Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viper vs. Porsche at the track

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 09:43 PM
Brian E
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

At one time I had (10) Vipers so I believe I am somewhat qualified to comment on this thread.
You can NOT realistically compare the two cars. To put it simply, the Viper is an overweight bully that relys on 505 hp to get its way, while the Porsche is refined and gracefull in its effort to hit the apex.

PS The last Viper has been sold. I drive the 997S whenever I can while waiting to place my order for a 997 TT.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:20 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche is going to have to address the performance issue at some point hopefully sooner rather than later. Seems like every other auto maker is opening up a can of whup-***. When the Viper outperforms the p-car that's one thing. But when the Suburu STi does then there's something wrong here. You can only rest on your laurels for so long. The Carrera Panamerica races that Porsche won are in the distant past.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:43 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm convinced there's far less ration than emotion when you compare two of anything- especially cars. I've got 'Vette friends who take great delight comparing the new Z06 specs with Porsches. I'm also aware of this whole "2 Fast 2 Furious" crowd (no offense intended) who loves to mod the hell out of WRX Sti's, Civics, Evo's, etc. I guess I would say to all of them- it's your money, you pick. I can appreciate what each does but 911's seem to embody most of what I like most of the time. There are times I'd love to be in the desert of Arizona with a huge-engined Vette; I'd also love to do a rally in a WRX. However, I live in Southern Germany and the roads (mostly country 'Schnell-Strassen' not the Autobahn) just beg for the torque, refinement, road-feel and rush that a 911 delivers like no other. When I take the time to quit spec-bashing with them and explain this, they most often agree; albeit with usually 1 last parting shot: "Oh yeah...well, maybe you're right. But in a straight line with my Lingenfelter C5, I'd smoke that 911."
Old 10-25-2005, 11:12 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is not accurate to compare both cars based on local track events. the variation in driving skill is the main factor. i witnessed a boxter lap a ferrari 360CS in a 20 min track session on a 1.6mile course although the CS is definetly the faster car. even the 180hp or so difference between both cars did not make up for the apparently huge difference in driver skill. the ferrari drivier had several track days and was not a complete novice.

a nice site with a lot of interesting track data for many cars is
http://www.track-challenge.com
they record track times on two tracks Nuerburgring and Hockenheim in addition to braking, slalom and acceleration times. if you do a comparison between both cars based on their data the S is faster on BOTH tracks, have better braking, slalom and lateral accelration numbers. the viper is only faster in straight line accelration. this is what they have for the 997S and the viper

997S Viper
stopping distance 100 - 0 Km/h hot 32,3 m , 12 m/s 34,3 m , 11,3 m/s

Transverse Acceleration 1,35 g 1,25 g

Slalom Course 36 / 110m 136 / 153 Km/h 127 / 146 Km/h

Round Time Nuerburgring 8.05 min 8.13 min

Round Time Hockenheim 1.14,3 min 1.14,9 min
Old 10-26-2005, 10:32 AM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomias33
When I take the time to quit spec-bashing with them and explain this, they most often agree; albeit with usually 1 last parting shot: "Oh yeah...well, maybe you're right. But in a straight line with my Lingenfelter C5, I'd smoke that 911."
LOL, so true.

I'd have to say that they are different machines, but their purpose is one and the same: create driving excitement. Driving a 500HP front-engine honker is one way of getting around the course, and driving a 355HP rear-engine slotcar is another way. They are different, and they require different inputs and have different handling characteristics. However, they are both fast around the track, but for different reasons mostly.

I've been on a track with anything from a Z06, Viper, to GT3 Cup cars and even Audi station wagons...anything can be driven fast if the driver has the skill. I was able to pull a 2:18 at VIR (full course) in my 4200 pound Audi station wagon. At the same time, my first event in the 911 I was able to match the best time I ever got in the S4. It's an easier car to get around the track, but by no means is it easier to drive. I actually found the 911 to be pretty much effortless getting around the track, there were just totally different factors that came into play regarding tire traction, adhesion, braking limits, etc.

To put it simply: I've been able to get around quicker than ITS Vipers in my wagon, but at the same time can get schooled by a Neon in my 911. It's just a matter of driver skill, and how well they know the car....AND, how big a set they have.

Regardless, everybody is in the paddock for the same reason: to get back out there and have a blast.

Quick Reply: Viper vs. Porsche at the track