Sponsored by:

997S v 997 4S

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 04:34 PM
dealmaker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullet
The other reason I'm skeptical is that 8 seconds on the 'ring is a HUGE difference - way more than I'd expect if there was one (not to mention in the wrong direction!).

Show me the money!

-B
Bullet,

As ronmart says - 8 seconds on the ring is like 1 second on Laguna Seca - every lap I do on the 'ring I end up with a significant differnce due to differing weather conditions (even on other parts of the track!), tyre temps, traffic!

The "official" line from Porsche is that both cars (C4S & C2S - 997's) post IDENTICAL times on the ring (back to back) - the un-official word from the guys at the track (and the technical team based there) is where the difference is reported (read the German forums) - I will try and find some links. The explanation given for this is the improved traction, and the greater grip afforded by the wider track and wider tyres?

I didn't believe it either (and have no axes to grind as I have a C2S and a C4S at the moment!).
Old 01-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Bullet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember corectly, the official lap time for the 997 C2S was 8:02. I also remember that the official time for the 997C4s was identical to that.

8 sec faster would be 7:54. That is a HUGE difference, like what one might expect from a 996GT2. I still find it very hard to believe that AWD is going to make that kind of a difference on 2 stock 997S's.

In fact, I don't believe it at all, especially the part about the AWD version being faster than RWD, on dru pavement. This is just too much . . .
Old 01-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by USCHANDPOD
First let me start off by stating that I am a bored waiter on a 997S ordered in Sept. and supposedly arriving in March. What I am curious to know, having never owned a Porsche previously, is why would anyone in a relatively dry climate should/would purchase a 4wd system on an automobile with powerful software stabilizing the tail end. Does the 997 need the extra stability of 4wd that the 996 and prior models might have benefited from? Doesn't the added weight, size (loss of storage space) and expense to maintain outweigh the cosmesis and added stability.

Sorry if this subject has been discussed previously because I would imagine it is similar to picking chocolate or vanilla ice cream. Common question with strong opinions for a variety of reasons. I choose the RWD because of Southern California conditions and the guidance of a friend who is very involved with Porsche.

One final thought if RWD is so stable why build the turbo on a 4wd plaform?

Thanks
One thing that is amazing to me are the number of first time Porsche owners here. Apparently, Porsche is doing something right by designing something that is appealing to a broader market more than ever before. Because of that, I can understand your question and concerns.

I, too, live in your climate (just up the road in Santa Barbara) and even though I drive a lot in snow (having lived in Colorado, Boston, New Hampshire, Europe, etc.) I just like the feel of a 2-wheel drive 911. It's a personal feel thing. I also wanted the space in the trunk (as I have a cab on order).

The turbos went to AWD as the power generation coupled with novice Porsche drivers is a poor combination. The 911 was for many years a very squirely car to drive effectively. Much has been done to 'dial out' that handling,--most has been done with the massively wide rear rims. The PSM system has done the rest.

Frankly, I'm amazed at the number of Carrera 4S cars I see in town. But then, some people buy cars thinking 4 is better than 2 and order accordingly.

I want a car that's lighter, and still has some '911' in it.

Dan

997 S Cabriolet 6-speed
98 Non-Metallic Paint to Sample (custom Ferrari Racing Blue)
06 Natural Leather Brown
CUC Painted Model Desig Rear Lid
M6H Brown Floor Mats
P01L Adaptive Sports Sts Lthr Int
V9 Black Top
XCZ Sport Shifter
XJT Rear Ctr. Console Makassar
XLF Sport Exhaust System
XRP 5mm Whl Spacers
XSB Sport Seat Backs in Leather
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
342 Heated Front Seats