997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best porsche values for weekend fun?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005 | 06:55 AM
tarpon1
Instructor

Default best porsche values for weekend fun?

selling the 997S and buying a BMW 750il on the other side for the "serious" vehicle. problem is i love the porsche and don't want to sever ties until i replace it with a new one in a few years. what would you buy as a weekend driver or one which you could commute in without looking over your shoulder all the time worrying about the mom in the minivan with the screaming kids and cell phone who's about to plow into you? (don't laugh it's happened to me, luckily i was in a dodge ram pickup). seems there's a lot of nice cars out there for a reasonable amount of money that could be a blast to drive...thinking a 993 (i like the lines on the older ones) or possibly a 930 turbo ( which i used to drool over when they first came out).
Old 08-30-2005 | 09:59 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

get a 96 993 coupe. I enjoy driving my escape as much as the 997 just for the "i don't care factor" what the hell happens to it feeling!

some days its nice to park anywhere and drive an automatic!
Old 08-30-2005 | 10:43 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rss997
get a 96 993 coupe. I enjoy driving my escape as much as the 997 just for the "i don't care factor" what the hell happens to it feeling!

some days its nice to park anywhere and drive an automatic!
I hear you dude, but I had a 96 993 and not ONCE did I EVER have the "I don't care factor" for that air cooled beauty.
Old 08-30-2005 | 10:49 AM
AeroSmith
Pro

And your not keeping the 997S why? Just keep it. It's the weekend car you want.
Old 08-30-2005 | 04:55 PM
djantlive
Drifting

I'll trade my 02 cab with your 997S. I'll throw in a free tank of gas with free shipping for both cars
Old 08-30-2005 | 09:45 PM
tarpon1
Instructor

a whole tank of gas? hmmm...light crude closed @ $69.81 a barrel today so....actually took delivery of 200 gallons last week on the farm; pretty happy about it now...if i thought i could keep the 997S along with the new BMW i scooped last night and get away with it....problem is this little 5'5" blonde who is very persuasive...i like the idea of having a car you can just drive for the pure fun of it...not have a coronary if it gets a little dirt or a nick on it...not worry about where you're going to park it...something you can take out on the country roads on the weekends...that doesn't mean i wouldn't want to take good care of it and maintain it but not to museum standards. also not to mention the savings on personal property tax here in va. which is $3.70 per each $100 of assessed value. then tack on insurance. did i mention my wife got pulled over doing 97 in a navigator? yeah, that really helps...
Old 08-30-2005 | 10:23 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

She gets the ticket so you have to sell your sports car? Give me a break.

And you're complaining about personal property taxes when you have a farm and a fleet of cars? Come on man, you're wealthy. You know you can afford it.

And why do you have to treat the Carrera like a museum piece? It's a car man! So it gets a little nick here or a small chip there. That happens when you drive a car. It'll still drive great. It'll still be a Porsche. It'll still keep that **** eating grin on your face every time you drive it. Relax. Enjoy your Porsche. Drive it like you're the Porsche test driver.

Seriously, keep the 997S. Why take the financial hit of selling it if you don't need the money. If anything, loose that fat pig Hummer.

PS. Any pictures of the hot blonde?
Old 08-30-2005 | 10:30 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Aerosmith:

Speaking of nics, are you going to clear bra your car?

Toomey
Old 08-30-2005 | 10:35 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by 996toomey
Aerosmith:

Speaking of nics, are you going to clear bra your car?

Toomey
Hmmmm, I have never done this on any of my cars.

It always seemed to me like putting a plastic cover on the livingroom sofa.

I will, however, be tinting the windows. That's pretty much a must here in the Sunshine State.

How about you? You gonna go with the clear bra?
Old 08-30-2005 | 10:40 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

I don't know. Like you I have never done it either. I really don't care for the lines so am still undecided. My 996 had about 16K miles on it and had some rock chips but still looked excellent so undecided on the bra.
Old 08-31-2005 | 03:21 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Clear bra is a joke..........save your money!
Old 08-31-2005 | 06:22 AM
dom4471
Instructor

my wife uses our 997s as the only daily driver with a dog and 6 year old boy - so it does lead a hard life, it has its far share of parking/shopping trolley dings plus the french/italians believe in touch parking (and normally its a 25 year old fiat covered in dents and scratches who is doing the touching). but i rationalise it along the lines of, end of the day its only a piece of metal ( one i love) and that these things happen and life is too short to get bent out of shape about it.
Old 08-31-2005 | 10:03 PM
tarpon1
Instructor

guess i'll know by tomorrow night whether my name is still on the title...if i don't sell it i wouldn't be too upset...i agree they were mean't to be driven not stored and the only reason i haven't is because i'm sitting @ 1450 miles which should be good for resale in theory. i was also thinking if i had leased it for a year i'd still out around the same amount. i literally pulled the trigger on this car on a thursday night and they closed my department monday morning in a consolidation move without so much as a warning shot. wasn't about to give up the porsche on top of it. if i keep it i'm not going to be worrying about a nick here or there...i'll dive in head first and drive the h.e. double hockeysticks out of it. AeroSmith; i'll see if i can't find a suitable picture of the blonde turbo...

Quick Reply: best porsche values for weekend fun?