Sponsored by:

Installed a Hella Air Horn

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 11:56 AM
Speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed a Hella Air Horn

I know it's a small thing, but I don't care for the sound of the Porsche horn; I really prefer a more European sound (for want of a better description) such as my '73 Dino has. So, when I had my clear bra installed this week I also had them put in a Hella Air Horn. The entire unit, two horns and a compressor, is mounted entirely inside the battery compartment and takes up no space in the trunk. They also hooked up a switch inside the passenger compartment to switch over to the OEM horn in the event anything happens to the Hella.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:28 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

So how does it sound? Louder?
Old 01-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Speed
Pro

Default Hella Air Horn

Originally Posted by jcnesq
So how does it sound? Louder?
It's no so much louder as a brighter, higher tone rather than the lower tone of the OEM horn, which I think commands more attention since it's so much more distinctive than everything else on the road today which all sound alike.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Weissy
Instructor

I had one of these on my jeep many years ago... I think I installed it in a high school haze so it might be my own fault but I remember when ever I used it the battery meter would dip substantially and the lights would dim when the compressor was activated. Is there any of this at all with your installation?
Old 01-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Speed
Pro

Originally Posted by Weissy
I had one of these on my jeep many years ago... I think I installed it in a high school haze so it might be my own fault but I remember when ever I used it the battery meter would dip substantially and the lights would dim when the compressor was activated. Is there any of this at all with your installation?
Of course,things have changed from our high school days (at least mine) and the 997 doesn't have a battery meter, but I haven't noticed any dimming of the headlights when I've used the Hella.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:01 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am curious...where is the normal horn located? If your Hella is now in the battery compartment, does the lack of an exterior air port for the Hella impact its volume or 'tone' when heard, say, 50 feet in front of the car? Could the Hella have been installed where the normal horn resides?
Old 01-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Speed
Pro

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
I am curious...where is the normal horn located? If your Hella is now in the battery compartment, does the lack of an exterior air port for the Hella impact its volume or 'tone' when heard, say, 50 feet in front of the car? Could the Hella have been installed where the normal horn resides?
I believe that the OEM horn is also located in the battery compartment because my installer pointed it out to me when he was explaining where the Hella horn went. It's to the right of the battery when you're facing the car and the Hella is installed on the left. Believe me, the Hella is loud enough to be heard where it needs to be heard.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:02 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So it sounds hella good, eh? ... I'm tempted to try that mod. I hate the wimpy sounding stock horn - kinda embarrassing actually.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:15 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,229 Likes on 668 Posts
Thumbs down So it sounds hella good, eh?

OMG, I can't believe you said that.

Your Fired!!!
Old 01-02-2006, 11:26 PM
OCBen
Banned

No Doubt too corny, eh? ... Sorry 'bout that.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Ben,
If you should decide on the Hella install I would suggest having it riveted or welded to the roof or hood. Much LOUDER that way, and if hood mounted you can always see it. Also, if some envious bastard were to steal it you would notice it immediately. Caution...do not mount it inside the inside of the car!
Lar
Old 01-03-2006, 11:24 AM
OCBen
Banned

uzj100 suggested mounting a set of those triple horns that you can program to play La Cucaracha and other annoying melodies.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:06 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speed: Thanks for your horn info. I complained about the less-than-desirable sound of the OEM horn in a posting back in August of last year, shortly after I purchased my 997S. Thanks to your information, I can continue with the much-needed replacement.

There are two main brands of horns available - the Hella horns, and some that are made by PIAA. Why did you choose the Hella horns that you installed in your car?
Old 01-04-2006, 12:54 AM
Speed
Pro

Originally Posted by lawjdc
There are two main brands of horns available - the Hella horns, and some that are made by PIAA. Why did you choose the Hella horns that you installed in your car?
Basically because that's what my installer recommended (and could let me listen to before he installed it) and because he said that's what Ferrari uses; as I noted in my original post, I was really looking to replicate the sound of my Dino horn.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:34 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The oem dual electric horns for the steering wheel are under the front bumper cover.

The single round metal horn next to the battery is for the alarm. No offense, but I would not mount horns next to the battery if I really wanted to be heard by others.

When I put in my air horns the bumper cover was off. The compressor and 2 horns were mounted in between the 2 front radiators. This place was chosen so the sound could project from the front of the car. I retained the oem electric horns, so my air horns are a few inches away.

Quick Reply: Installed a Hella Air Horn