Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I get for a daily driver on non-997S days?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005 | 11:41 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sobe
Jeep Wrangler the Rubicon and trick it out with all kinds of great options ... this has been the perfect 2nd car for me and is just about as fun as the 911 in its own way .
I mean this in the nicest way possible: What about the Jeep do you like so much? I was looking for a daily a few months ago and went to look at a Wrangler with a friend. I drove one (4.0l 6cyl, manual trans) and was really, really disappointed. The interior is awful, fit-and-finish is a joke, it's NOT fun to drive (unless your idea of fun to drive is inadequate power, huge body roll, and a tiller for a steering wheel), doesn't have much space, is offensively expensive for what you get, poor a/c system, I can go on and on. I can't see how anyone would justify $26k for a Rubicon which is essentially a Wrangler with aftermarket bolt-ons that many Jeep owners buy anyway. I mean, I'm sure the Wrangler's fun on trails and things, but on the road, in traffic, commuting every day?

I bought an '05 F-150 crewcab as a daily driver and I love it. Perfect for what I do. My advice for 1080 is A6, and if that's too much dough maybe a Mazda 6. I don't think it's prudent to limit car choices by lease payments, as those can vary wildly from contract to contract and car to car, but hey, it's your choice.
Old 09-28-2005 | 01:25 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

1080iAddict, yes S4 is kind of tiny. the back seat is for my 11 months old. but the hatch area is great. if you don't have rear passenger, you have plenty of room in front.
Old 09-28-2005 | 01:39 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Well, the A6 will definitely get a look. I may take a look tomorrow and see what kind of deals they have. That lease deal posted above sure looks like a great starting point.

My wife does have the 'family truckster' - an MDX, which rides great and is a great vehicle. That is hers and she aint giving it up (that was an option - believe you me - that she gives me the MDX and gets a sedan).
Old 09-28-2005 | 07:38 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Have you thought about the Acura TL? 18 months ago we were looking for a car for my wife. We went up and down local "dealer row" like you were talking about doing. My wife REALLY liked the TL and said that was the one she wanted. But no... I insisted we go to the MB dealership to seethe SLK Roadster. She didn't like that but the CLK cab caught her eye. We ended up getting the CLK 320. Acura TL was $35 k, CLK was $55 k

Moral of the story: Start off looking at the low end of the cars you are interested in purchasing. When you find the one you like... STOP LOOKING!

Also, never, I mean NEVER, lease through the dealer. MB lease was going to be $120 more per month than the lease I got through Leasecompare. Porsche lease was going to be $80 more per month than Leasecompare. I am not affiliated with Leasecompare in any way, merely a satisfied customer. Shop for your lease just as you would for the car. You'll end up with more money in your pocket to spend on mods for the P-car. Just my 2¢. Good luck!
Old 09-28-2005 | 12:21 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by riad
I went through the same dilemma when I bought my 2004 C4S. I came very close to leasing a Mini Cooper S (fully loaded the car was $26,000), at the end of the day I decided to use my Porsche - in all weather conditions barring really terrible snow/hail, etc.

Any repairs or depreciation is certainly going to cost less than a $26,000 car + insurance. So at the end of the day I just drive it and get the most out of it.

ymmv,
Rob
Robb, you sound just like me, my C4S is the best commuting car I've ever had(for me). Very reliable, drives through anything, then turn around and run it at the track. To put it in perspective, another doc also bought a C4S at the sme time I did, he parked his in the garage and drove a POS subaru as a DD, pure torture. Now, he wants to sell the C4S, only 9k baby miles, suffered a huge depreciation hit anyway, and never got to enjoy the car. Sh#t you paid for it, might as well use the damn car.
Old 09-28-2005 | 12:54 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

I do not disagree with any of you that say drive the car - you paid for it and its depreciating. I fully intend to drive her as often as I can. But the fact remains that at least 2-3 days a week that will likely not be possible with kids, clients, cargo, etc. I have been monitoring for a month now when I actually need to drive a second car and it is quite often for the reasons above.
Old 09-28-2005 | 01:34 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Definitely consider the Acura TL. I almost bought one but pulled the plug in favour of an S4, mainly due to FWD and torque steer. However, it has lots of room is a LOT of car for the money. Overall very nice car.
Old 09-28-2005 | 01:50 PM
Sobe
Pro

The Chrysler 300C SRT8 425 HP for the money nothing comes close . you could get this car for 500 a month ....

http://www.dubpublishing.com/_desktops/DUB_03_1600.jpg

Last edited by Sobe; 09-28-2005 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-28-2005 | 02:05 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

I 3rd the TL, and the TSX is also worth checking out. The TSX has great seats. The TL is fun to drive (thrash). They are on my affordable sedan short list.

For our SUV, we wound up getting a safe and cushy RX330 for my wife which is a wonderful car/SUV to fall asleep in. In it's defense, it was the best handling (at the limit) of all the moderately priced SUVs we drove. The air suspension is a hair better.
Old 09-28-2005 | 02:24 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Just so you now how difficult this process is...almost every car you guys are recommending exceeds $600 a month, let alone $500 a month. That Chrysler at the power posted below is a $45,000 car at around $800+ a month. The Acura TL is at a minimum $635 a month lease per the website.

All I am saying is $600 - $700 certainly gets a nice ride as a secondary vehicle, but not much excitement out there at $500. I have not, however, looked at last years models or dealer inventories yet which is where the magic may be.
Old 09-28-2005 | 02:43 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sobe
The Chrysler 300C SRT8 425 HP for the money nothing comes close . you could get this car for 500 a month ....

http://www.dubpublishing.com/_desktops/DUB_03_1600.jpg
or the Magnum SRT. I went to check one out the other day after my family minivan's transmission died on me at 40K miles. It listed at $42 but the way Dodge/Chrysler works, $5K off MSRP is almost like a starting point.
Old 09-28-2005 | 02:45 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

OK, then how about the TSX? That's a car in the mid/high 20s. Honda/Acuras come well-equipped unlike most manufs that nickle-and-dime you on options. I think you may be right that there's not much excitement out there for $500 unless you go used. I would check out the TSX, though.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...ticleId=100428
Old 09-28-2005 | 03:32 PM
rotthaus
Instructor

+1 on the TSX. Best Honda we can get IMHO. Excellent balance and feel for a front-drive car. Good driving position. Well done interior. And most importantly, it still has the WISHBONES up front. At the top of my sedan list when I go looking for the next one. (Especially now that we have the “Bangled” threes. Yuck!)

I also am fond of the A4. Sister and brother-in-law have A4 and S4. S4 (‘05) is wicked fast for something of its heft, both are very well built, and AWD is nice in the snowbelt.

For what its worth, I ended up driving a crewcab like nkhalidi.

Greg
2005 Carrera S Coupe, Lapis Blue Metallic, Carrera Classic Wheels, PCCB, Bose, Sport Shifter, Sport Seats
Rennlist #050419-5832
Old 09-28-2005 | 06:14 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

i have been looking also at mid size everyday cars and have test driven a lot of cars....the s4 was disappointing to me....i would take a 325 or 330 i any day of the week...much better built, ride , and handling feel....thenew 3 series is a great car with a great chassis...very fun to drive, esp with 6speed manual...the jeep is junky to me...crappy handling, steering etc...but the only suv i like to drive at all is a cayenne, and thats out ofyour lease rate.....how about a used m3, 01 or 02????
Old 09-28-2005 | 06:34 PM
mikey175
Racer

OK, you have decided that i) you are keeping your C4S (wise move) and ii) you need a normal (hehe) car to accommodate family/clients and still be fun to drive.

Having grown used to your P-car and M5, buying something new in the $30-40K range will only disappoint you. My advice: buy or finance your M5, with an extended warranty...even with your mileage, it is heads and shoulders above an A6, Allroad, Jeep, G35 or a TL. The SRT8 is a great idea, but I've heard stories about low availability and high dealer mark-ups. These are all fine vehicles for their purposes but, cmon, compared to an M5?

I say...keep your M5, maybe do a few mods to keep it fresh, and be happy.

- M

Quick Reply: What should I get for a daily driver on non-997S days?