Sponsored by:

Thinking about selling the 997S for an Elise

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 03:14 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thinking about selling the 997S for an Elise

Yes, I know, I'm crazy. I'm also indecisive about cars. I love the 997S and its wonderful ability to function as a commuter and a sports car but after doing my first Driver's Education event, I'm thinking I'm more interested in the latter rather than the former.

That said, the 997S would make a wonderful car for track duty if tires, brakes, and maintenance weren't so horribly expensive. Not to mention, I'd be sick if I happened to have an unfriendly meeting with another car or solid object at the track.

So what do you think? What are the going rates for a 2005 GT Silver 997 Carrera S with 11,500 miles (MSRP was $91,400)?
Old 12-10-2005, 04:06 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Mr Bonus:

Sorry you can't do it. It was your car that influenced many here including myself to get the GT Silver Metallic.

Sorry you will have to keep it.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:52 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 996toomey
Mr Bonus:

Sorry you can't do it. It was your car that influenced many here including myself to get the GT Silver Metallic.

Sorry you will have to keep it.

Maybe I'll find a fellow Rennlister looking to upgrade.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

My guess for value is low to mid 70's.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:41 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the elise is a great fun car but i wouldn't want to be in one during a crash god forbid.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are in Delaware you should speak with John Walton who is the president of the local PCA chapter and who just bought an Elise. I saw the car today and it's a beauty.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:54 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Terry L
if you are in Delaware you should speak with John Walton who is the president of the local PCA chapter and who just bought an Elise. I saw the car today and it's a beauty.
I talked to John on Wednesday about it. His sentiments were similar to mine although he is a far more accomplished driver than I.

Terry, is that your Elise in your avatar?
Old 12-10-2005, 09:46 PM
frayed
Race Car

Crazy.

I was an Elise waitlister. Passed on it b/c, well, the car is generally outperformed by the Boxster and is w/o question a car that is less than the sum of its parts. It should be phenomenal, but they aren't as great as they should be on track and have a kit car feel in terms of build quality.

I really, really wanted to like it, but in the end got my deposit back. There's a reason why the dealers are flushed with them.

Before you jump, watch the 5th gear vid on coochas.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:26 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by frayed
Crazy.

I was an Elise waitlister. Passed on it b/c, well, the car is generally outperformed by the Boxster and is w/o question a car that is less than the sum of its parts. It should be phenomenal, but they aren't as great as they should be on track and have a kit car feel in terms of build quality.

I really, really wanted to like it, but in the end got my deposit back. There's a reason why the dealers are flushed with them.

Before you jump, watch the 5th gear vid on coochas.
I drove one and do believe that the 911 is a superior car. While the Elise has an utterly fantastic road feel and steering, I agree that the overall quality leaves a lot to be desired. The Elise has a very singular function while the 911 feels like Porsche wanted to build the best overall car.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:54 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by MrBonus
The Elise has a very singular function while the 911 feels like Porsche wanted to build the best overall car.
Singular function or not, it's slow for what it is. Straight line or around a track. Sad actually, I wanted it to be so much more.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:12 AM
AW
Pro

I own an Elise with all options including the sport suspensions. Here are my impressions:

Positive
- very well balanced mid engine car, especially after changing the
stock alignment
- reasonable power/torque in the street
- fun no nonsense car for weekend driving
- great engine sound

negative
- very hard to get in and out of, especially when parked near another car and I'm not exactly very big
- lack of bumper makes it risky to park in the street
- very impractical as a daily driver (no front trunk / tiny rear trunk)
- so small that makes passengers feel vulnerable on highway. An SUV could roll on the liz
- minor incident can be expensive since the front and rear clam shells cannot be repaired. They cost 10-15k each.
- it is possible to damage the suspension mount points such as a new tub is required. This can make off track excursions very costly.

On the track, it is pretty slow. With it, I'm about 10s slower than I was with my Elise
motorsport which was about 400 # lighter. The S2 would really need
better suspensions and tires. (I have been using the stock yokohama
048 kinda R compound tires)

I think the Elise could become a decent street / track car compromise
but it would need:

- larger adjustable front sway bar
- 6 point harness / bar
- fire system
- new suspensions to at least lower the car
- new wheels (need different size) to fit some toyo RA1

Because of the cost of replacing the clam shells, a light incident in the elise could be as expensive or more expensive to fix than a light incident with a Porsche. If you want a better track car, get a GT3, there are plenty for sale. If you want a fun, small car for weekend / mountain driving, get an Elise.

AW
Old 12-11-2005, 12:29 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Thank you for the honest response, AW. I've kicked around a GT3 but really have little complaint about my sole experience with my S as a track car. I had no idea that the clam shells were so expensive.

Perhaps I'm overreacting to the cost of 19" PS2s and should hang onto the car that I've already lost so much in depreciation already.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:53 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The Elise is a POS that would get spanked by a chickster on the track. That I wouldn't have. Just take your 997S to the track a few more times, maybe try the PDE. Taking my C4S to the track is an awsome experience, the fact that it cost 90k doesn't spook me, hell you only live once.
One more thing, get you some track rims so you don't have to worry about those 19s.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:23 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

First, that is my Elise as my avatar. Second, not every shunt will require that the front or rear clam be replaced - basically, it's fibreglass which can be repaired unless the piece is destroyed. Third, it is a little slow on the track in terms of lap speed but not in the corners - it's the drive out of the corners where it suffers, and of course in the straights. My winter project will be suspension upgrades, of which a lot are available, and tires, and I'll bet there is a really big payback in lap times. This car will never be a GT3 in terms of acceleration (short of the turbo and supercharger kits which are now available) but it's not supposed to be.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:37 AM
AW
Pro

Terry,

You are correct, fiberglass can probably be repaired. However, this issue is serious enough to cause insurance companies to total cars with light body damage. For example, look at the following car which has a salvage title:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17746

On the track, I was underwhelmed by how the elise handle corners. I have changed the suspension setup to add camber front and back and use 0 toe in front. The main issue is that the car is way too high even with the sport suspension. This combined with a weak front sway bar creates quite a lot of body roll. Here is a picture of my car showing this:

I don't think the Elise is POS by the way. It is a very fun drivers car and I wish that modern 911 and Boxster were lighter and as nimble as the Elise. But it could have been a lot better at the track.

AW

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling the 997S for an Elise