Sponsored by:

Pirelli P Zero

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 12:06 PM
Buzz911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
Where are you running your car over 150? The salt flats?

I've been up to 165 once, and a few times over 150, but that was on a long stretch of Nevada highway with new tires, no traffic and perfect visibility. Plus, I never held the speed longer than about 10 seconds.

With these all-season tires, I don't think I'll be approaching even 130 let alone 150. I already have too many speeding tickets as it is anyway. This should help me abstain from speeding.
No, no salt flats in Florida. There are some long lonely straight stretches of i-95 here and that's where I've let it out to 150 plus. I wouldn't advise that though.... unless you're used to that kind of speed, you can get in trouble in a hurry. Those nice long sweeping turns turn into right angle corners and if I see even a dot way ahead of me, I roll out of the throttle. Closing speed on a car going the speed limit is incredible. Not the thing to do very often.

And, yeah.... why did your friend in the WRX want less traction? Seems strange. I think I'd want MORE!
Old 12-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Sorry Paul, with all due respect, your friend is nuts.
LOL! Yeah, he could be. But I understand where he's coming from. He was complaining that his tires had far too much grip, and combined with 4WD, he wasn't having as much fun as he'd like. He likes to break loose on occasion and the only way to do that with grippy tires is to go VERY fast, which is very dangerous. So now he's having more fun and doing it with a safety margin.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:55 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

Has anyone had the BFG G-Force. Motor trend (i think) had a tire test and it did very well in the dry test. In So Cal I don't need the perfect wet tire. They seem to be priced right also.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:52 PM
Buzz911S
Instructor

LOL! Yeah, he could be. But I understand where he's coming from. He was complaining that his tires had far too much grip, and combined with 4WD, he wasn't having as much fun as he'd like. He likes to break loose on occasion and the only way to do that with grippy tires is to go VERY fast, which is very dangerous. So now he's having more fun and doing it with a safety margin.
To anyone who read "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", this should bring back some memories. These two characters in the book rented a Caddilac and were try to slide around corners with it. It wouldn't slide without nearly turning over so they put 80psi in each tire!!! The slid then! If you haven't read this book it is insane and insanely funny. You should have told your friend to just air his tires up to 70psi and he could slide on any kind of tire!
Old 12-27-2005, 08:23 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Buzz911S
To anyone who read "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", this should bring back some memories.
I heard a lot about that book. Wasn't it made into a movie too?
Old 12-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Buzz911S
Instructor

I heard a lot about that book. Wasn't it made into a movie too?
Yeah, it was made into a movie.... but read the book. It's about two guys who are hired by a magazine to cover an off road race in Las Vegas. Man, do they get into some predicaments!
Old 12-28-2005, 10:47 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Might want to look here. The tests were made with a BMW. Good article though
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=7
Old 12-31-2005, 09:39 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Tires

My C2S has been ordered and I'm trying to get the dealer to have the PS/2's installed if I could choose which tire goes on this new car. If not PS/2's, then regular P/S would be fine.

I know it all depends on what Prosche has at the time, but dealer is willing to switch out to whichever tire if possible.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 01-01-2006, 03:05 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I love my P-Zeros and will buy them again. Great dry & wet (tested today) traction. And if my car had come with the Michelins I would have insisted on a switcheroo for the Pirellis.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:52 AM
Stephenkng
Racer

I believe you do not have a choice of the tires.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:57 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephenkng
I believe you do not have a choice of the tires.
I've been told that as well....but some (many?) dealers will swap for you. Of course you pay the difference if what you choose costs more than what you're swapping. (Don't know if they give you back the difference if the tires you want cost less than the tires that came on the car) Which raises an interesting question. What do the dealers do with the swapped tires--sell them as new? Hmmmm, isn't that a
Old 01-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You definitely do not get a choice of tire,--it's whatever was on the top of the heap when they mounted the tires on the rims. (Many years ago I wanted Pirellis and got Dunlops (yuck) but some nice kid accommodated me within 60 days by slashing all my tires over there in Germany). I got the Pirellis.

Dan
Old 01-04-2006, 10:57 AM
donkeyman
Banned

I just installed the p-zeros rosso on my 996 Targa. So far I am happy with them. Plenty of grip and significantly quieter and more comfortable than the continentals it came with.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I've used about 4 sets of P-Zeros on my 2001 996. The only thing I didn't like about them was the wear. I use my Porsche as a daily driver, and the P-Zeros may have been a tad too soft.

Pilot Sports came with my 2004 and at first I really didn't like them, but I must say I've grown into them and they wear much better than the P-Zero's.

jmtc,
Rob
Old 01-06-2006, 12:40 AM
Driveby
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigwave
Has anyone had the BFG G-Force. Motor trend (i think) had a tire test and it did very well in the dry test. In So Cal I don't need the perfect wet tire. They seem to be priced right also.
Have BFG KDWs on my lightweight wheels for the M3. Excellent tires in wet and dry and good wear despite lots of hard launches. I consider them in the range of PS2s at a much lower cost.

Quick Reply: Pirelli P Zero