Sponsored by:

Autovisual Touch-up paint stick

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 11:55 AM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Autovisual Touch-up paint stick

I saw this company advertised in a Porsche magazine.They manufactuer touch up pens that contain your original paint.You then are able to touch up rock chips or scrathes.Anybody heard or used this item.It seems like a fairly good idea if the paint is original.Web site is www.autovisuals.com.Any thoughts?
Old 12-21-2005, 12:09 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used their "paint pen", very please with them, recommended
Old 12-21-2005, 12:54 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Touch up paint from the factory and a tooth-pick work great for me...
Old 12-21-2005, 01:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

You will find http://www.paintscratch.com/ has a broader selection of paint codes in their system. They have a simple look-up system, and their service is first rate and fast!

Dan

997 S Cabriolet 6-speed
98 Non-Metallic Paint to Sample (custom Ferrari Racing Blue)
06 Natural Leather Brown
CUC Painted Model Desig Rear Lid
CO2 U.S. Standard Emissions
M6H Brown Floor Mats
P01L Adaptive Sports Sts Lthr Int
V9 Black Top
XCZ Sport Shifter
XJT Rear Ctr. Console Makassar
XLF Sport Exhaust System
XRP 5mm Whl Spacers
XSB Sport Seat Backs in Leather
Z0997 Custom Tailoring
2493 Exterior Color to Sample
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
342 Heated Front Seats
405 19" Carrera Classic Wheel
450 Ceramic Composite Brakes-PCCB
451 Makassar Str Whl Multifctn
482 TPMS
498 Delete Model Designation
550 Hard Top
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
672 Extended Nav Module
680 Bose High End Sound Package
789 997 Paint to Sample
801 Makassar Package
TD5 Tourist Delivery (Grand Tour 11-12 May 06)
Old 12-21-2005, 02:51 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There is a smarter way of repairing small stone chips yourself so that you won't be able to tell, nor will anyone else, where the chip once was. Not so with these color-coded touch-up paints, which anyone can spot from just 3 ft away. But it requires more effort on your part, and it's not for those who think a Porsche is just a car or a mode of transportation or a car for pure tracking fun -- a car to be driven only, and anything you do for appearance sake that takes time and effort....is a waste of time and effort. For those of you (and you know who you are) these touch-up paints are fine.

But for those of us on the opposite end of the spectrum there is a smarter way to go about repairing small stone chips, and it doesn't involve trying to buff away the chip or scratch (for those of you thinking ahead). This is something I learned from the pros and I plan to detail the process complete with pics once I get a stone chip on my car (with only 1700 miles in 6 mos and a clear bra, it may take a while). But if there's anyone in the local area who has such a stone chip that would like to have it removed I'll do it for free just for the sake of documenting and photographing the process. Otherwise I'll just explain the process in detail and supply photos later.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:15 PM
woodranch
Pro

I live in Los Angeles.I will be your gunea pig.Let me know how to get in touch with you.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:27 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
There is a smarter way of repairing small stone chips yourself so that you won't be able to tell, nor will anyone else, where the chip once was. Not so with these color-coded touch-up paints, which anyone can spot from just 3 ft away. But it requires more effort on your part, and it's not for those who think a Porsche is just a car or a mode of transportation or a car for pure tracking fun -- a car to be driven only, and anything you do for appearance sake that takes time and effort....is a waste of time and effort. For those of you (and you know who you are) these touch-up paints are fine.

But for those of us on the opposite end of the spectrum there is a smarter way to go about repairing small stone chips, and it doesn't involve trying to buff away the chip or scratch (for those of you thinking ahead). This is something I learned from the pros and I plan to detail the process complete with pics once I get a stone chip on my car (with only 1700 miles in 6 mos and a clear bra, it may take a while). But if there's anyone in the local area who has such a stone chip that would like to have it removed I'll do it for free just for the sake of documenting and photographing the process. Otherwise I'll just explain the process in detail and supply photos later.
I would be extremely grateful for any any such write-up as I am getting a clear bra done next Tuesday, and would like to know how to properly touch-up my paint chips prior to the installation. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:31 PM
drhendrix
AutoX

Me too. Very interested. I just bought my black 997 from a member here (rss997) and want very much to have a clear bra installed now. But first, I'd like to get rid of (or deemphasize) the rock chips.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:34 PM
OCBen
Banned

Good deal. PM me with contact info and let me know availability. I'm off all week and next, but after Christmas will probably work better (still have some last minute shopping to do). Your place or mine, doesn't matter. Allow about a 2 hr time slot, that's all it should take. Oh, and let me know whereabouts in LA you live. I live in central Orange County.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:38 PM
drhendrix
AutoX

I'm in Ladera Ranch. Any hints as to exactly what your process is for handling rock chips?
Old 12-21-2005, 03:40 PM
OCBen
Banned

Holy Moly! ... Woodranch was first! ... Didn't realize the demand here.

Fuenfer, I'll try to do the write-up before the weekend so you can attempt to DIY with instructions alone.

Dr. Hendrix, PM me and let me know where you live. Maybe we can do a group session if possible. If not, and depending on when you'll be getting the clear bra, maybe I'll have the instructions and pics available by then.

EDIT: I see you anticipated my question.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:10 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

While we await OCBen's appoach, I will second (third?) the use of a paint pen. If anyone is interested I will provide the brand. Additionally, there is a also a great product for removing any excess paint easily and without damage. The net result is that chips and keyed areas can be covered very well. Having previously used a toothpik/matchstick, I can attest from my experience that the paint pens are GREAT!
Old 12-21-2005, 04:33 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Soon after posting on this thread, I received the Porsche touch-up paint I'd ordered (black). It appears that the Porsche touch-up paint package includes both a color coat and a clear coat -- I'm more used to "single-stage" touch-up paint, so I look forward to trying these out.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:43 PM
woodranch
Pro

What exactly is single stage mean.When you are trying to fix a rock chip don't you just fill it in with the paint pen or do you also need a clear coat?How do you know if it is deep enough foe clear coat?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:33 PM
alin330
Instructor

OCBen, Group session is a great idea can I come and watch

Quick Reply: Autovisual Touch-up paint stick