Sponsored by:

Locking sound option

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 12:39 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesWallis
4th, 5th, ........ it's really annoying.
WOW, that was three months ago, his posting of "3d" .... How could that comment possibly be annoying after lying dormant for three months gathering dust?
Old 11-11-2005, 12:44 PM
P-Nuts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not the message that is annoying ! But the way the locking works with just one button. IMHO.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:32 PM
MMD
Banned

Really really amazing that Porsche screwed this up. I can't tell you how many times I pressed the button, didn't hear anything, then wondered, then pressed button again, then realized I may have unlocked it then went back to check by lifting the handle. Now I stand one foot from car and listen really carefully: looks stupid and is stupid.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:47 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Actually you can set your Cayenne to provide both a 2 flash visual indicator of command acceptance and a half honk (sounds more like a quack) upon locking via the keyfob. All of my Cayenne loaners were configured this way by the dealer.
Damn, looks like I have got to re-read the manual!
Old 11-11-2005, 03:14 PM
dnp_now
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMD
Really really amazing that Porsche screwed this up. I can't tell you how many times I pressed the button, didn't hear anything, then wondered, then pressed button again, then realized I may have unlocked it then went back to check by lifting the handle. Now I stand one foot from car and listen really carefully: looks stupid and is stupid.
Hey MMD,

I know you just got your car and all. But wouldn't it be easier to just count how many times your lights flashes after you lock your car?

2 flahes for locked and
1 flash for unlocked

That way you can stand very far away and still see the flashes. Works very well at night too
Old 11-11-2005, 03:23 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You won't go wrong using AeroSmith's "Bye Bye" and "Hi" mnemonic.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:43 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Originally Posted by OCBen
You won't go wrong using AeroSmith's "Bye Bye" and "Hi" mnemonic.
Couple that with the very solid locking sound and you're good to go.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:22 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by dnp_now
Hey MMD,

I know you just got your car and all. But wouldn't it be easier to just count how many times your lights flashes after you lock your car?

2 flahes for locked and
1 flash for unlocked

Thanks for the clue dnp. Only problem is the darn thing doesn't do anything (except click the locks) when I lock it. I'll look into THAT too. Thanks for the reality check.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:30 PM
FastInATL
Intermediate

I agree about the visual cue, but sometimes it's bright out, or more importantly you're walking to the restaurant/theater/club with someone sexy and enticing and the last thing you want to do is stand behind your car like an *** counting the flashes.

My Acura CL-S had a really acceptable beep, not like an alarm, not like the horn, just a soft beep, just loud enough to hear but not irritating. Plus it had separate buttons, so even if you double pressed you were OK. Porsche designs some of the best stuff on earth, I am very confident they can find a way to make a key that isn't too confusing as to which key to press for lock/unlock.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:26 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

AeroSmith's memorable "bye-bye" (2 flashes of the lights) and "hi" (1 flash) are great. A good observation that I had simply missed in the past. Actually, this good advice did it for me and separate lock and unlcok buttons suddenly seemed superfluous.

Today, though, my Cayenne loaner had a separate lock and unlock switch on the key fob. My 2004 Cayenne S does not have this feature, so perhaps Porsche is listening to complaints. Great, after I was just getting used to one button...
Old 11-16-2005, 11:53 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jonquiljo
Hell, I live in Marin, CA - you need a flag to pick out your Porsche in the parking lot, there are so many. Figures that our other car is a Mercedes E series - again find yours in the parking lot.

There needs to be a button on the remote that sends a signal flare up to identify your car.
Or, you can paint your car California Azurro Blue--then just follow the crowd to your car

When I got my first Porsche, a 99 Boxster, I missed an alarm beep but you get used to it. Now I think Porsche got it right.

Also, another tip--train yourself to watch the instrument panel through the window. The odometer goes out as soon as the remote activates the locking/alarm--for those times when you didn't hear the locks cycle or see the flash, the dash will never steer you wrong.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:43 AM
dhartger
Intermediate

The flash and the beep are like a homing signal for car thieves who cant steal cars anymore without the key. Flash and beep = HEY IM HERE WITH A KEY NEXT TO A $100,000 PORSCHE, COME SHOOT ME AND TAKE MY CAR!!!!!

I try to avoid the flash and beep as much as possible.

Quick Reply: Locking sound option