Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Short Shifter Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 11:12 AM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm...recall or TSB? recall would mean that all of our cars would have to come...

Do you have any documentation on w557? Appreciated!
Old 06-22-2006, 01:28 AM
cgng30
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I installed by OEm ss kit few days ago. it is awsome, very precise, but little notchyOne thing I noticed though is that going from second to neutral or second to third i feel a big thud. It only happens when i sanp the shifter with my wrist. If I shift smoothly there is not thud sound. I also noticed that this is happening going from second to neutral and before engaing third. I know it sounds weird. I had marked the cables and put them back fairly close to the marking. any feed back would be appreciated.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Originally Posted by cgng30
Hi
I installed by OEm ss kit few days ago. it is awsome, very precise, but little notchyOne thing I noticed though is that going from second to neutral or second to third i feel a big thud. It only happens when i sanp the shifter with my wrist. If I shift smoothly there is not thud sound. I also noticed that this is happening going from second to neutral and before engaing third. I know it sounds weird. I had marked the cables and put them back fairly close to the marking. any feed back would be appreciated.

I also installed the OEM shifter myself a while back .
There are two cables which need adjusting. One is for reverse, the other for all forward gears.
There is a lot of "fine tuning" possible with the cable lengths .
They can be adjusted ~ one mm at a time.
I kept adjusting the connections until it felt " just right " thru ALL gears and
I have NEVER had any problems of any kind.

I really believe most mechanics don't take the time to really do it properly, so it becomes a hit-miss proposition .They just make the connections , and as long as it reasonably works , they call it a day.
Some work great , others less so.

If I had any issues with either shifter , I would INSIST that the problem is corrected . And don't let them try to convince you otherwise .
Keep bringing the car back and WATCH them open the console and adjust the cables if you have to .
This transmission and the shifters are among "the best in the world" and there is no reason why anyone should not expect them to perform that way.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:23 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like others have said, I see difficulties going into 1st gear when there is any forward movement especially when the car is cold. When it warms up I can sometimes get it into 1st when there is forward movement, but I haven't tried the trick OCBen describes.

When the car is perfectly still with my foot on the brake, it always shifts into 1st gear very smoothly. Cold or not, from day 1 this has never been a problem.

It also has been more compliant recently (after 3100 miles), so part of it seems to be a break-in thing.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:55 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

File a formal complaint with the Service Manager and if they do not fix the problem forward your complaint to PCNA.

I had similiar issues... P-car would not go in 1st gear or reverse. The gear linkage cable was routed and adjusted. The ssk has been working fine for over 9 months.

You have a very valid complaint!!!!!!

Read your lemon law protection.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:05 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

just had to opportunity to drive a SSK S cab my friend just bought, back to back with my S cab, which doesnt have theSSK...i thought the throws on the standard shifter were short, but the SSK is amazingly short!!!! almost too short to get the real feel of shifting, if that makes sense...there is a little more effort and notchiness,but not a big deal...it was 90degrees out, so this helped the feel of the SSK..but the regular tranny is so positive and easy to shift that i think i prefer it to the SSK...maybe i am just use to it,,,,,
Old 06-22-2006, 05:22 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

You can't go wrong with the OEM or SSK... what feels and works best for you, no wrong or correct answer.

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Factory Short Shifter Problem?