Sponsored by:

Future P Car owner here...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Future P Car owner here...

So, firstly I'd like to say that this is one of the most informative forums out there! It's funny how it's based out of NH. I grew up in NH (Portsmouth) I wonder if I know who the owners are of this site.

Okay, so a few statements with a couple questions for ya. This past weekend I tested a 997 Carrera. It was Slate on Terracota (favorite interior) ....so I'm out testing it, and the the sales guy says, "hit it". So I did. What came next really perplexed me.

Initially, the rear squat a little, but then (I'm entering a corner) the front lifts a little and seemed to "push"...like understeer.........I was like "Wtf was that?" he said he didn't feel it....at first.......I thought I was a bit nieve.......which still could be.......but I used to race bikes before, and pride myself on knowing (what little I do know about racing) what 'pushing' feels like. So I was wondering.......wtf was it? Low tire pressure?

Also, after having gone to 2 different dealers here in Tampa/Sarasota.....there seems to be some inconsistancy here....

One told me that oil changes do not need to happen for 20K, while the other one said 7k. Knowing me, I'd never go 20k for oil changes. But what's with the different answer?

One told me that the plant is closed from mid July through all of August, while the other told me that it's only closed for 2 weeks in August.

Now, a little background on me- I managed a MB dealership in Boston for 2 years.........so i know ALL about car dealers......but this is going to be my first Porsche.....and I want to have all the correct information.....

The reason I ask about service is because I'm more than likely going to Lease a 997S. So I want to qualify all costs, servcies, brakes, clutch ect. So I can build that into my monthly cost numbers.

After owning a Benz, I was going to go the CLS55 route, but realizing I'm just not getting 'excited' about spending that sort of money made me realize I want a car that will make me wake up early in the morning just to drive it. And the P car is IT!!

Your answers and comments are very much appreciated!! Thanks!
Old 08-22-2005, 11:36 AM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
the sales guy says, "hit it". So I did. What came next really perplexed me.

Initially, the rear squat a little, but then (I'm entering a corner) the front lifts a little and seemed to "push"...like understeer.........
Well, as you know, throttle will put the weight of the car on the rears creating understeer. On the other hand braking into a turn followed by trail braking will keep the weight on the fronts, giving you better turn in, ie. no understeer. The as you start to straighten out the wheel, that's the time to "hit it"

Or maybe I misunderstand exactly what was happening during your test drive. But one thing I will say is that these cars are not known to understeer in their two wheel drive guise.

On the oil changes, the 996 (2004 911 and earlier) interval is 15,000 miles. Florida is a harsh climate and so 7,500 is recomended. The 997 interval, I believe, is 20,000 miles (correct me if I'm wrong here guys). In Florida that would then be lowered to 10,000 miles. I can see how salesmen get confused. Personally, I will change the oil on my 997 every 7,500 miles, the same as on my 996.

Not sure on the exact plant closing though it's in the summer some time.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the Gulf Coast!

Oh yeah, nice avatar!
Old 08-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Thanks for your help. Yeah, I wasn't planning on going near 10k down here let alone 20k. As far as the 'push' feel I think that I'm just not familiar with the P car, so I'm reading into something that I'm not aware of. Dunno.

Glad you like the avatar. That's me on a friends old R1 about 2 summers ago...
Old 08-22-2005, 04:57 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm going to change mine every 5k. Starting at 2k, going to do it again at 5k, and then every 5k afterwards.

BTW, Go Sox! :-D
Old 08-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Damn straight Go Sox!! NC is one of the states in my territory......Beautiful state!!

And why is it after 4 super bowls we still don't get any damn respect? Does everyone Love to Hate New England?

Quick Reply: Future P Car owner here...