Sponsored by:

Porsche Sports Exhaust for 997 C4S Cab

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 09:39 AM
samka
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Sports Exhaust for 997 C4S Cab

I apologize if there have been previous threads on this topic which I have missed. I have just joined as a new member.

I am getting my 997 C4S Cab in Jan or Feb 2006. It will replace my 1998 2.5 Boxster. Can anyone please advise me if they think the factory sports exhaust is worth getting? I'd certainly like a good engine note but have read conflicting reports of how good the factory-fitted system is in the magazines.

I also have no previous experience of after-sales exhaust systems and am a bit nervous about going down that route.

Many thanks
Old 12-10-2005, 11:03 AM
OH997
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove a C4S coupe with Sport Exhaust and the sound is incredible. You can "shut off" the sport mode and have a stock sound if you want so it's the best of both worlds. If you can find a dealer that has a car with it installed you should check it out.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:49 PM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

For me it was a must have option. The sound is incredible and really adds to the driving experience. Porsche doesn’t claim any horse power gains form it, but to me the car felt just a little more responsive, this could have just been the difference in the cars I drove, I don’t know for sure, but I am sure I’m glad I have it. It is a $2400 option if you order it with the car and I was quoted about $3600 to add it on later, so you may want to order a car with it rather than add it later.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Ian C
Advanced

Sports exhaust on 997S is worth every cent but please get it with the Sports Chrono Pack as well and you can switch them both on together - it then feels and sounds a completely different car.
Interestingly, for some reason the 997S sports exhaust note is completely different to that on my previous 996 which also had factory fitted s/e .
Old 12-10-2005, 01:18 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ian C
Sports exhaust on 997S is worth every cent but please get it with the Sports Chrono Pack as well and you can switch them both on together - it then feels and sounds a completely different car.
I agree totally. Also, some aftermarket exhaust systems have a rpm range where they are "boomy" as they have not tuned out the resonance. Those systems tend to be annoying in the extreme. The Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE) is completely resonance free and an absolute joy to have.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:23 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

YES! It is a must have option... best in combination with the sport shifter and Sport Chrono. Wart and all.

Personally, I would not buy one without them... and the powerkit... and full leather... and the door finishers and rear center console in leather... and the fatter steering wheel... and, and, oh, wait... sorry, that's my next car.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:25 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PSE on S has a very powerful sound that is very much Porsche. Compared w PSE on a 996, it's crisper and there is less throatiness and more screaming. I'd definitely try to get a hold of a S w PSE to listen if you can. I think you'll be very satisfied. If you don't need the electronic cut out, you can just put on the muffler after delivery if you are exceeding your budget. PSE's muffler alone are about $700-1200 depending on used or new. Putting on the muffler is a $200 job at most dealers. The electronic is worth it though as you may want to have a conference call while driving sometimes.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:24 PM
rmklaw
Instructor

I picked up my new C4S last Saturday with the Sports Exhaust and Sport Chrono Package. head turner. Would not be without it.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:33 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Where does it all end?? (I ordered it on mine, too).

Dan
Old 12-11-2005, 05:38 AM
samka
Advanced

Thanks to you all for the helpful comments about PSE for 997 C4S cab. I am going to order this with Sport Chrono Plus.

I have heard the PSE on 996 C2 and 996 C4S and love those sounds.

Before I came to the site, I had been a little concerned because some (including the editor of GT Purely Porsche magazine, writing in the Jan 2006 issue) say the 997 PSE sound has more vibration and is disappointing compared with the 996 PSE.

I agree that there is no substitute for hearing the PSE but the OPCs here have been unable to find a car for me to listen to! I am in London, UK and car should be built in Jan or Feb 2006. I'll post pics/info when it lands! Thanks again for a great forum.

Quick Reply: Porsche Sports Exhaust for 997 C4S Cab