Sponsored by:

18" wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 11:08 AM
pauhana
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18" wheels?

Hi, this is my second post and I got such a good response to my ordering questions I know your feedback will help me. Here is the issue:

I'm thinking about a 997s cab or coupe and have the options picked etc... However it may not be until March until I can recieve the car. That is a bit of a bummer, but good things do come to those who wait.

That said, the dealer does have a C4 cab in stock I could go with now, with the "Launch Options" This means 18" wheels. I have mixed feelings about this. One, I like the look of the 19" wheels, but I am concerned about the ride. I ordered my M3 cab with the 18" after driving the 19" and felt it was too harsh. After several years with that car, I can say I did not miss the 19" wheel.

So if I went the route of the c4 cab instead of waiting for a 997s, do you feel I would be missing out on a key element of P-cardom? This is my first Porsche and it will be my daily driver. I have an Elise for the track etc... So comfort is an issue as my wife can't stand riding in my M3 with all of it's rattles and SMG. She is excited by the Porsche as the 997s she drove with me was much more comfortable. I would expect the C4 with 18" wheels would be even softer/smoother?

-Also, what about park assist? I love it on my M3 but this C4 does not have it for some reason. I would have thought that would be part of the lauch package?

Thoughts & feedback please! Once again, I do appreciate the feedback you give newbies like me.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:15 AM
AeroSmith
Pro

If you want comfort then you want PASM.

The S comes with PASM standard. It won't matter what wheel size you have from a comfort standpoint if you have PASM.

And press the button and all of a sudden you have a rock solid high performance setup. Press the button again and you're back to comfort. It's a neat feature. You get the best of both worlds. So I'd wait for an S.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:19 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Take the wait and get what you want! Don't settle for anything else!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:38 PM
SciFrog
Racer

Wait and get exactly what you want. If you can afford the "S" do it, you won't regret it. I really like the park assist, especially when you know the wife takes the car once and a while.
PASM is a must along automatic wipers and navigation (IMHO).

You might be better off with the 18'' wheels, but the 19'' come standard and you like them, so don't worry about it.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:19 PM
MMD
Banned

If you choose a dark color go ahead and get parking assist; sensors won't show. If a lighter color you might not like seeing the sensors which mess up the clean back bumper.

Your wheel problem is SOLVED: the sidewall on an M3 with 18s is the SAME THICKNESS as the sidewall of the 997S with 19s. The reason is the 997 tire diameter is one inch larger than the M3's tire diameter. I have both cars and verified this by measuring with calipers.

Quick Reply: 18" wheels?