Sponsored by:

Prep for Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 03:37 PM
hedgehog
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Prep for Clear Bra

Hi everyone - I picked up my 997 two weeks ago and will be taking it back to the dealership for a 3M "Automotive" clear bra next week. I was told that this is basically the same technology as the "Aerospace" product but there are now different product names for different industries (same warranty applies to both). Has anyone heard of this? Also, do I need to do anything to prep the car for the clear bra, like polishing or waxing? The dealership told me that I should not do anything. Since picking up the car, the only thing I have done is wash it once.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:57 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The surface needs to be clean, no wax or polish of any kind. If you have any chips, you should touch it up a few days before install.

Dealer subcontract it out and their cost is usually $1k. If you find a good clear bra installer yourself, you can usually do it under $700. You have to find someone good though and not base your decision on price alone. Check for recommendation in your area in car forums for Porsche, Ferrari etc. Although 3M is a popular brand of material, I've had excellent experience with Venture film myself after 1 yr of use. You should also ask about among of coverage since bumper can be partially covered or pulled covered. Also, covering door sills would be great but usually no done. I recommend headlight, full bumper, fender caps, frontal hood, sills.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:54 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No wax is correct. But polish is okay for bringing out the gloss as best you can before covering with the film. But only a pure professional polish like 3M's Imperial Hand Glaze which clearly states on the label that it "CONTAINS NO WAX OR SILICONE". But if you're not too particular about getting the highest gloss just prior to film installation, you can just wash it and it'll be fine.

Just spent a good portion of the afternoon today polishing my front bumper cover in preparation for clear bra installation.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:28 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

Anyone know a top-notch installer in/around Atlanta GA? TIA.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:29 AM
lmmotola
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a dark color such as midnight blue, does the clear bra affect the sparkle or shine on the front hood? I am concerned that the bright shine might not be so bright anymore.

Quick Reply: Prep for Clear Bra