Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: V1 Switched Power Hardwire Installation for the 997

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 01:09 AM
sdorn
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, well I finally got my V1 wired up. First I pulled down the light fixture like the instructions in this thread said. I quickly figured out that you couldn't fit the power block for the V1 into the space available there. I really didn't want to go cutting up the wiring kit that Valentine sent me at a cost of $30 so I found other instructions on running the wire through the dash and up the A pillar in a thread on here.

The switched lead I used was in the center console on a wiring harness not in use. It was extremely easy to clamp onto a switched power wire and connected the ground wire to a screw in the console. The instructions then said to pull out the corner of the dash where the headlight switch is located in order to run the power cable up to the V1. I followed all the instructions, but it just wouldn't come off.

Finally, after about 3 hours of messing around in the 85 degree heat (in the middle of the night, it's been damn hot here in Atlanta lately) I finally gave up and just ran the power wire under the dash. Then I used a screwdriver wrapped in a cloth to carefully push the telephone cord (power cord) between the weather stripping and the dash, then up the A pillar between the glass, and then along the roof liner. It was just long enough to reach the spot I wanted the V1 (the same place it is located in this thread).

Anyway, I got it all installed and it works perfectly. You can't see any of the wiring anywhere except for where it comes out from under the headliner right at the V1. In the end it didn't really require any removal of anything on the car except for the little piece of carpet that covers up the center console on each side, and that just pops on and off with a little pulling.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:33 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been away and playing in other forums the past year. I came back for a visit to find this thread still alive! Wow!! What a great feeling that others are still following this thread for the install!

My install has been working for 2 years with no side effects. I have been saved from about 10 radar traps and 5 laser hits so far. Amazingly, of those hits, 4 radar traps and 2 laser hits all happened on a single night last year on a 2.5 hour ride from the Jersey shore to Baltimore between 11 pm until 1:30 am on a summer friday night. I would have been nailed and lost my license by the time the night was over!!! And i was not even going that fast - only about 10 mph over the limit.

Drive safe!

Adam
Old 08-25-2007, 11:51 AM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
I have been away and playing in other forums the past year. I came back for a visit to find this thread still alive! Wow!! What a great feeling that others are still following this thread for the install!

My install has been working for 2 years with no side effects. I have been saved from about 10 radar traps and 5 laser hits so far. Amazingly, of those hits, 4 radar traps and 2 laser hits all happened on a single night last year on a 2.5 hour ride from the Jersey shore to Baltimore between 11 pm until 1:30 am on a summer friday night. I would have been nailed and lost my license by the time the night was over!!! And i was not even going that fast - only about 10 mph over the limit.

Drive safe!

Adam
Adam,

You should be getting residuals from your V1 DIY. I used your write up in early March on my 'new' 2005 997S and all worked just fine.

I'll admit it didn't save me from a left turn on red ticket a few months ago. For that you need a 'Brain Fade' detector. LOL

Thanks,

Arnie

Old 09-05-2007, 05:51 PM
george_k
Instructor

sdorn, you don't need the V1 power cable at all, all you need for the power supply is a modular phone cable and an inline fuse from radio shack or an autoparts store, 1080i's instructions were perfect, had mine installed in 15 minutes.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:15 PM
printemps2001
Instructor

For those who don't wish to solder wires, or modify the Valentine kit, I used the following modification of 1080i's procedure:
1. Remove the entire overhead console cover, not just the light (the instructions are in the manual under emergency roof operation).
2. The sunroof motor will be prominently visible. Loosen about 12-18 inches (depending on where you wish to mount the V1) of the supplied phone cord. To the right of the motor, there is plenty of space to stuff extra wire so you don't need to cut (basically over the passenger visor).
3. Mount the velcro to the body colored area in front of the motor(just above the right screw hole from the screw you just removed to get the cover off).
4. For the ground, I slid the bras clip back from the right screw hole (see above) and bent it slightly to fit the fork of the V1 ground wire between the brass clip and the painted body area. Slide the clip back so you can reattach the cover(when you reattach the cover, the screw will secure the ground). Note that there is a screw that is more easily accessible (Allen head) on the motor itself. I chose not to use it since I was wary of grounding to the sunroof motor. If anyone has any perspective on this decision, please post it.
5. Next access the black and orange wire (to mirror) as 1080i instructs. Note that for my car it was exactly as he indicated, but it is probably always safe to verify in case color coding changes at Porsche. Rather than cut and solder, I used the V1 clip. Note that the gauge of the wire is smaller than the clip so you need to clamp the metal in the clip around the wire with a pliers to make the connection or buy a clip for a smaller gauge wire(I didn't because I already had the car apart by the time I figured this out).
6. Mount the V1 connector plug to the velcro (it actually fits pretty neatly in the area partially tucked under the headliner. You can stuff the power and ground lines where you put the excess phone line too, making for a pretty clean install.
7. Plug in the V1 and turn the key to aux. power. If it doesn't work, check connection to the hot lead (black and orange wire) via the V1 plastic clamp (that's where I had a problem) and make sure the wire jacket has been penetrated for a good connection.
8. Put it all back together (the phone line to the V1 can fit out between the console cover and windshield).

It took me about 2 hours, mainly due to trying to figure the best place to put everything and troubleshooting the connection issue noted above. I would guess it would take 30-45 minutes if I were to do it again knowing what I have learned. Not sure if it is easier than 1080i's method, but it saved me from having to cut, solder, and modify the V1 kit.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:51 PM
jollyjolly
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict

Drive safe!

Adam
+1

Adam - count me as another satisfied customer. I did the install for my V1 yesterday - your instructions were dead on, and easy to follow.

I did try to deviate a bit - I bought some inline connectors (the kind that snap on, don't require soldering) for the hot and ground wires... but nixed the idea when I realized it would take up too much space.

The idea of using a blanket to cover the dash was excellent.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:53 PM
SKYSTAK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone tried to do a light or homelink V1 hookup on a 08 Cayenne?
Old 09-15-2007, 03:16 AM
funcars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by printemps2001
Note that there is a screw that is more easily accessible (Allen head) on the motor itself. I chose not to use it since I was wary of grounding to the sunroof motor. If anyone has any perspective on this decision, please post it.
+1 on the instructions!

I just finished installing my v1. I had some tap-in connectors (from RatShack, I believe) that I used for +12v on the black/orange mirror wire, and then I did use the sunroof motor for ground. I backed off one of the torx screws (rear left corner I think), slipped the fork underneath, and then tightened. Worked great.

I didn't use the v1 connector; instead I cut the phone cord and attached it to leads with the fuse/fork. Much easier to fit back underneath the overhead console.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Jim McCann

Has anyone done this installation on a 997 without the self dimming mirror? I took mine apart and it has a completely different wire harness and I could not find 12v.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:06 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim McCann
Has anyone done this installation on a 997 without the self dimming mirror? I took mine apart and it has a completely different wire harness and I could not find 12v.
I did a different installation. This one is a great quick and relatively easy one.

If you lack a 12VDC switched power source overhead (which the dimming mirrors provide) you can always try my bomb proof and a bit excessive wiring job:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...e+Installation

When I do a wiring job I do it so that the thing meets mil spec standards for safety and thoroughness. I solder all connections and tie off the installation every so many inches so that nothing can ever fall down and become an issue.

You can follow that link or find it yourself with a search for "Another Valentine 1 Installation"
Old 09-27-2007, 06:45 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gt3

i just did mine, about 20minuets ago on a gt3RS. the 12v hot was brown/purple. brown/brown remained grounded. the others ahd power but fluctated with switches on the lights.

Originally Posted by Jim McCann
Old 09-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Jim McCann

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll give Dan's install a try. It looks clean and relatively straight forward!
Old 10-22-2007, 09:18 PM
wg8221
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Want to thank everyone for the info. Hardwired my 2008 997 TT today and it works great. used the orange/black wire and grounded it using the attachment screw for the cover. Great info on a great forum.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, great thread. Just a question for you all--anyone have the suction mount come off the windshield yet? Just a little worried about that kind of heavy V1 hitting the dash . . .
Old 10-29-2007, 09:29 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon996
Wow, great thread. Just a question for you all--anyone have the suction mount come off the windshield yet? Just a little worried about that kind of heavy V1 hitting the dash . . .
I've found the suction cups stick pretty dependably provided that you apply a little moisture to them prior to sticking them on.

Alternatively, you could use the included sunvisor mount - obviously precluding the use of whichever sun visor to which the V1 is attached - which is a good method as well.

Quick Reply: DIY: V1 Switched Power Hardwire Installation for the 997