Sponsored by:

HARD water spots SUCK

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 05:19 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by synergy
I don't know when or how but have horrible water spots on my glass. The paint seems fine (good amount of wax probably saved me) but the side mirrors and windows look horrible. I have tried all sorts of glass cleaners and nothing works. I heard something about vinegar....any ideas?
I use very fine clear coat polish with a new foam applicator and a micro fibre cloth to remove... water spots on glass melt like butter.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:24 PM
sirees01
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered 2 of these for my CT & 996 Turbo.AquaGleam

They work a treat, no water spots/no chamoising perfect finish I can highly recommend from personal use.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know whether they have an U.S. dealer???
Old 10-06-2005, 03:35 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

AquaGlean, the same basic ideal behind the "Mr Clean Auto Dry" system...
Old 10-06-2005, 04:41 PM
sirees01
Track Day

drop them an e-mail i'm sure they would be more than glad to tap into the US market

btw; it's the 0ppm that I have used with astonishing results
Old 10-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks
Old 10-10-2005, 02:52 AM
synergy
Rennlist Member

Okay - I still have the water spots on the glass...I am soooo PISSED off! Here is what I tried with newspaper, micro fiber, t-shirts, you name it:

1) X71 shower cleaner
2) Mothers polish
3) Klause all-in one
4) Vinegar
5) CLR
6) Tons of window cleaners

I am getting nervous - there has to be a magic remedy. What about the Zaino Glass Wax?
Old 10-10-2005, 11:37 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Forget the waxes, including the Klasse AIO. By waxing all you're really doing is sealing and protecting the water spots! You need to get rid of them first before even thinking about any glass wax.

Sounds like you'll need to polish them off with a more aggressive polish. Don't worry, glass is really tough and can take it. Number 2 on your list there sounds like the right product, depending on how aggressive the polish is. Isolate one of the water spots and use that polish just on that one water spot and see if that does the trick. You may need to tackle the job one spot at a time if you're doing it by hand. So just be patient, they will come off. If it were me, I would use a rotary polisher to do the job, but you need to be skilled in using that particular machine or you might do some damage if it gets away from you.

I've had similar stubborn water spot damage on glass before that I was able to remove using a polishing compound that is slightly more aggressive than a regular polish but not as harsh as rubbing compound, though I don't think the latter will harm the glass if you want to try it.

Good luck!
Old 10-10-2005, 12:02 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you wet a paper towel rubbing alcohol?
Old 10-10-2005, 01:29 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by synergy
Okay - I still have the water spots on the glass...I am soooo PISSED off! Here is what I tried with newspaper, micro fiber, t-shirts, you name it:

1) X71 shower cleaner
2) Mothers polish
3) Klause all-in one
4) Vinegar
5) CLR
6) Tons of window cleaners

I am getting nervous - there has to be a magic remedy. What about the Zaino Glass Wax?
Glass wax might help to keep it from happening again after you get it clean but seriously, did you try a fine grit clear coat polish? I use Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 on water spotted glass and it is very quick, very effective.

You'll be amazed at how well it works.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:45 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you used CLR and Limeaway and it didn't touch the spots, are you sure they are water spots? Water spots are lime deposits and they should be removed easily with those products. Try muriatic acid. Do not get either product on darlk plastic or rubber.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:12 AM
synergy
Rennlist Member

Yeah I am puzzled as well. They are definatley water spots. I will try polish and see what happens. I am pretty much at ropes end! I will try alcohol as well but if everything else hasnt worked then I don't know what else to do. Maybe after a few more washes and polishes they will begin to disipate? I can only hope...
Old 10-12-2005, 03:09 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The water spots you see are actually etchings on your glass, and no amount of CLR or LimeAway will remove them. If you were to examine them under a microscope you would see what appear to be crater rings etched into the glass by the calcium oxide and magnesium oxide (called lime generally) that gets left behind when hard water is allowed to evaporate.

It could also be caused by an entirely different agent, "acid rain", which is caused by pollutants in the air and takes the form of condensation that collects on your car when you leave it out overnight.

In either case, the corrosive agents more than likely have been spent in doing their damage, but a good washing will ensure the removal of any residuals, followed by a quick towel drying. What is left is to repair the damage by polishing (read abrasive removal) the surrounding area until you level away the "craters".

Quick Reply: HARD water spots SUCK