Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling my '06 997S to get C4

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005 | 11:58 PM
Paul523
Pro

Arrow Selling my '06 997S to get C4

This 997 disease is really taking hold. Ohio winters here being what they are, I cringe at the idea of mothballing my C2S for 4-5 months each year.

I'm going to move into a C4 from my C2S. I am PCNA's dream, flipping one model for the next. Yeah, I know I will sacrifice a bit of power-to-weight for the AWD. I will pick up an extra set of 18's with snows for the C4.

Only 3800 miles / 2.5 months on my '06 Slate grey metallic/black full leather baby. Problem-free, awesome, flawless. Ad is in Rennlist Classifieds (ad model year "2005" in listings--field wouldn't accept "2006") in hopes of improving on straight dealer trade-in figures. MSRP was $94.7K, I have advertised at $85K obo if anyone's interested. PM me with your email for high-res pics.

Sale of the 997S can easily be worked through my dealer to gain benefits as 'trade-in'..also CPO would be option for a prospective buyer. Continued thanks to this board--truly the best.

Last edited by stan523; 10-16-2005 at 12:28 AM. Reason: + photo
Old 10-16-2005 | 02:58 AM
djantlive
Drifting

I have heard that 997 w snow tires drive very well. Of course, 4wd can only be better. You may consider keeping the car if you like it so much and see if snow tires are sufficient.
Old 10-16-2005 | 04:19 AM
boolala
Race Car

Why take the financial hit on selling a new C2S optioned just the way you want it for a heavier, slower car? How about getting a used (but still wanranteed) Audi A4 or Subi for winter instead?
Old 10-16-2005 | 09:08 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Not to mention all the salt I seem to remember from my days in Y-Town.
Jack
Old 10-16-2005 | 11:27 AM
fast1
Race Car

Unless you get lucky, you'll take a big depreciation hit on your 997. Why not buy a new Hyundai Elantra for about $11K and drive that when the weather is bad or when there's lots of salt on the roads. I bought one for my son two years ago and it handled very well in the snow. Moreover, the second car will help to keep your mileage down on your 997 and thereby lessen its depreciation.
Old 10-16-2005 | 12:42 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

I just finished reading the owner's manual and was amazed to see that the 0-60 times for the C2S and the C4S are the same. The C2 and the C4 times are not the same. Odd.
Old 10-16-2005 | 12:47 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

The awd system with snow tires is awsome. Your car is made to be driven year round.
Old 10-16-2005 | 03:28 PM
Paul523
Pro

Originally Posted by fast1
Unless you get lucky, you'll take a big depreciation hit on your 997. Why not buy a new Hyundai Elantra for about $11K and drive that when the weather is bad or when there's lots of salt on the roads. I bought one for my son two years ago and it handled very well in the snow. Moreover, the second car will help to keep your mileage down on your 997 and thereby lessen its depreciation.
I know, I know. I've got a nice old GMC suv for those days with icebergs on sidestreets, but the 997 has spoiled me terribly.

My wife uses the 997 a bit also-- she no slouch on driving skills but I would feel safer in colder months with her in a C4 w/snows.
I drove a C2 non-S without PASM and it was almost equal fun to the C2S, admit I am a statistical outlier there. Unfortunately I live nowhere near Monaco or Highway 1/Big Sur driver's roads in this area...able to tap only 8/10ths of the C2S abilities 95% of the time anyway, so widebody + 120 pounds for awd we'll still have a blast.

Originally Posted by AeroSmith
I just finished reading the owner's manual and was amazed to see that the 0-60 times for the C2S and the C4S are the same. The C2 and the C4 times are not the same. Odd.
Yeah, I think it's odd...It has to be decimal rounding on the 0-60 time, since C4 versions weigh more.
PAG probably tests C2S at 4.55 seconds and C4S 4.61 seconds or similar gap.
Old 10-16-2005 | 03:37 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

The C4 won't brake any better, handling, well are you going to really be driving that hard when the snow is on the ground or it's wet?

Yea, if you are in a race and it's slick out the C4 will help but the C2 has more than enough traction in the white stuff for "normal" driving that buying the C4 makes no sense, again unless you will be driving hard in the wet or snow!

So, where is the advantage of the C4 over the C2, again unless you are racing hard in the slick stuff?

If you are that worried and will be driving in that bad of weather, buy a Cayenne S!

No, really - you already have a great 997 configured the why you like it, keep it and just put good winter tires on it for the winter!
Old 10-16-2005 | 04:10 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Frankly I think you're NUTS! The C2S handles just fine with winter tires on it. You REALLY don't need awd! The amount you lose on depreciation you would buy you a decent beater for the winter months.

I traded a 996 C4S for a 997S because here in Chicago, of all places, the awd was redundant. On top of which the 996 C4S U N D E R S T E E R E D. It was horrible! Alignment checked out fine, so I can only assume it was the additional weight over the nose that killed it.

I wouldn't trade my C2S for a C4 even if you paid the depreciation for me. Just stick snows on it and learn how to have fun in the snow with it!
Old 10-16-2005 | 05:26 PM
Cogito
Racer

I got it.
Stan doesn't like the color!
Old 10-16-2005 | 05:50 PM
boolala
Race Car

It occured to me that with the rear weight bias of the C2(S) that it would be equivalent, from the standpoint of traction, to a front engined car with front wheel drive. A combination known to have advantages in snow. Still with the low ground clearance I think it would be wise to have something else for winter. I never mothballed my SL (or now my C2) in winter. I just drove it when the snow had cleared. I have an AWD benz for winter and, although, it's rare when I need the traction when I do need it...I find that I really, really need it.
Old 10-16-2005 | 09:00 PM
P-Nuts
Racer

Keep an eye on the Poll I just posted. I have the same dilemma....except I have not ordered yet, so can make the choice without the depreciation factor.
Old 10-20-2005 | 05:39 PM
Paul523
Pro

Originally Posted by dweiser
I got it.
Stan doesn't like the color!
Nah, the color is brilliant. I'll be getting the same combo for the C4.

Seeing that grey is all the rage on the board this week;
here is some interesting stuff our resident chemistry genius
Eric the Plug Guy was nice enough to dig up a while back:

Atlas has at least three blues in it. I'm sure someone here can translate.

Here is the mix:
SCHWARZ (black)
LASURTIEFBLAU (blue)
BRILLANTSILBER FEIN (silver)
LASURBRILLANTROT (red)
PERLFEINBLAU (blue)
BLAULASUR
LASURDUNKELBLAU (blue)
PERLFEINWEISS (white)

Seal Grey Metallic

SCHWARZ (Black)
BRILLANTSILBER (Silver)
FEIN PERLLILA (Purple)
FEINSILBER (Silver)
PERLFEINBLAU (Blue)
WEISS (White)
LASURTIEFBLAU (Blue)
TIEFBLAU (Blue)

This is why Seal will work with Blue interior sometimes, though best in Black.

Slate Grey Metallic

SPEZIALSCHWARZ (Black)
MICROSILBER EXTRA (Silver)
BRILLANTSILBER EXTRA (Silver)
PERLROT (Metallic Red)
LASURAZURBLAU (Blue)
PERLROSA (Metallic Pink)
DUNKELROT (Dark Red)
LASURGRUEN (Green)

Ever seen Slate with Nephrite Green? It works, and this is why. Notice the reds? That's why Terracota works well with Slate too.
Old 10-20-2005 | 06:59 PM
Sobe
Pro

sell it for the 997TT

Quick Reply: Selling my '06 997S to get C4