Driver's Education

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Driver's Education

Is anyone here using or planning on using their 997 for DE?
Old 10-12-2005, 10:10 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Absolutely. That's the primary reason I ordered the car. Why do you ask?
Old 10-12-2005, 10:16 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm doing my first DE on November 13th at Summit Point with the Chesapeake PCA. I'm immensely excited.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

nkhalidi

I'm new to this...just curious about things like insurance coverage and if it voids the factory warranty. Also curious about how much wear and tear there is on the car. I've seen that a lot of guys keep the new car as a daily driver and buy a track car.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:43 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Insurance coverage is a massive gray area. Some cover, some don't, it really depends on your policy and your agent's interpretation of it. Strictly speaking, PCA DE's are untimed, uncompetitive events which take place on private property. They are not races, nobody is racing, nobody is a racer. The key word here, of course, is racing. At a PCA DE, everyone is learning, not unlike going to an empty parking lot and driving around cones, but that's called autocross.

Wear and tear is at your discretion. You can drive very gingerly around the track, going slow around turns, not reaching massive speeds on straights and therefore not braking very hard for turns, and the car will think you're commuting to the office. Or, you can 'drive it like you stole it', slide around turns at lurid angles, boast to your friends that you hit a buck forty on the back straight, and roast your brakes. Whatever floats your boat. The beauty of PCA DEs is that you get all sorts of people: both the hardcore and the weekend cruisers.

The ones who have dedicated track cars usually also race those cars in PCA Club Racing or other venues. They're the harder-core, but most everyone has a different reason for having a track car versus a daily driver. The M3 you see in my signature is extremely competent on the track - it has a great suspension and enormous brakes - but is also comfortable on the street. It's a compromise. The 997 is also a great compromise car. Depends on what you're comfortable doing.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All good questions that have been addressed before. My understanding from years of reading posts on these questions is that most insurance companies will probably pay for one DE damage claim and then want to drop you. If the event is a race, or even a timed event, they won't pay even one time. Some DE regulars have seperate DE insurance policies. The way the Porsche warranty reads they could void the warranty if you even take the car over the speed limit, but apparently relatively few people have had problems with that for just doing DEs. Apparently many dealers will submit a warranty claim, but it's Porsche that may question whether to cover it under warranty if they suspect "abuse." Yes, at least some owners have lost at least part of their warranty coverage, but that doesn't seem to be the norm. How your dealer feels about it seems to make a difference. Thus, some openly discuss this with their dealer before hand, while others are secretive. There will be more wear and tear on the car; how much depends on how hard you drive. You will go through brake pads and rotors, tires, etc. quicker. You might decide how to protect the nose of your car, as it will collect chips in the paint, unless you are never behind a car. Yes, many decide to buy a track car, trailer, hauler, etc. It's called the slippery slope. I'd have to take my new car on track at least once though.

Last edited by Jim Michaels; 10-12-2005 at 10:54 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-13-2005, 12:18 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 220 Likes on 109 Posts

The car is immensely more capable on the track than I am. Definitely take it to the track at least once. The stupid grin on your face will take days to wear off.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:38 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have written an article on the track insurance subject but it is not available yet. After looking at many companies who sell insurance in Florida, I choose Chubb to insure with. The policy wording can vary from state to state. Read your policy to see what is excluded. I read one who has no exclusions for any type of competition and one which says when you enter the gates of a race track you are uninsured which means to me if you go to the 24 hours of Daytona and go to the infield to view the race you have no insurance. I will post the article in the near future.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:56 PM
gerry100
Pro

Spoke to a guy at a recent DE at WGI who had collected over $25K for two separate DE incidents on his 993.

First company paid and then dropped him, still with the second one. I think he was form Vermont.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:01 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm suspect of DE insurance, as all ins co. share data and you could be dropped or have your other coverages placed in jeopardy. I wing it, if anything happens I'll fix it out of pocket. What complicates things is when another car is involved, not sure of the best move there.
As far as DE's ruining your car, they won't, the car is made for it and won't break. You will start going through pads and rubber though.
Would highly recommend doing the PDE first, see if you like it or not.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:47 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Just crashed my GT3 at WGI during a DE. USAA is going to cover, but it is still too early to see if they drop me. I never did any timed events, especially autocross. (Results published in descending order of finish-------sound like a race???) Plus I never ever raced, practiced for, nor ever intended to. I only did Driver Education events. You can go plenty fast at those and still be safe!!

I sent a copy of the track schedule, including the classroom part (really important) to the insurance company. The president of the organzation is able to state that it was not a racing school plus there is no passing unless point by. It is a "DE" event.

All that being said, it will still cost me a bundle, not withstanding I still have the car.

Remember... there are those that HAVE crashed and those that WILL crash. Your object is to get the WILL part to happen after you quit driving due to old age!!! But be prepared for the HAVE before that!!
Old 10-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Would highly recommend doing the PDE first, see if you like it or not.
I am not even sure if it is possible to dislike track events.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

rdstemler

I have USAA insurance as well. Glad to hear they're covering you. Were you involved with another car or did you crash solo?

Quick Reply: Driver's Education