Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I dare take the Blue Zoomer to the Stones concert?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005 | 08:45 AM
AeroSmith
Pro

Talking

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
I'd skip the concert, buy the live concert CD, and sit in your garage in the Blue Zoomer reading the owner's manual again listening to the tunes.
Now that's the best idea yet!

Guys, I took the Audi allroad.

Turns out we had to give a friend a ride anyway. And boy was I glad I had the beat up Audi tiptronic when I got to Tampa. Trafic was thick and slow and there was construction everywhere. The drive wouldn't have been any fun in the Zoomer anyway.

The Stones rocked, btw. It was a really great show and more importantly, my wife had a fantastic time. I don't know who opened as we had dinner with friends at Channelside (Aquarium and shops and restaurants near concert venue). Anyway it was a fun worry free time. And now, my ears still ringing, I get to drive my daughter to school in my beloved Blue Zoomer.
Old 10-20-2005 | 09:02 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Beck opened up for the Stones in Toronto..

Glad you guys had a great time! Those old dudes can still rock!
Old 10-20-2005 | 11:03 AM
OCBen
Banned

Glad you had a worry free fun time with the wife enjoying a night out for dinner and a show - and what a show it must have been.

It's never a good idea, in my opinion, to take your finest ride to a mass gathering where throngs of cars converge in one location, if you care at all about preserving its show car beauty, especially if you have to park it in a large lot where a number of people will be passing by it as they cut across on their way out in a hurry to beat the traffic, some of them stumbling as they do, being too inebriated to walk straight. I'm not even going to mention the drunks with keys in hand and malice on their minds.

Anyway, glad your Blue Zoomer is safe and sound. But as I mentioned, you've got bigger problems on the horizon. What are you going to do if you're in the path of Wilma?
Old 10-20-2005 | 12:28 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by OCBen
Anyway, glad your Blue Zoomer is safe and sound. But as I mentioned, you've got bigger problems on the horizon. What are you going to do if you're in the path of Wilma?
Wilma is looking like she'll be a cat 3 when she hits Florida and she's supposed to hit well south of us. Of course we need to be prepared should she hit us directly. Fortunately our house is in the Old Northeast section of Saint Petersburg and we're about 20 feet above sea level. A cat 5 hitting north of us, perfectly flooding the Tampa Bay, would put the water at our doorstep. Wilma won't do that. And I don't anticipate cat 3 winds will do much damage to our 90 year old house.

Anyway, we have about 20 gallons of bottled water, enough to last us a week, ample supplies of canned goods (fruit, beans, etc.), a tanked up Honda 2,000 watt generator and extra gas to keep the fridge running, and my somewhat large gun collection with plenty of spare ammo to keep the less savory elements of society at bay.

My big worry is for the Zoomer. The alley behind our house has been closed for the last month while the city replaced the 90 year old sewer. And we're still waiting for the alley to be resurfaced. I can't get the Porsche to our garage, which is on the alley. I've been renting a car port from an older neighbor across the street so the car has been under cover. But the car port will give only moderate protection against flying debris. I may have to find a parking garage downtown in which to park her if the storm looks like it's coming close. I'm pretty pissed about how long our alley has been closed. I wrote the mayor and have been assured it's going to be resurfaced next week. Of course that will be post-Wilma.
Old 10-20-2005 | 02:48 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

My Porsche garage is sitting empty at the moment and you are welcome to it. It is a separate one car away from the other 3 car section. I am the only one who goes in there and my 2 y.o. and wife are not allowed. Better leave me the key just in case a fire or something is coming through the area and I have to move it for the Zoomer's safety.
Old 10-20-2005 | 03:09 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by 996toomey
My Porsche garage is sitting empty at the moment and you are welcome to it. It is a separate one car away from the other 3 car section. I am the only one who goes in there and my 2 y.o. and wife are not allowed. Better leave me the key just in case a fire or something is coming through the area and I have to move it for the Zoomer's safety.
Man, I sure could use a roadtrip. This bloody stock market is wearing me out. Think the wife would be mad if I just threw a rucksack in the car and took off for CA?
Old 10-20-2005 | 04:51 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

If I can take it to Richmond for one of the chase races, you can do anything.... ;-)
Old 10-20-2005 | 05:12 PM
Cogito
Racer

Aerosmith, The Blue Zoomer is welcome in my high and dry 2.5 car garage here in western NC and it's a shorter drive than CA.

I'm complaining about the market too; I need to sell like $95,000 worth of securities to pay for my P-car when it arrives. I've been waiting for an UP day but was helping a neighbor pick up her Honda yesterday and didn't get home until 4:02! I missed the 129 and 35 point up-day.
Old 10-20-2005 | 10:32 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

are we being serious???? this wasnt supose to be a serious question was it???
Old 10-20-2005 | 10:44 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm heading to the Stones in Charlotte tomorrow night. Agreed to take my teenage daughter and her two friends. Can't wait.

Got really lucky on opening day for tix, bought 10, sold 6. Using four, and taking the Escape BumperPlugs.com parts hauler! Plus, I know one of the parking lot owners near our brand new arena.

Stones open the arena, first event ever, in Charlotte, just before the Bobcats begin play. Lookin' forward to the show(s).

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 10-21-2005 | 12:31 AM
tarpon1
Instructor

saw the stones in d.c. a couple of weeks ago...last time i saw them was at madison square garden in '76. was thinking this was going to be a joke, i mean 62 years old??? mick came out and i immediately caught the nostalgia wave..wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else that night...and for what it's worth, they rocked! awesome concert. with respect to the car thing, take a limo.
Old 10-21-2005 | 12:35 AM
tarpon1
Instructor

guess if i had read the first sentence of your message i would have realized the concert is already over given it's 11:30 now. just pull out the rubber stamp marked "donkey" and put it on my forehead.
Old 10-21-2005 | 08:39 AM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by tarpon1
saw the stones in d.c. a couple of weeks ago...last time i saw them was at madison square garden in '76. was thinking this was going to be a joke, i mean 62 years old??? mick came out and i immediately caught the nostalgia wave..wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else that night...and for what it's worth, they rocked! awesome concert. with respect to the car thing, take a limo.
I was amazed at what a good show they put on. How do they do it? Keith looks like he has one foot in the grave and he still rocks. Now I've got to get myself to a good Jethro Tull show!

Oh yeah, just BSing with my buddies, 930Man.

Quick Reply: Do I dare take the Blue Zoomer to the Stones concert?