Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery dead now PSM failure... ?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 07:55 PM
rjl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery dead now PSM failure... ?????

First my battery goes dead (was travelling for 3 weeks) then i get it recharged and fire the car up and now i am getting a PSM failure.....any ideas whats up ?
Old 12-24-2005, 09:40 PM
MMD
Banned

Check manual under changing battery. Specifically suggests a solution for resetting the PSM light by turing wheel and the driving in a straight line.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:25 PM
Buzz911S
Instructor

I know this may sound stupid....but when my trunk/hood kept popping up the light in the trunk would run the battery stone cold dead in no time. I knew the battery still had minimal voltage in it, so all settings were probably still saved. Instead of disconnecting the battery, I found a way to hook my battery charger on the battery without taking any terminals off. I closed the hood to turn that light off and then trickle charged the battery....still hooked up for the entire night by running the charging clamps down the windshield and onto the battery. This way you c an close the wires without pinching them. I let it charge a bit more than overnight and it started right up, nothing was out of place.... everything had been saved. I know this is a b it late, but if it happens again... charge it with the terminal connected at a long slow rate. I've never had a problem since.

If your battery fails completely, do you know how to jump the hood latch so you can get to the battery? Very simple.... but I had to call the dealer to find out.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:11 PM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How..

How do you open the hood if the battery is dead???
Old 12-27-2005, 11:04 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

simple ope drivers side fuse compartment pull out lead for jumping battery ( not for jumping car to start) lead in the fuse box labled for this.. hook negitive lead to door latch on frame of car the hood will either pop open immediately or just pull the release at this time... then jump the car off as normal from the battery...

the psm failure will come on but drive it a bit and it will reset itself....

the computer will continue to run in the car if the keys are left in the car,,,, just so you know,

i finally had to have battery replaced at six months .. showed a week cell in the battery
Old 12-28-2005, 02:29 AM
turkish_eyebrow
Advanced

I had the same prob. The dealer had to re-set the computer. Took about 30 minutes and no charge.

I hope this helps.

Oz
Old 12-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Buzz911S
Instructor

Yep, in the 997S, pop your fuse panel and look for a pair of "fuse pullers" that look like littile pliars. Then grab the red "fuse" and slide it out til it stops. Then touch a wire to the red contact, and touch the other end to (I used the door stop) and you'll get a small spark and the hood will pop open. But, then you have another problem of trying to charge it with the trunk light on. You can't close the hood on the wire, so run the wires to the charger out the back of the hood and up the windshield. YOu can then close the hood.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:10 PM
P997C2S
Advanced

Yeah, Porsche left out the 50 cent switch to shut the front compartment light out. Just pop the light out and remove the bulb. I do it all the time.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:20 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by P997C2S
Yeah, Porsche left out the 50 cent switch to shut the front compartment light out. Just pop the light out and remove the bulb. I do it all the time.

I'm not sure that will stop the battery drain. If you remove the light the car will still KNOW the trunk is open and possibly have unnecessary drain.

What you can do (what the Porsche service guys do) when they have to leave the trunk open, is use preferably a bent screwdriver to "latch" the trunk closed by pusing down on the right part of the latch to snap it shut without using the hood. Then put some colored ribbon or other visual remonder to hit the trunk switch to reset the latch before you try to close the hood.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:37 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

or just buy a battery tender which plugs into ciggerette lighter
Old 12-28-2005, 05:18 PM
Buzz911S
Instructor

Originally Posted by P997C2S
I did take my bulb out after the trunk started popping open randomly. A lot of guys had that trunk latch problem. Mine popped open while I was driving about 50mph and the dash display went nuts... Sure am glad the latch held that aluminum hood down! That's why my battery ran down in the first place. It popped open and I didn't notice it because I was driving one of my other cars for a week or so. Talk about dead. I'm surprised I was able to charge it. If I had to garage mine for a long period, I would get the trickle charger made by Porsche, as noted above.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:41 PM
hedgehog
AutoX

Is the Porsche dual-mode battery charger/maintainer capable of charging a dead battery or is this more for "topping-up" and keeping up a charged battery?
Old 01-03-2006, 08:25 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by hedgehog
Is the Porsche dual-mode battery charger/maintainer capable of charging a dead battery or is this more for "topping-up" and keeping up a charged battery?
The output is around .5 amps. Would take 160 hours to charge our batteries (more if left in car because car draws current). So it's more for "topping-up" but more accurately more for "replacing" the current drain occuring even when the car is parked.

Quick Reply: battery dead now PSM failure... ?????