Sponsored by:

Do NOT get in the way of a man within 36 hours of an M5 lease termination

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 02:43 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee
.....I don't understand the statement the 997S is "no M5". Even in straight acceleration the 997S is faster. On the twisties, the performance difference will be even greater.

If you are talking about comfort or roominess, the 997S is "no M5". Performance wise, no comparison in every aspect, IMO.
Well said Jlee
Old 10-28-2005, 02:56 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I was not married with kids, I would have bought out the M5 after lease. However, the residual was $48,000 and the simple fact is that I just bought the 997S and my wife would leave me if I spent another $50K on a vehicle within 3 months. Plus, I would have to buy the extended warranty also.

She limited me to $500 a month for a daily driver. I ended up getting a QX56 which is obviously a different planet away from the M5 - and more money. But, I get the accelerated depreciation through my business which equates to about $12,000 directly into my pocket next year from the IRS, and about $5,000 back the year after that. For this reason it was a good decision. The wife is happy, the kids are happy, I am happy - I now have a truck for the ski season - and I can drive the 997S whenever I want.

As for the "997S is no M5" comment, I stand behind that. The 997S is the greatest sports car in the world. But the M5, for a family sedan, was the most understated stealth Beast on the road. The pickup was amazing, the handling was amazing, and the safety was amazing (that DSC saved me twice during the 3 year lease - the first was on an on-ramp at 45 mph). It pulled HARD from a stand still and stopped on a dime. Sure the 997S is the same way, but it is just different. For you M5 owners out there, you know what I mean.

As for driving the 997S hard, make no mistake about it - I will have my moments. I am still in break in, for starters. But I need more practice in the 997S to learn its limits - after all I had the M5 for 3 years. I am looking into the PDE courses now.

-adam
Old 10-28-2005, 03:03 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

jlee-

You're right. After I posted my previous post, I realized the only point I had was that I found the M5 very underwhelming. Why rain on 1080iaddicts party? I guess it's because of the comparisons to the 997 as if they were the same class of car. They're not. The 997 is no M5, just as the Cayenne Turbo is no Ford F350.

BUT, if I misunderstood you 1080iaddicts and you were just stating your love for the M5 and that you're going to miss it- then I'm sorry and hope you enjoy the absolute last ride when you go turn it in.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:26 PM
jlee
Instructor

As for the "997S is no M5" comment, I stand behind that. The 997S is the greatest sports car in the world. But the M5, for a family sedan, was the most understated stealth Beast on the road. The pickup was amazing, the handling was amazing, and the safety was amazing (that DSC saved me twice during the 3 year lease - the first was on an on-ramp at 45 mph). It pulled HARD from a stand still and stopped on a dime. Sure the 997S is the same way, but it is just different. For you M5 owners out there, you know what I mean.

As for driving the 997S hard, make no mistake about it - I will have my moments. I am still in break in, for starters. But I need more practice in the 997S to learn its limits - after all I had the M5 for 3 years. I am looking into the PDE courses now.

-adam[/QUOTE]

Adam,

As you become more comfortable with the 997S, you will be pleasantly surprised that the M5 is "no 997".
Old 10-28-2005, 04:17 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

All I meant was that the 2 cars are different in their own great way - - it was not a knock of the 997S (which I just purchased so of course I am not knocking it!!). It was merely for my love of the M5.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:51 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Screw it, Adam, you talked me into it. I'm trading my Carrera S for a new M5.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:05 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AeroSmith
Screw it, Adam, you talked me into it. I'm trading my Carrera S for a new M5.
LOL!! 500 BHP in the new Beast - watch it!!! But it doesn't come in your beautiful blue!
Old 10-28-2005, 08:28 PM
tarpon1
Instructor

but the new Z06 comes in blue...505hp and 0-60 in 3.7 secs...
Old 10-29-2005, 06:13 PM
dnp_now
Instructor

I don't understand the statement the 997S is "no M5". Even in straight acceleration the 997S is faster. On the twisties, the performance difference will be even greater.

If you are talking about comfort or roominess, the 997S is "no M5". Performance wise, no comparison in every aspect, IMO.
The new m5 will crush the 997s in a straight line acceleration. with a v10 and 500+ ponies, our 997s has a hard time keeping up with these excessive hp monsters, including the new corvette.

Handling and performance wise, nothing drives like a porsche 911, regardless of the year.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:50 AM
jlee
Instructor

Originally Posted by dnp_now
The new m5 will crush the 997s in a straight line acceleration. with a v10 and 500+ ponies, our 997s has a hard time keeping up with these excessive hp monsters, including the new corvette.

Handling and performance wise, nothing drives like a porsche 911, regardless of the year.
I was refering to Adam's M5, not the new M5. I know the new M5 is a monster.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:52 AM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

-adam
apples to oranges here...the m5, is not in same league performance wise, as a 997s,..........with that said, that m5 is a great stealth sports sedan that can get you from point a to b very quickly with comfort and safety....as much as i like the 997s, it is not the worlds greatest sports car...i would choose a ferrari 430 or even 360 for that title....rather, its the worlds greatest sports car that can be driven everyday and is not a toy...
Adam,

As you become more comfortable with the 997S, you will be pleasantly surprised that the M5 is "no 997". [/QUOTE]
Old 10-30-2005, 11:44 AM
timnitti
Intermediate

I'm just thrilled to hear that you were driving that way on a route my wife regularly drives with our two young daughters in the car.

It's great that you decided that the best place for a final, high speed jaunt in your beloved M5 was on public roads. I can see how your need to thrash your car one last time justifies placing everyone else who uses those same roads at risk. Good show. I say you're right, f*** everyone else out there and have your fun. Maybe next time you'll be really lucky and kill some people instead of just a deer.

Nicely done, I'm very impressed. Could you please let me know the next time your family will be driving that route so I can plan to take my car out for some fun too?
Old 10-30-2005, 11:59 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by timnitti
I'm just thrilled to hear that you were driving that way on a route my wife regularly drives with our two young daughters in the car.

It's great that you decided that the best place for a final, high speed jaunt in your beloved M5 was on public roads. I can see how your need to thrash your car one last time justifies placing everyone else who uses those same roads at risk. Good show. I say you're right, f*** everyone else out there and have your fun. Maybe next time you'll be really lucky and kill some people instead of just a deer.

Nicely done, I'm very impressed. Could you please let me know the next time your family will be driving that route so I can plan to take my car out for some fun too?
Although I am a young guy, I must be getting old and cranky on the inside, because you, timnitti, articulated the first thing that came to my mind when I read this thread. Maybe becoming a father did it to me.

Adam, I love Porsches and the M5s. Both are great cars. Please come and join me and my buddies on the local tracks. It would be a great way for you to really learn the limits of your P-Car without being a tool on the public roads. The roads around us suck and they are unpredictable. If you have guys driving the way you described along with all the hazards (e.g., deer) and clueless morons, you could end up in a pretty bad situation that could hurt my wife and three kids if they happen to be around you.

I think you would have a blast on the track. Come join us.

TD
Old 10-30-2005, 12:28 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

OK. I suppose I should post a response and be held accountable for my actions. I agree without reservation that my one night of perhaps 'exceedly spirited' driving was a lapse of judgment. I will also tell everyone that the next morning I looked back on it and it was indeed stupid. But it was a one time deal and I got caught in the moment. That was all.

Timnitti, I am the least of your worries with what I see on the roads every day, but you can rest assured that your wife and kids, as well as mine, will not in be in harms way from my standpoint. As I said, that was a singular lapse of judgment. Good luck if you buy the '87 Guards Red 911.

As for the track, TD in DC, I think you are correct. I just learned about some of these events and they sound exciting. I will investigate further over the winter.

Folks, I apologize - ok? You really don't have to worry about me out there....
Old 10-30-2005, 12:31 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Adam,

Feel free to PM me at any time if you are serious about joining me at the track. I am far too addicted for my own good. It is probably too late in the season for you to start now, but I can pass the "track pipe" to you next season so that you will not miss out. Warning, it is highly, highly addictive.

TD

Quick Reply: Do NOT get in the way of a man within 36 hours of an M5 lease termination