Sponsored by:

battery problem, I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005 | 05:22 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by lawjdc
I need to get one of the trickle chargers,
Yeah it IS true. The Porsche mechanic told me the current draw on the battery (svc manual specs) when the car is parked and just sitting there. I'm pi**ed I can't remember exactly the number. BUT our cars DO have significant draw on the battery so a maintainer is a good way of life to institute. It's not good for a starter battery (as opposed to an RV "deep-cycle" battery) to be constantly discharged by just sitting there with a small current drain.
Old 12-19-2005 | 01:14 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

OK, I've ordered one of the Porsche Dual-Mode Battery Chargers. Now, this may seem like a dumb question, but if the charger plugs into the car through the cigarette lighter or one of the interior auxiliary power ports, and if the cord on the other end of the charger is plugged into a wall socket, how do you route the cord from the inside of the car to the outside without leaving the door open? Is the cord thin enough to allow the door to be closed on it?
Old 12-19-2005 | 01:38 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Look at the bottom rubber door seal. The 996/986 had a half moon cutout so you could close the door on the cord. I have not looked at a 997/987 to see if it is the same.
Old 12-19-2005 | 05:28 AM
PV
Pro

Dump the battery and buy a new one. Don't take a chance. In the beginning everything seems to be OK, however, you will find out the next time during cold weather that it is not OK.

Quick Reply: battery problem, I need help!