Sponsored by:

Front radiator damage

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 05:07 PM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 120 Posts

As for taking in a bird on a fast mover check out this link: http://www.fazed.org/video/view/?id=47#boidie
As for the bigger aircraft, birdstrikes are very well contained these days. (been trying to find some footage of RR engine testing for the A380. Ingesting bird shows small blip on engine parameters and is well contained. Ingesting big frozen turkey probably different story all together).
On the road I would definately try to avoid any frozen birds shot at high speed at my car.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:12 PM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 120 Posts

off topic, but here is another"bird strike"
http://espn.go.com/media/2001/q1/mlb_010326unit1v.avi
Old 10-23-2005, 11:52 PM
merc5326
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, performanceproducts.com or automotion.com same thing. They came out with these last year and they are called front grille inserts avail in silver or black. part numbers are 915119 & 915118. $300 a set. good luck!
Old 11-16-2005, 02:30 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone actually purchased and installed the grille inserts available from cargraphics and automotion.com (performanceproducts.com)? If so, are they 1) easy to install, and 2) are they secure once installed?
Old 01-17-2006, 10:46 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hoover Sucks Another One

You guys may have heard of this terrible accident that happened yesterday in El Paso. When I heard about it I recalled this thread from a couple months ago where we had gone off on a tangent discussing the suction power of jet engines, especially of those that hang low to the ground as on the Boeing 737 (aka The Hoover).

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/US/01/16/airplane.fatality/
Old 01-17-2006, 11:31 AM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blow the "bug jerky"out with compressed air. Loosen what remains with a 1 inch wide paintbrush then blow again with compressed air. The aluminum fins are very delicate and the bug remains are very delicate so your cleanup has to be delicate too. I remember once bending the alumimum fins on an airconditioner radiator with too much compressed air pressure.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

The only way to reduce the debris accumulation and fin damage is with some sort of grill or rerouting of the air ducts to that condensor. If you take a circuitous route to the condensor you are going to (1) reduce the direct air intake and (2) filter out some of the heavier debris that ordinarily would impact the front of the condensor fins. Why Porsches have this problem is obvious,--the low position of these intakes is a design issue that I'm sure Porsche wrestled with over and over again between engineering and the stylists. (You may recall the original Boxster showcar in Detroit 1993 had side body ducts very close to the ground,--and the engineering staff won that argument). While I would personally like to see a reduction in impact damage to such components I think the cooling potential of that area at lower speeds may be negatively affected. Perhaps some flowbench testing would be in order.

Speaking of jet engines, etc., I used to fly 'heavies' many years ago in another life and we suffered from bird strikes all the time. Generally they are ingested by the engines and spit out the back and you press on. Unfortunately, one morning in Alaska many friends of mine didn't fair so well when their E-3 AWACS ingested nearly 20 Canadian Snow Geese into their Pratt and Witney TF33-P100 engines. That strike immediately took out the number 1 engine and within 15-20 seconds, took out number 2 as well. They wound up crashing with all 23 aboard killed. What's the lesson from this? The bigger stuff is harder to deal with from a blockage perspective as well as a resultant reduction in cooling air. I'll be looking into a design that can at least keep the damage inflicting chunks from contacting the a/c condensor. There will be one important side affect,--you will have to physically clear the intakes more often.

Dan

Quick Reply: Front radiator damage