Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 06:53 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 164 Posts

You paid $100k for a beautiful new Porsche, which owing to a salesman's mistake (they've admitted this), now has four holes in the front bumper. If the guy had backed into your new car and dented the bumper, they would pay to have it fixed. I don't see the difference in this case. They should fix it.
A good body shop can do the work, repaint and clearcoat the bumper and only you will ever know it was drilled. Have it fixed at the dealer's expense.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:09 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would make sure, if you haven't already that your conversation with dealership is documented, copy the GM, and PCNA. I would also push for some upcoming free service for inconvenience.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:56 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

Rick,
i just read this after ur email...

this sucks. in CA although law requires front plate but i tell the dealer if they touch my bumper good luck finding another buyer & i'm out.

sorry to see that but trust me i know how u feel.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:49 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I picked up my car i told them not to put the front license plate on it. So, of course, they drilled the four holes and put only the license plate holder and left the plate off. I don't know, maybe I told them too late not to put the plate on until after they had drilled the holes. Or (perish the thought) they took my advice literally and put only the bracket on. One is merely mindless the other idiotic.

Anyway when I removed the holder I was shocked at the damage that had been done to the bumper and that it actually looked better with the holes covered up with the holder.

I think that if you live in a state where the front plate is mandatory (as I do) and IF you don't specify otherwise to the dealer (or specify too late) then those holes will be drilled as a matter of course. Why should the dealership assume the responsibility and break state law? They should offer every buyer a waver to sign indicating that he didn't want that front plate and thus cover their *** should the state try toi hold the dealer liable.

By the way how do 4 bumper plugs look??
Old 08-20-2005, 03:49 AM
jonquiljo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
They should offer every buyer a waver to sign indicating that he didn't want that front plate and thus cover their *** should the state try toi hold the dealer liable.

In California - at least the last 4 cars I've purchased - that's exactly what they do.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:27 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
When I picked up my car... By the way how do 4 bumper plugs look??
Probably not as good as two, but my guess would be that four will be better than none!
Old 08-21-2005, 12:31 AM
Speed
Pro

Originally Posted by MikeN
I believe all 997 and 987 models come with two small holes in the front bumper cover from the factory (look part of the actual mold). I've seen them fresh off the truck with them. Now why they decided to drill two more is beyond me.......but someone would get a pitch-fork up their A$$ if they did it to mine.
Not true. I ordered my 997S over the internet from Beechmont Porsche in Cincinnati. When I got word that the car was on the boat I gave my salesman strict instructions not to mount a front plate. Luckily, Ohio is not a front plate state so the dealership was not on autopilot in terms of mounting a front plate while prepping the car for delivery.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:35 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm in CA where front plates are required and most dealers do not mount the front plate.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Richard in Colorado
Racer

I'm in Colorado where a front plate is required by state law. I haven't put the front plate on yet & the dealership obeyed my request of not mounting the front bracket in place. If I get a few citations ($10 a pop) I might consider doing the deed & rationalize that the plate & bracket is just another line of defense from a frontal bump. This is just a rationalization though... I do prefer the look without.

Quick Reply: Front license plate