997s tip question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 01:28 AM
Lotus350
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997s tip question

Hello,

I am thinking about getting the Tip on the 997s. Can those of you that have the tip share with me what you guys think of it? Overall, how is the tip in real day to day driving (as oppose to a quick 5 minute around the dealership drive). If you could go back in time, would you get the tip still?

Also, one thing that is holding me back too is the fact DSG is coming out next year. Any info on that?

Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2005, 01:50 AM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

If you get the Tiptronic, Sports Chrono is a must have. In addition to the throttle mapping everyone gets, with the Tip and Sports Chrono, the Tip tends to rev higher before shifting, and in manual mode you can actually hit the rev limiter.

On previous iterations you couldn't even max out first gear--it would always upshift to second short of the redline. With sports chrono the Tip is truly great although you don't get the involvment of a manual (if that's important to you, don't buy a tiptronic).

DSG may not appear for awhile--so I guess it depends on what you're going to be driving or doing while you wait.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:43 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

I have to agree with Paul. Definitely get the Sport Chrono if you are getting the Tip. The response is phenomenal and surprissingly quick compared to other Tiptronics I've driven. If you have to have that initmate feel of being one with the engine then you might want to consider the 6 speed manual. Lastly what I also love is when you shift back into Drive the transimision re-maps itself to mimic the way you were previously driving in manual. And if later you are moving at a softer pace it re-maps itself again to shift at RPM'S that match your new driving style. It's as if it knows when you want to run or jog.

Jay

Jay
Old 10-31-2005, 09:16 AM
carbon_00
Burning Brakes

I enjoy the tip on the track and on the street in rushhour..a perfect setup for how I drive my car.. certainly better then earlier versions..DSG would be nice but I'll wait and enjoy what I have.I would also suggest the Sports Chrono pkg, I love it
Old 10-31-2005, 02:38 PM
Lotus350
Advanced

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: 997s tip question