Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Duster tips/techniques?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 08:59 PM
tarpon1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Duster tips/techniques?

checking some of the older threads i've found that the "california duster" is actually used by quite a few here; i've had it sitting on a shelf for a couple of years and with 2 black cars decided to give it a try hoping i wasn't committing a mortal sin by doing so. bottom line is i don't have the time to wash the cars every 2 seconds but i want to keep them looking good until the next weekend when i might have a chance to put a little more time in. i found these things work great for taking a light layer of dust off. i would brush straight across and then shake it hard and then brush again. is this the right method and do you guys have any other thoughts or recommendations for shortcuts?
Old 11-13-2005, 09:26 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I just run my duster over the car from fron to back. In fact, I dusted it late this afternoon instead of washing it. It os supposed to rain the next couple of days, so dusting was going to be enough.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:38 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I use mine quite a bit (always before I cover her up). A couple of things...Let the car cool down before using (if not the "wax" impregnated into the fibers will come off on the car). Use a very light touch and no circular motions. Let the duster get dirty (do not clean it, or even shake it). It works better as it gets dirtier.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 164 Posts

Also only use the duster on a car with plenty of wax (or other protectant - Zano, Rejex) on it!

And be sure to "drain" a brand new duster by placing it on an open newspaper overnight to remove the excess paraffin.

Statman is right, too. The dirtier the duster gets, the better it works (up to a point).

Use a very light touch; you're "dusting" not wiping.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used the CA duster; still use it on the interior, but have been using the regular size soft and nappy (won't scratch) Kozak Auto DryWash cloth to wipe down the exterior for about 15 years. It polishes/shines as it removes the dust and is especially good at removing the dark brake and other dust that is sucked up on the rear end. A life-saver during the winter when it's too cold to wash. Wipe in one direction only, and be sure car is completely dry. Although they're cheap, I buy them 3 or 4 at a time to give a way. I don't see a website on the package, but the NY phone number is 706-343-8111. They'll send you a catalog of the other cleaning stuff they have
Old 11-13-2005, 11:18 PM
MMD
Banned

Get a couple of them. Use one only for the wheels for a quick brake dust fix.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:46 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I don't buy into the dirtier it gets the better it works schpiel. I lightly use one in semi circle motions brushing any dirt away from the car. Before and after use I shake and run it over my hand a couple of times to knock any of the loose crap out.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:00 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I forgot about the newspaper...that's right (I think it says it in the instructions). I would not get my hands any where near it! Hand grease/oil is the worst thing for a car. I've been using it for quite some time and trust me its real dirty and it still works well.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:49 PM
turkish_eyebrow
Advanced

Does the duster cause the micro Scratches we are all concerned about? I would love t have a safe way to get the dust off of my car without washing it every week.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 164 Posts

If you have a good coat of wax on your paint - and if you use a gentle touch with the duster, being careful NOT to go in circles, you shouldn't create the dreaded "micro scratches" even on black paint.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:19 PM
tarpon1
Instructor

thanks for the input; i would have failed if this were a test...(-10 points for missing the newspaper step and another -10 for not having a good enough coat of wax on first); although at this point i've only used the bmw as a guinea pig twice and the duster's 2 yrs old so maybe some of the wax has come off. for a quick fix it works great though. it came with a smaller version as well. Jim; in referring to the brake dust were you recommending useing the Kozak cloth or the duster? i've noticed on the several bmw's i've owned that the wheels get trashed with a nasty layer of black brake dust almost instantly...they are also a pain to clean unless you blast them with a power washer which i've refrained from doing since that would probably get me voted off the island...
Old 11-14-2005, 07:44 PM
turkish_eyebrow
Advanced

Originally Posted by Leader
If you have a good coat of wax on your paint - and if you use a gentle touch with the duster, being careful NOT to go in circles, you shouldn't create the dreaded "micro scratches" even on black paint.

Many thanks.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:50 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Kozak Auto DryWash cloth. It removes brake dust on the rear of the car, and on the wheels. Also if you wax the wheels, the brake dust will come off easier. I try not to let brake dust remain on long enought to etch the wheels. I wash the wheels more frequently than the car.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:03 PM
HenryM
Advanced

I've been using the CA Duster about 6 months now and am very happy with the results. I lightly flow it over car in the direction wind would pass. As a result, I only washed the car twice this spring/summer. I use the small version on my 5 spoke wheels. Both the body and wheels are well coated with Rejex.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:43 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SrfCity
Personally I don't buy into the dirtier it gets the better it works schpiel. I lightly use one in semi circle motions brushing any dirt away from the car. Before and after use I shake and run it over my hand a couple of times to knock any of the loose crap out.
I agree. As the dirty CD did cause very fine scratches in my midnite blue that later buffed out. This occurred even with just a dusty car after driving 1//2 day, and slightly moving duster in the air flow direction.

I found it the CD will work well when new, do not use it with rather excessive grime. I prefer washing to remove dust and dirt.

Quick Reply: California Duster tips/techniques?