Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

$3.09 In Valencia CA this morning!
Old 04-18-2006, 04:54 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you guys crying about?
Your paying less than a third that the ROW pays for their gas - and have been for 50 years.
So we dont feel sorry for you.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:01 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Was that a shot across the bow? .... At least across the pond.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:05 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Paid just $2.69 for Premium yesterday in Central Jersey. I've heard that Jersey has some of the cheapest gas in the US.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

I thought the cheapest was in Houston TX?
Old 04-18-2006, 05:35 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
What are you guys crying about?
Your paying less than a third that the ROW pays for their gas - and have been for 50 years.
So we dont feel sorry for you.
I am not complaining. When I was in Hong Kong earlier this year, it would cost them at least $100 to fill it up
Old 04-18-2006, 05:54 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The US has oil, but until it goes to something like $200/barrel, its not worth recovering it.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 133 Posts

I recall spending $50 to fill my LITTLE DIESEL rental car outside Paris in 2000. So,--in the states, it's a BARGAIN!

Dan
Old 04-18-2006, 06:35 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OCBen
And they’re doing it because they know they can get away with it. Not only do they have a fiduciary responsibility to their stockholders to make as much money as they can, it’s in their job description to do it well, or they can be replaced. It’s easy to be cynical at a time like this but I really believe there are some oil company execs who really feel bad about it, if not guilty for how it affects those who can least afford the increases. (Their families and relatives are impacted too.) Obviously the market forces of supply and demand aren’t enough in the short run to curtail the outrageous profits these companies are making. Fuel is a necessity that even the poor must buy. It’s not like a fancy car that is being marked up and sold to the highest bidder – in which case if the price is too high you don’t buy what you don’t need. Sure in the long run people will have to dump their gas guzzling SUVs (I hate them too) and get more fuel efficient vehicles. But in the short run there clearly needs to be some governmental controls like price caps or other regulatory measures in place for the sake of the economy and to limit the devastating affect on the poorest among us.

But I think that instead of price caps a better measure would be a cap on profits – that way they would be forced to sell gas at a fixed margin based on what they paid for oil. I don’t like government regulations generally, but in the case of an essential commodity I think regulations are warranted in order to keep our economy from going in the tank.
I thought you were in line with Dennis Miller's thinking. I don't know but I doubt he would be for governmental controls.

The Free Market is the only way. Even if inconvienient some times.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:41 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

I'm really suprised to see otherwise well-to-do sophisticated guys counting other people's money.

I'm pleased to hear about all that success. Where else in the world?

What a country, what a time. Count our Blessings.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:16 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by allegretto
I thought you were in line with Dennis Miller's thinking. I don't know but I doubt he would be for governmental controls.
Of course he's for governmental controls. Check out his views on illegal immigration:

"Hey folks, let's cut to the chase on illegal immigration. A recent study shows that the number of illegal immigrants in this country jumped to 11 million over the past few years, which basically means if our nation's borders were any more violated, they'd be guests at Neverland Ranch.

I won't dwell on the problem with our northern border. Because I'm not confronted on a daily basis with the sight of illegals from Winnipeg standing at the freeway off-ramp selling bags of used hockey equipment.

The problem for me is on our border with Mexico, where undocumented workers cross into the United States so easily, if we installed electricity-generating turnstiles, we could create enough power to light up El Paso.

There are two schools of thought on how to stem the onslaught of illegals flowing into this country. Hardliners support such "get tough" policies as building a wall along the border. While others support more diplomatic means, like guest-worker visas that would guarantee Mexicans jobs if they agree to someday return home. I propose combining the two: we give the illegals jobs building the wall. And when they're done, we just nudge 'em back onto the Mexican side.

Or better yet, instead of a wall, how about a beautiful art installation at the border by the artist known as Christo, a maze made of colorful fabric that leads anyone who enters it right back to where they started. See? Keeping illegal immigrants out of our country doesn't have to be an ugly thing.

Solving the immigration crisis isn't just about guest worker status or who should get a driver's license, but about making sure terrorists who want to kill us can't get into the country. And the only way to ensure that is to make sure security at our borders is tighter than Ruben Studdard's seatbelt in coach."
Old 04-27-2006, 01:34 PM
OCBen
Banned

Default Tax breaks for oil companies???

From MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12509275/

On Tuesday, Bush suspended filling of the nation’s emergency oil reserve, urged the waiver of clean air rules to ease local gas shortages and called for the repeal of $2 billion in tax breaks for profit-heavy oil companies. He also urged lawmakers to expand tax breaks for the purchase of fuel-efficient hybrid automobiles.

Both Republicans and Democrats said they planned to support rescinding the $2 billion in tax breaks, which included subsidies for exploration in deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico and in geologically or politically difficult regions of the world, as well as royalty relief for certain oil and gas exploration. Executives of the major oil companies said at a recent hearing they do not need those tax breaks.

No kidding! ..
Old 04-27-2006, 01:59 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OCBen
From MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12509275/

On Tuesday, Bush suspended filling of the nation’s emergency oil reserve, urged the waiver of clean air rules to ease local gas shortages and called for the repeal of $2 billion in tax breaks for profit-heavy oil companies. He also urged lawmakers to expand tax breaks for the purchase of fuel-efficient hybrid automobiles.

Both Republicans and Democrats said they planned to support rescinding the $2 billion in tax breaks, which included subsidies for exploration in deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico and in geologically or politically difficult regions of the world, as well as royalty relief for certain oil and gas exploration. Executives of the major oil companies said at a recent hearing they do not need those tax breaks.

No kidding! ..
Anything having to do with "tax breaks" or "windfall profits tax" for oil companies is all smoke and mirrors.

Oil companies do not pay taxes folks. You pay them at the pump, the companies are just revenue collectors for you-know-whom. The game never changes, it's just about guessing which shell the ball is under.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 133 Posts

The real issue that is causing the volatility of the market is the production capacity number compared to the consumption number. For some time we had a 5 million bll per day excess capacity but with China entering the consumer market for energy that capacity has dropped to 1 million bll per day excess. As a result, any little hickup to the system of drilling, transportation, refining, etc. will react much more quickly to the price of a gallon of gas. There is no longer any cushion.

Here's what I propose,--the Rennlist group should invest in the construction of a new refinery! (Let's put it in New Mexico and make California blends,--to include 98 octane!)

Dan

Quick Reply: Gas prices go up?