Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice on selling 997S...:(

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005 | 07:44 PM
tarpon1
Instructor

Unhappy need advice on selling 997S...:(

yes, it's true i may have to part with this beauty and i'm looking for any thoughts/advice on the cleanest way to sell my 2005 blk/blk 997S with 1450 miles. problem is i just don't have the opportunity to drive it and i may wait until i have more play time in a couple of years. i will obviously post on rennlist classifieds once i get some pix together but i know a couple of members have sold already. what i want to avoid is getting my lungs ripped out by a dealer on a possible trade or having a bunch of curious people coming to the house just to see if they can get a free ride.
Old 08-19-2005 | 11:09 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Check with Gary R. He sold his 997 S Guards Red with I think 7500 miles on it. He now is on the 964 site. Look him up. He will E-mail how to do it. He also got a nice price from what I hear.

Jay
Old 08-19-2005 | 11:09 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Don't know the market in Virginia but in Los Angeles area CA an ad in the Los Angeles Times with the cars.com option both for about $150. will sell it. You should have no trouble getting out without major hurt other than your tax and license.
Old 08-22-2005 | 08:45 AM
AS05NOVA
Track Day

It's not a big deal. Advertise it with the maximum number of permissable photos on cars.com and/or autotrader.com. Be patient and eventually your buyer will come along and buy it at a price WAY higher than a dealer would.

Just be willing to put up with Nigerian scam artists (don't reply) and those who inquire but aren't truly serious about buying.

If you want, I'll even sell it for you. I've sold six cars (and one motorcycle!) this year alone: four of my own and three for friends.
Old 08-23-2005 | 10:17 PM
tarpon1
Instructor

thanks for the tips. in the next day or two i will most likely toss it up on the rennlist board exclusively (as it should be) for a week or so before releasing it to the rest of the planet. problem is i don't have time to enjoy it and have held off completely breaking it in knowing that i might sell it. as much as i love the car (it's gorgeous) it's not the most practical choice right now. i'm thinking about swapping into the new BMW 750il for a few years and then rolling back into another porsche when the kids are in college and i'm not commuting anymore...
Old 08-24-2005 | 05:20 PM
Speed
Pro

You should also try Craigslist, and you should list it not just in your area but in cities that are within a day's drive. Two other suggestions: Porsche Panorama (you have to be a member of the Porsche Club) and the classified section of Excellence (ads are free for subscribers; $10 charge to include photo).
Old 08-24-2005 | 06:12 PM
OCBen
Banned

I got more hits with AutoTrader.com than with Cars.com (I had full ads in both) and was able to get what I was looking for when I sold my Boxster S to a local buyer searching on Autotrader.
Old 08-27-2005 | 04:53 PM
tarpon1
Instructor

just to make any possible buyers aware my 997S is officially on the block both here and in that four letter place across town. i would obviously prefer to deal with anyone here who might be interested given the anticipation members continue to have on getting their hands on new ones. i wouldn't want a member or their friend to miss out only to find out a few days late. i would be happy to e-mail pix to anyone. once again thanks for the friendly advice...i feel like a traitor but it's only temporary...what's a few more years? practicality bites!
Buck
Old 08-28-2005 | 04:37 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Originally Posted by tarpon1
yes, it's true i may have to part with this beauty and i'm looking for any thoughts/advice on the cleanest way to sell my 2005 blk/blk 997S with 1450 miles. problem is i just don't have the opportunity to drive it and i may wait until i have more play time in a couple of years. i will obviously post on rennlist classifieds once i get some pix together but i know a couple of members have sold already. what i want to avoid is getting my lungs ripped out by a dealer on a possible trade or having a bunch of curious people coming to the house just to see if they can get a free ride.
Sorry to hear about your dilemna. Any chance you would be willing to share your firm price?
Old 08-28-2005 | 05:22 PM
tarpon1
Instructor

well, let's see...how do we approach this? i would not characterize myself as a greedy man but at the same time i do not think of myself as the red cross or the salvation army either. if we were playing "the price is right" i would want to see an 8 in the first slot. since it's offered on rennlist @ $81k that begins to bracket it. specific inquiries can always be private messaged. i've had trouble downloading pix but i would be happy to e-mail pix to serious inquiries.
Old 08-29-2005 | 05:52 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Clever. I'll PM you once I decide.
Old 08-30-2005 | 06:45 AM
tarpon1
Instructor

not trying to be difficult but since the car is currently in play "publicly" for another couple days i have to be careful about painting myself into a corner and limiting my upside as well. i am actually thinking about buying an older porsche, possibly a 993 that i can drive for pure fun without worrying about getting a scratch on it. seems you can pick up a nice one for a pretty reasonable amount.
Old 09-05-2005 | 12:09 PM
tarpon1
Instructor

thanks to all those who provided tips on selling but as it turns out...the wife who was busting my chops about the car being such a waste got all misty eyed when i called her bluff and put it on the block...she started thinking about how she might want to drive it too...and the kids who were saying "sell it dad, you never get to drive it" realized they wouldn't get dropped off at school in a black 997S anymore...to tell the truth i've been depressed all weekend about the thought that it might really be gone soon but now i get to finish breaking it in and drive the heck out it with a clear conscience and no regrets...unbelieveable sense of happiness because i love this car!!! i guess i'll have to reconsider going to the PDE Masters course now (the first PDE course was a blast!).
Old 09-06-2005 | 01:56 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Wives do the damndest things sometimes. The masters should be good.

Quick Reply: need advice on selling 997S...:(