package, Rear Ctr. Console, Zuff. Del
Old 01-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be very careful in selecting a warranty. The factory warranty is the safest way to go. I once bought a Corvette ZR1 and bought an independent warranty as the factory sponsored warranty was not available. I had transmission problem a few months later and the alleged warranty would not cover any part of the problem.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:19 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Harris
Be very careful in selecting a warranty. The factory warranty is the safest way to go. I once bought a Corvette ZR1 and bought an independent warranty as the factory sponsored warranty was not available. I had transmission problem a few months later and the alleged warranty would not cover any part of the problem.
That happens a lot because not many people have the patience to read through all the details of the warranty coverage. The best warranties IMO are the ones that simply specifiy what is excluded from coverage. The other problem with warranty companies is that many of them go bankrupt.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:41 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by fast1
The other problem with warranty companies is that many of them go bankrupt.
Sounds like a good business opportunity FOR THE OWNERS of the warrenty company.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, I would agree that the percentage of people who inquire about issues with the 996 would more than likely be higher than people who have nothing wrong with their cars.

I've had two 996's since 2001 with a combined mileage of 85,000. I'm not saying nothing is going to go wrong with my 2004 (33,000 miles) but so far no major issues with either engine.

Rob
Old 01-02-2006, 05:22 PM
SDP
Intermediate

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Based on the discussion, I think I'll get the factory warranty when I order my car. The peace of mind alone will be worth the 4 grand, thus the actual warranty will be free! At this point, I'm thinking of waiting until June and ordering an '07. I'm hoping for no changes; to my eye, the '06 is about perfect. Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:58 AM
Stephenkng
Racer

SDP, please note that Porsche do not offer factory extended warrenty. However, you can purchase on thru the dealership. But they are still not the factory warrenty.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

SDP: Here's another take on this. Have you considered self insurance by creating a "repair fund" for your future 997. Namely invest today the $4K you would have used for an extended warranty in an easily liquidable but high yielding investment. You will not need it for at least 4 years (if ever), afterwards use it when you need it and keep what you don't.

Either case is a matter of risk management, only difference is how it's done and how much control you want.

Cheers.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:14 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Stephenkng
SDP, please note that Porsche do not offer factory extended warrenty. However, you can purchase on thru the dealership. But they are still not the factory warrenty.
If the extended warranty is not from Porsche, you should do yourself a favor before purchasing the warranty offered by the dealer and read the fine print in the actual warranty contract regarding how much leeway the warranting company has to substitute non-Porsche parts in making the repairs. Obviously it is much, much better to have OEM Porsche parts used in your repairs. IMHO
Old 01-04-2006, 02:40 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fast1
. . .The best warranties IMO are the ones that simply specifiy what is excluded from coverage. The other problem with warranty companies is that many of them go bankrupt.
SmartMoney.com published an article entitled "Are Extended Warranties Warranted?" You can read the article at http://www.smartmoney.com/consumer/i...story=20030319

The most interesting part about this article is towards the bottom, where the author suggests "Your best strategy is to go online and get quotes from individual dealerships across the country, as well as the independents such as Warranty Gold and 1SourceAutoWarranty.com. Once you have a few quotes, ask your dealer to match the price. If he won't, take your business elsewhere."

If you click on the link for Warranty Gold, you will find that the insurer of Warranty Gold’s extended vehicle service contracts is being liquidated in legal proceedings currently pending in the Cayman Islands, and that Warranty Gold itself was forced to file Chapter 11 bankruptcy last summer.

If you click on the link for 1SourceAutoWarranty.com, you will find that the Insurance Commissioner of the State of Hawaii issued "Cease and Desist" Orders to 1SourceAutoWarranty and First Assured Warranty Corporation prohibiting them from conducting the business of a service contract provider pursuant to Hawaii laws, and from selling or offering for sale any service contract that is purportedly insured by PrimeGuard Insurance Co., Inc. Also, on December 19, 2005, the Circuit Court of the State of Hawaii issued an “Order of Liquidation” against PrimeGuard Insurance Co., Inc. because of PrimeGuard’s insolvency and hazardous financial condition.

So, its caveat emptor big time for a consumer purchasing "extended warranties" right now. The best advice is to do business with a dealer that has been around for a long time and whose reputation will not allow it to swallow having one of its customers to be cheated by an insolvent warranty company.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast40th
SDP: Here's another take on this. Have you considered self insurance by creating a "repair fund" for your future 997. Namely invest today the $4K you would have used for an extended warranty in an easily liquidable but high yielding investment. You will not need it for at least 4 years (if ever), afterwards use it when you need it and keep what you don't.

Either case is a matter of risk management, only difference is how it's done and how much control you want.

Cheers.
I would have to agree with Fast40th on this one.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:56 AM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by riad
I would have to agree with Fast40th on this one.
me too, i use insurance for things that could be a potentially devasting loss, such as a huge lawsuit or catastrophic illness...if i can afford the loss, i tend to sell insure....this includes appliance warranties, extended car warrarnties etc...even the lasers in my office i dont have extended warranties...overall i have ended up way ahead financially and insurance statistics show this also....dealers only offer extended warranties because they end up making big money off them.......
Old 02-06-2006, 11:43 PM
WJS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Larry Harris
I just placed my order for a March-Build C4S. Dealer told me that factory warranties are not available, only third party offerings. What's the real story? This is my first Porsche and I intend to own it for a long while and drive it to death.

Quick Reply: Same problems in 997?