Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have pictures on how to remove the center console?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 03:12 PM
florindi
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does anyone have pictures on how to remove the center console?

Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone can provide me with pictures of removing the center console in a 997? Either digital pictures or Porsche manual diagrams would be better.

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!

Anthony
Old 12-17-2005, 01:32 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry for the delay Anthony. This link should lead straight to B & M's great .pdf file full of pictures for the short shifter install. Of course, removing the center console is part of that process. If you are going to remove the shift ****, it pulls off and requires great upward force.

Here's the link - http://www.bmracing.com/media/products/pdf/67.pdf

I've done it twice. And forum member gota911 has a great technique for pulling off the shift ****.

Good luck!
Old 12-17-2005, 09:07 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Johnny, thanks for the compliment about the **** pulling technique... er... I mean the shifter **** removal process.

Anthony - Some shift ***** have a set screw on them, but most OEM ***** do not. The set screw will be up high on the shaft after you have lifted the leather boot up. If you don't see a set screw, then the **** just pulls off.

Be careful when you pull the shifter **** off of the shifter. It will take a lot of force, and it will come loose suddenly. You can smack yourself pretty hard if this happens. I took two screwdrivers and placed on each side of the shifter shaft. The screwdrivers face in opposite directions so you can hold the handle of one screwdriver and the shaft of the other screwdriver in each hand. Sitting in the driver's seat, place your left forearm on your right knee. With your palm facing up, grab the left side of the two screwdrivers (already on each side of the shifter shaft) with your left hand and the right side of the screwdrivers with your right hand (also facing palm up). You can now use your left knee as a fulcrum and pry the **** off. It may go flying straight up, but you won't knock your teeth out.

If you received the "old" instructions with your B&M shifter, they will instruct you to disconnect the cables from the cable ends. DO NOT do this!

There are two important things that will make the process easier:
1. DO mark the cables, (this is a "just in case..." step)
2. DON'T disconnect the cables from the cable ends.

Instead of disconnecting the cables from the cable ends, you will just pull or pry the cable ends off of the shifter. Other than that, just follow the steps in the B&M link that Johnny provided in the post above. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Does anyone have pictures on how to remove the center console?