Sponsored by:

RUF at Essen Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 04:26 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
^ oh come on guys..when did you all start thinking silver and grey were the coolest colors in the world. hell half of you guys lived thru the 60's and 70's... remember when things like yellow, green, blue, orange etc used 2 be in style
Don't forget metallic root beer brown... oh, and baby poop yellow, too. Colors are definitely better these days.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:55 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AS
cause orange & green: (a) gets your attention; (b) is easy to remember; & (c) gets guys like us talking about it...
.....and (d) makes it easy to locate in the parking lot.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,129 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Love the supercharger (would be nice at 5000 feet elevation)
Actually, superchargers are not the way to go for us high-altitude folks. You would suffer the same power loss due to our thin air, unless you change the pulley size to compensate and add additional boost. However, once you drive down to sea-level with the new pulley, you risk detonation and motor destruction. Turbos, with their self-regulating wastegates, are the way to go for altitude compensation...
Old 12-03-2005, 12:40 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the heads-up, Grant. I was under the impression that a supercharger would be better than a turbo for high altitude, as you would not have the additional lag from a longer spool-up time. Does that mean that one of the SL55 or E55 Mercedes do not have an advantage at high altitudes?

p.s. I can't believe you had a 73 911S in Aubergine!
Old 12-03-2005, 01:08 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that Viper Green or one of RUF's own colors. At a visit to RUF back in September I do remember Mr. Ruf saying that Porsches are meant to be seen and that he didnt like the greys, blacks and silvers as they were boring.

harrY
Old 12-03-2005, 01:16 PM
eyue
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't mind driving that car, ( though I will not buy that car !! ). It's still a RUF and any data of the GREEN MACHINE...................
Old 12-03-2005, 04:17 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,129 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Thanks for the heads-up, Grant. I was under the impression that a supercharger would be better than a turbo for high altitude, as you would not have the additional lag from a longer spool-up time. Does that mean that one of the SL55 or E55 Mercedes do not have an advantage at high altitudes?

p.s. I can't believe you had a 73 911S in Aubergine!
Yes, a SC modded to give full boost at high altitude would be nice as far as lag goes. Maybe there would be a way to include a wastegate in an SC setup. Otherwise, it would only work well if you kept it at high altitude and never went on a roadtrip (or modded the pulley for the trip).

Something like an SL55 would make around 20% less than full power at 5,000ft. It has an advantage over an SL500 (which also loses 20% of its lower power), but an SL600 or SL65 would make WAY more power at altitude (close to the same as sea level with a bit more lag).

Yeah, that 73S in Aubergine was a beauty - my first Porsche ever. Bought it for $16k and sold it for $27k four years later. But, I still miss it. Glad to have the 73RS to help ease the pain

Quick Reply: RUF at Essen Auto Show