Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heel toe in 997, and break in period

Old 11-09-2005, 04:06 PM
Phil Sacramento 95 993
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heel toe in 997, and break in period

I just got my 997 2S few weeks ago, and find it difficult to heel toe because of the center console column. Any suggestions?

Second, are most waiting the full 2000 mile period before revving past 4250 RPMs?

Thanks,
Old 11-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Sands
Instructor

I've had a really hard time with heel-toe in my 997 2S. My method is heel on gas and toe on brake and it just can't be done. The accelerator pedal is just too far forward. I gave up on this. My next effort was to get Piloti driving shoes. They are very nice and comfortable too, but they don't fix the problem. My latest effort is to do what most seem to do, namely, rolling the outside of my foot onto the gas pedal. This works intemittently and, oddly, best the faster I am driving. I think this is so because you can be on the brake harder while blipping, and not put yourself into the windshield like I seem to want to do at slower speeds. I really doubt that it is the console that is making shifting difficult. I've thought about racing pedals, but am gonna keep trying the rolling method to see if i can get more comfortable. For me, it is almost like learning how to drive again because i used to be smooooooooth.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:32 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The stock pedals are great for it. I use the technique they taught me at PDE. Big toe and ball of the foot on the brake, push, and roll the whole outside of your foot onto the gas... blip, blip, blip. Took me some practice but now I can do it with even the lightest amount of brake pressure.

Doc Bundy suggests you lift your heel up off the floor as you brake and roll but the other instructors don't. Whichever, I keep it on the floor and I push my knee toward the center console as I roll my foot to the gas.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Persuader
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phil Sacramento 95 993
I just got my 997 2S few weeks ago, and find it difficult to heel toe because of the center console column. Any suggestions?

Second, are most waiting the full 2000 mile period before revving past 4250 RPMs?

Thanks,
Have had Three Porsche's now and have never ran them in. You will do more damage by NOT occasionally reving them higher than this during the first 2000 miles.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:04 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
The stock pedals are great for it. I use the technique they taught me at PDE. Big toe and ball of the foot on the brake, push, and roll the whole outside of your foot onto the gas... blip, blip, blip. Took me some practice but now I can do it with even the lightest amount of brake pressure.
Yep, that's what I do too. I actually find it easier in the 997 than in the 996 for some reason.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Persuader
Have had Three Porsche's now and have never ran them in. You will do more damage by NOT occasionally reving them higher than this during the first 2000 miles.
What damage is that?
Old 11-09-2005, 07:22 PM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ditto...

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis

Doc Bundy suggests you lift your heel up off the floor as you brake and roll but the other instructors don't. Whichever, I keep it on the floor and I push my knee toward the center console as I roll my foot to the gas.
I agree with that!
I tried to do more heel and toe at the POC Short Track event at Willow Springs last Saturday. It seems the heavier the braking, the easier it is heel and toe.

I had been reluctant to test the brakes on the track, but they work great!
Minimal fading, and they really stop you straight and quickly.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:08 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Phil: If you do a search on this forum (type in "break-in"), several break-in threads will come up. One is very long and contains just about every type of break-in strategy I've ever heard of; all the way from "strictly by the book (Porsche knows best)" to "Drive it like you stole it." After reading for hours on the topic, I've come to believe that Porsche's break-in guidelines are too conservative to break-in (seal) both sides of the rings properly. For that, I think repeatedly running up in the higher rpm range (no need to approach redline), then coasting down 20 mph or so from that with engine braking will help seal both sides of the rings. I also believe that full break-in can be completed in less than 500 miles. I'd go by Porsche's other break-in guidelines, such as making sure the engine is at full operating temp before running up in rpms, and varying rpms fairly frequently.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:46 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

PDE next week, hope to learn "Heel and Toe" on a 997!
Old 11-11-2005, 06:03 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I find it really easy to heel and toe...especially with the SPORT mode on, very easy.

But I use my toe on the accelerator, not my heel. Actually, more like the pinky toe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heel toe in 997, and break in period