Sponsored by:

Southern California Porsche Roads

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 06:58 PM
ArthurY
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Southern California Porsche Roads

What are your favorites Southern California Porsche drives?

My two preferred mountain twisties are:

1. The Ortega Highway (Route 74) between San Juan Capistrano on the coast to Lake Elsinore, about 30 miles; and

2. Route 33 from Ojai, through Wheeler Springs, over Pine Mountain, to the Lockwood Valley Road junction, about 37 miles.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:06 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

ArthurY:

I am familiar with Lockwood Valley Road its a nice loop from the 5 Freeway across Lockwood Valley down 33 to 101 and back across 126 to the 5. I used to do that run in my old P-car and on sport bikes.

Another nice local (I live in Stevenson Ranch near Santa Clarita) road is the Lake Hughes road up to Lake Elizabeth Road.

Another road I used to ride all the time was HWY 2 Angeles Crest Highway out of LaCanada (used to live nearby there) 26.2 miles up to a little cafe called Newcomb's Ranch. Highway 2 goes all the way to Wrightwood if one desires.

A few of my favorites.

Toomey
Old 02-04-2007, 08:11 AM
humbug
Advanced

Default Anything closer to San Diego?

Sun is out and the weather is nice...for those of you in Southern California especailly in the San Diego neighborhood, where is there a nice road to go cruising on with a cab. To those of you with bad weather, I'm sorry.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:09 PM
BWELZ
Track Day

Found the following description of a great driving road. Some good bends and straights. Read this and I'm sure you will itching to make the drive with your honey. Don't forget the picnic basket!
Angeles Crest Scenic Byway: La Canada to Mountain Top Junction (La Canada, CA)
"A sixty-six-mile-long highway that climbs from La Canada to the lofty, forested crest of the San Gabriel Mountains north of Los Angeles. The Angeles Crest Highway is simply breathtaking. It's one of southern California's best scenic drives. The two-lane, paved road ascends to the twisting crest of the San Gabriel Mountains north of the Los Angeles Basin. The spectacular road, far removed from the hustle, smog, and traffic of nearby cities, accesses startling landscapes that seem out of character with the usual conceptions of southern California. A rare peace is found atop these mountains. The wind, sweeping off the ocean, whispers through ancient limber pines at timberline; long views of other snowcapped ranges, dusty desert basins, and distant city streets stretch out beyond abrupt ridges; and the elemental earth seems unchanging and almost unmarked by the passage of man. The mountains are chaotic, shaped and changed by faults, uplifts, and earthquakes. Its ecosystems include dense ch... "
Old 02-04-2007, 01:19 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Take 79 South from Temecula - then 371 to 74 East

This is the palms to pines highway, and the trip over the mountain and down into Palm Desert has the most incredible sections of twisties.

You'll be turning around, and doing it again, it's that much fun in the P-Car!

Check out the final descent into Palm Desert in the top right of this satellite image!

Chris.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:47 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,002 Likes on 374 Posts

Mulholland Highway from Topanga to PCH. PCH up the coast to Las Posas (high speed portion). Las Posas to Hueneme Road. Hueneme Road to Portero Road. Portrero to Wendy Road. Wendy to 101. I use this route with every new car. It's fantastic.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:49 PM
BWELZ
Track Day

Default Take 79 South from Temecula - then 371 to 74 East

True. That road is outrageous at the decent into the desert. It has been many years since I have driven it. Last time for me was in a 1986 VW GTI w/street mods (in 1987). Front wheel drive! Couple times came very close to ending up on the off-road portion (straight down) aaah the crazy days. Should try it again in the 997 and see if theres any improvement to my driving. In retrospect, I probably wouldn't be here today if I had a P-Car then...
Thanks for the reminder!
Old 02-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Mulholland Highway from Topanga to PCH. PCH up the coast to Las Posas (high speed portion). Las Posas to Hueneme Road. Hueneme Road to Portero Road. Portrero to Wendy Road. Wendy to 101. I use this route with every new car. It's fantastic.
If you stay on Portero Road past Wendy Drive, you'll pass through Lake Sherwood and some of the beautiful horse ranches that dot that two-laner. Then you can head back up to the 101 on Westlake Blvd. or continue around Westlake on Triunfo Canyon Road into Lindero Canyon Road which will put you back on 101. Just extends your favorite by a few more miles.
Great roads all over the place out there!
Old 02-04-2007, 02:20 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Fwy 10 between Cal State Los Angeles to the Coast M to Fri... Lots of fun Kidding...Angeles Crest Hated the bikers though...
Old 02-04-2007, 03:39 PM
BWELZ
Track Day

Bikers are at a minimum during the colder times of year and during the week days. I know what you mean though... what a buzz-kill (I mean that figuratively, never drive with a substance induced buzz- only Porsche induced!)
Old 02-04-2007, 03:59 PM
4thporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Chris F. It's 5 minutes from my house. Took my son there for a spirited drive yesterday. Can't beat the weather we're having now!
Old 02-04-2007, 03:59 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

just say no to angeles crest on the weekend....i used to ride my moto up there up until i came up on a accident scene (life vac, zx7 vs 320i head on). haven't been since, i'm sure it's still much of the same, and yes, i still own a bike.

no mas for me.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:08 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

All the CA roads you'd ever want here: http://www.pashnit.com/

It's best if the road you choose isn't a short cut between two areas i.e. Ortega Highway(too narrow, a lot of cars and too many bikes that may cross the double yellow) Up off of Angeles Forest Hwy has some great spots that are really nice through the week. You'll hardly see another person.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:08 PM
4thporsche
Racer

I agree with oalverez about Angeles Crest. I grew up in La Canada and have seen many bad accidents over the years. Wiped out on my bike up there and had to be airlifted out.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:49 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,002 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
If you stay on Portero Road past Wendy Drive, you'll pass through Lake Sherwood and some of the beautiful horse ranches that dot that two-laner. Then you can head back up to the 101 on Westlake Blvd. or continue around Westlake on Triunfo Canyon Road into Lindero Canyon Road which will put you back on 101. Just extends your favorite by a few more miles.
Great roads all over the place out there!
Leader: agreed. It's one of many reasons I love SoCal. Add Stunt Road (although lately it's being heavily patrolled), Latigo Cyn, Encinal Cyn and Lake Hughes Road.

A friend just moved up to Lake Hughes so I seem to find myself finding excuses to go visit him more often.

Quick Reply: Southern California Porsche Roads