Sponsored by:

California Duster tips/techniques?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 11:01 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mo
I agree. As the dirty CD did cause very fine scratches in my midnite blue that later buffed out. This occurred even with just a dusty car after driving 1//2 day, and slightly moving duster in the air flow direction.

I found it the CD will work well when new, do not use it with rather excessive grime. I prefer washing to remove dust and dirt.
Yes, it will definitely scratch your paint if you're trying to remove even the tiniest amount of dirt with it, as you unfortunately found out the hard way.

It's a good product if used properly, but if you buy into their hyped claims that it will cut down on your car washes, you're going to end up scratching your paint if you're not careful.

(Marketers always seem to cater to laziness, and if they believe you'll buy a product just because it might save you some work, they'll pitch that angle into a distortion of the truth - your typical hyped claims, in other words.)

It's true that the duster will not scratch your car - if your car is clean and free of dirt already. But the duster will become the agent by which you'll scratch your paint if your car is at all dirty, as you drag the fine dirt over your paint introducing the dreaded micro scratches.

The duster, as its name implies, should only be used for removing dust - and only fine dust at that - not dirt. If my car happens to have a heavy coating of dust, I won't take the risk and will just wash it instead.

I use it for removing any dust particles off the car just prior to covering it for the week with a dust cover. On the weekends I wipe down the car in the garage with the duster at the end of the day so the dust and pollutants that have settled on the surface don't rest on the paint overnight. Oh yeah, a good coat of wax is a must, as others have pointed out, for using the duster efficiently.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:21 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Yes, it will definitely scratch your paint if you're trying to remove even the tiniest amount of dirt with it, as you unfortunately found out the hard way.

It's a good product if used properly, but if you buy into their hyped claims that it will cut down on your car washes, you're going to end up scratching your paint if you're not careful.

(Marketers always seem to cater to laziness, and if they believe you'll buy a product just because it might save you some work, they'll pitch that angle into a distortion of the truth - your typical hyped claims, in other words.)

It's true that the duster will not scratch your car - if your car is clean and free of dirt already. But the duster will become the agent by which you'll scratch your paint if your car is at all dirty, as you drag the fine dirt over your paint introducing the dreaded micro scratches.

The duster, as its name implies, should only be used for removing dust - and only fine dust at that - not dirt. If my car happens to have a heavy coating of dust, I won't take the risk and will just wash it instead.

I use it for removing any dust particles off the car just prior to covering it for the week with a dust cover. On the weekends I wipe down the car in the garage with the duster at the end of the day so the dust and pollutants that have settled on the surface don't rest on the paint overnight. Oh yeah, a good coat of wax is a must, as others have pointed out, for using the duster efficiently.
Ok...this may be an ignorant question, but how can one differentiate between dust and/or dirt? I think I know...but just would like to confirm.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 168 Posts

Dust moves when you blow on it. Dirt doesn't.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:11 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Ok...this may be an ignorant question, but how can one differentiate between dust and/or dirt? I think I know...but just would like to confirm.
That's actually a good question. And there's a simple test you can do yourself that'll be rather obvious once you read it.

If you get up close to the surface and blow it loose, it's dust. If it doesn't blow off but adheres and remains on the surface, it's dirt.

Dirt, generally speaking, is any film or contaminant that adheres to the paint surface and must necessarily be washed off for proper removal. (Dust if left to accumulate can gradually adhere on the surface over time.) If you try to wipe dirt off with the duster you'll generally introduce micro scratches as you drag the dirt particles across the paint. But you may not be as **** as some of us are (especially me) and fine microscopic scratches may not bother you. But that's how they are generated when you use the duster to wipe off dirt.

If you haven't read this yet, you might find the following thread on dirt and washing techniques useful:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/232170-preventing-fine-micro-scratches-and-keeping-your-new-car-looking-new.html
Old 11-15-2005, 09:13 PM
OCBen
Banned

Oops, guess John being the Leader that he is beat me to the punch. But yeah, that's the basic idea.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:25 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Oops, guess John being the Leader that he is beat me to the punch. But yeah, that's the basic idea.
Great. Thanks for the clarification!

Quick Reply: California Duster tips/techniques?