Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the stupidest thing you ever did to/with your 997?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 04:56 PM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wow..

Originally Posted by djantlive
I decided to haul a full size stereo rack in the back of my cab. Having taken a living room end table a week before without a hitch, I thought the stereo rack would be a cake walk. I was wrong. Not loading the stereo rack flat on top of the back seatbacks, I ripped the rear side panel. I didn't panic since I knew I would have to replace or repair it. After 5 days, I had the panel recovered and I did the installation myself. Next time, get a beater to haul furniture or have it delivered.

First pic: End table that I hauled without a hitch

Second pic: Stereo rack that I hauled unsuccessfully..
Nice rack.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:58 PM
jjporsch43
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Boolala....the WRXSi couldn't pass me in the twisties or in straight line acceleration-he WAS trying! smoked his a*s.

JJ in SA Texas.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:56 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

Another non-Porsche story...

When I was in college I drove a fully restored bright red 1968 Mustang. One of my housemates decided to lock himself in my car late one afternoon before a gig (I'm also a saxophone player). He proceeded to taunt me for a solid 15 minutes before I decided to take action.

My plan was simple: sneak around to the passenger side of the car and unlock the door while one of my other housemates kept my jokester housemate distracted at the driver side window. After opening the door I would put the car in neutral and it would slowly start to roll backwards down the graded driveway. My friend in the car would put his foot on the brake, stop the car from rolling and we'd all have a good laugh.

Didn't happen that way, though...

I snuck around to the passenger side, unlocked the door and put the car in neutral. It slowly rolled backwards down the graded driveway. The passenger door then caught the row of shrubs next to the driveway and proceeded to bend back on the hinges - ruing the door skin and buckling out the front passenger side fender. Needless to say I ended up incredibly angry - mostly at myself for not thinking any of this through. My friends though this was hilarious.

One of my other bandmates and I had to drive off to the gig. To add insult to injury, as I pulled away, the running horse emblem fell off the side of the car into the street and my other housemates burst into laughter.

At least I can look back on it and smile.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:26 AM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol sorry about the Mustang, doc.

This was dumb, just plain dumb. I let a female friend drive my 997S -- she a friend for 20 years, I figured everything would be cool since she is a quasi-car-nut, knows a 997 from a 996 from Boxster, etc.

First thing she says as we move off is: "wow, I haven't driven a stick-shift in a few years " ... gets worse-- she stalled three times in semi-rush hour traffic--each time crunching bendix gear on restart-- before the veins in my neck expanded to size of garden hose and we switched back. What was I farging THINKING?

Non-Porsche:
My first car was a '76 MG Midget (highly endorsed by parents as the size of the interior made it virtually prom-proof) with authentic old-school wire wheels/ single knockoff hub. Bought it for a song, I had to tow the Midget home because it came with a seized right front suspension/steering assembly. My brother had a junk '63 Midget behind the house which was doing nothing but slowly becoming one with the earth.

So I swapped out the steering knuckle/kingpin/spindle assy. from my bro's parts car (of course, no changes in suspension techno for MG between 1963 and 1976, this before PASM). A long weekend later had everything patched together, pounded the knockoffs on with the special wrench and ready to go.

Five miles into my my first drive--on the freeway doing 55 or 60-- the right front wheel SEPARATES FROM THE CAR, then the wheel PASSES ME on the berm as my new deathtrap scrapes to a stop without landing gear. Turns out that it was easier to jack up and dismantle the left front spindle assembly and hub from the parts car. My 17-year-old logic just figured it didn't matter, parts were symmetrical, '76 wheels worked okay with '63 splines and knockoff -- so the wheel rotation had spun off the LH-thread knockoff hub and shot the wheel off the car. Amazingly my stupidity caused no damage except ground-off lower RF sway link.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:54 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are some great car stories! ROFL at the last two (now that we can look back and laugh).
Old 01-01-2006, 11:28 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by undertheradar
The stupidest "thing" I ever "did" in my porsche...hmmm,,,her name was Heather...

She wasn't a smart girl...she might have been the stupidest thing I ever did in our outside of my porsche.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:13 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jjporsch43
Hey Boolala....the WRXSi couldn't pass me in the twisties or in straight line acceleration-he WAS trying! smoked his a*s.

JJ in SA Texas.
for geez sake, it's an STi, and your story reeks of horse****; even if the Porsche did out-handle it which is maybe plausible, there's no way you should've smoked him, especially in the straights, maybe won, but not by any discernable margin.

Quick Reply: What is the stupidest thing you ever did to/with your 997?