Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light triggered twice now...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 12:31 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light triggered twice now...

At almost one year of age, my 997 CEL has been triggered twice in the last week. After hooking the car up to the computer, it noted that there was a momentary misfire in some of the cylinders. Car runs fine, so they reset it and sent me on my way.

Well, it happened again this morning, and the car still seems to run just fine. My service advisor speculated that there has been some lower-quality gasoline hitting the market lately, even at "name brand" stations and the engine's tight tolerances can sense the low quality fuel. I did disagree with this theory since both times the light was trigerred the car had not been filled for days.

Has this happened to anyone else? They can't take the car in until 11/29 and provide a loaner, so the service advisor is faxing me a letter stating that the car is safe to drive until then.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:05 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a misfire issue as well. You can read about it here (link).

The dealer checked everything and could find nothing wrong. They changed the oil and the problem has, knock on wood, not returned. The day before I had the problem I topped off the oil. I may have overfilled it. I don't know if this could have caused the misfires or not. Only one cylinder misfired and if was momentary while pulling away from a stop sign.

Quick Reply: Check engine light triggered twice now...