Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To tint or not

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 01:00 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm holding out for the photosensitive tint that completely disappears at night. 'Til then, no tint for me. I like maximum clarity at night.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:13 AM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ben, did you install the clear bra for your car
Old 12-15-2005, 01:34 AM
OCBen
Banned

Yes I did. Sorry for not posting this update on that long thread I started regarding the incident. I should have closed out it out properly with a concluding post. My bad.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:27 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

In the desert Southwest, tinting is not a luxury but a necessity. Cracked dashes and faded leather are not very cheap to replace. I don't care for the look of tint but I sure like my car a little cooler in the summer.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:26 PM
kcl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Holli82
In the desert Southwest, tinting is not a luxury but a necessity. Cracked dashes and faded leather are not very cheap to replace. I don't care for the look of tint but I sure like my car a little cooler in the summer.
My thoughts exactly
Old 12-15-2005, 12:44 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
From what I have read, removing a pro tint is very difficult so I would be sure you want a tint before you do it.

Marc
Not true. All you need is a heat gun.

Last edited by AeroSmith; 12-15-2005 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:37 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AeroSmith
Not true. All you need is a heat gun.
Accoding to this guy, who knows more about tint than me, it is not that simple.

Marc
Old 12-15-2005, 10:48 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

On a Porsche, clear.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:40 AM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Accoding to this guy, who knows more about tint than me, it is not that simple.

Marc
Interesting, I had a window's worth of tint replaced on our Audi and if I recall correctly all he did was take the heat gun and some soapy water to the old tint. But who knows, I wasn't paying very close attention.

Seems most of you anti-tint guys are from up north. It's everywhere here in the south. People don't think pimp when they see tint. In fact they don't think much of anything. Every mom and pop has tint on their vehicles down here. It's that common. In fact it's the non-tinted cars that are oddities.

One thing I like about tint, in addition to its sun blocking characteristics is the privacy it yields. I feel naked without it at this point.

For our cars I use a nice middle of the road tint, not too dark not too light. And I never use any on the windshield. Visibility at night is not an issue with all but the darkest shades. Tint always looks darker from the outside than it does to someone sitting in the vehicle.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:40 PM
kcl
Instructor

Originally Posted by AeroSmith
Interesting, I had a window's worth of tint replaced on our Audi and if I recall correctly all he did was take the heat gun and some soapy water to the old tint. But who knows, I wasn't paying very close attention.

Seems most of you anti-tint guys are from up north. It's everywhere here in the south. People don't think pimp when they see tint. In fact they don't think much of anything. Every mom and pop has tint on their vehicles down here. It's that common. In fact it's the non-tinted cars that are oddities.

One thing I like about tint, in addition to its sun blocking characteristics is the privacy it yields. I feel naked without it at this point.

For our cars I use a nice middle of the road tint, not too dark not too light. And I never use any on the windshield. Visibility at night is not an issue with all but the darkest shades. Tint always looks darker from the outside than it does to someone sitting in the vehicle.
I agree. I like tint just for the heat reduction. I hate the feeling of the heat on my face during traffic hour. As for removing tint, it's not that difficult to remove it,...it's just difficult to remove the adhesive that is left behind. I've tried it before, and it takes quite a long time.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:08 PM
OCBen
Banned

Default Illegal in California

Only the side rear windows can be tinted. Windshield, side windows, and rear window shall not be tinted according to the law:

"Transparent Materials

26708.5. (a) No person shall place, install, affix, or apply any transparent material upon the windshield, or side or rear windows, of any motor vehicle if the material alters the color or reduces the light transmittance of the windshield or side or rear windows, except as provided in subdivision (b), (c), or (d) of Section 26708.

(b) Tinted safety glass may be installed in a vehicle if (1) the glass complies with motor vehicle safety standards of the United States Department of Transportation for safety glazing materials, and (2) the glass is installed in a location permitted by those standards for the particular type of glass used."

CA DMV VEHICLE CODE, SECTION 26708

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm
Old 12-16-2005, 01:12 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Hey woodranch (original poster)...where are you located?

Ben, those laws are also in effect in CO...I have never been questioned or ticketed (and I have had 10 cars tinted...all over). Do they actually ticket you in CA. (BTW, 2 of my tinted cars are used by my kids in college in CA and they have never been questioned).
Old 12-16-2005, 01:16 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would never have my cars tinted. And I've had a lot of black on black vehicles. Don't like the look of it.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:17 PM
OCBen
Banned

A friend of mine was ticketed for the side windows. You see tinted cars all the time around here so obviously it's not strictly enforced. It's one of those laws in the books that gives cops the right to pull you over and check to make sure you are an otherwise good citizen with no outstanding warrants.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:23 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
A friend of mine was ticketed for the side windows. You see tinted cars all the time around here so obviously it's not strictly enforced. It's one of those laws in the books that gives cops the right to pull you over and check to make sure you are an otherwise good citizen with no outstanding warrants.
the cop would pick you apart once they stopped you...sir, do you know how fast you're going?...hmm did you tint your side windows? where is your front license plate? and by the way why is your 4 year old kid sitting in the front?....

Quick Reply: To tint or not