Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 Octane? Do Cali members use boost products?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 04:31 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
Out of boredom and wanting to go for a spirited drive on the angeles crest highway, I put in a bottle of 108 octance booster. There is a noticeable difference in engine smoothness and power. Not significant but noticeable. I guess the AK sensors work overtime on the west coast. Wonder if there'll be an issue with longevity due to constant knocking?
I don't think the 108 or 104 octane boosters do anything. The amount they can actually raise octane levels from a pint of 104 or 108 would be insignificant. I'm sure you will feel a much larger difference with that 100 octane you just added to your car.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:36 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An experience with the 96' M3 running race gas @ 104 octane from Sunoco is that my car actually felt slower. I then mixed it to about 94-95 octane and it felt much better. I attributed this with the fact that the higher octane gas was out of the adjustment range for the spark. The advantages of the higher octane is that it provides a more controlled burn as opposed to lower octane levels thereby allowing your car to spark closer to TDC. If your car does not have the range to advance the timing than you won't see the high performance gain. Just my thoughts.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stom_m3
An experience with the 96' M3 running race gas @ 104 octane from Sunoco is that my car actually felt slower. I then mixed it to about 94-95 octane and it felt much better. I attributed this with the fact that the higher octane gas was out of the adjustment range for the spark. The advantages of the higher octane is that it provides a more controlled burn as opposed to lower octane levels thereby allowing your car to spark closer to TDC. If your car does not have the range to advance the timing than you won't see the high performance gain. Just my thoughts.
Stom, 100 octane is made from Toluene, which burns at higher temps. So the fuel isn't fully ignited and actually will fry your cat (hope you had a bypass!)
And you are right, mixing 100 with 91 octane at 1:2 or 1:3 to get 93 or 94 octane does make my 997 happier, but having higher than 94 octane doesn't do anything more. My M5 is definitely happier at 2:1 91:100 octane.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stom_m3
I don't think the 108 or 104 octane boosters do anything. The amount they can actually raise octane levels from a pint of 104 or 108 would be insignificant. I'm sure you will feel a much larger difference with that 100 octane you just added to your car.
Stom I actually goofed. I put in the NOS MMT octane boost. The 108 I used on the M5 in double dose always at 1/2 tank.

Quick Reply: 93 Octane? Do Cali members use boost products?