Sponsored by:

Gremlins: Parking lights on but not SFRTW club yet

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 07:17 PM
rotthaus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Gremlins: Parking lights on but not SFRTW club yet

I had the Carrera out yesterday. It sat in the rain for about 90 minutes (light rain, not heavy enough to need an umbrella but enough to get the car wet). Threw some stuff in the trunk and had it open for about a minute. Drove home with one stop without event. Parked in the garage and the parking lights came on and would not turn off. Tried the light switch, the ignition switch, restart, threats - lights still on.

NO System Fault Return To Workshop but chirping alerts that the parking lights were on. I went and messed around elsewhere for 15 minutes and came back to find the parking lights still on. Switched ignition on but did not start car and they went out.

Car was well behaved today. I will dutifully record the problem with the dealership when I have the oil changed post break-in next week. Other than the cd player intermittently forgetting what track it was on when shut off the car had been flawless up to this point.

Milage 2038. February build with extra port hold before going on vessel.

Greg
2005 Carrera S Coupe, Lapis Blue Metallic, Carrera Classic Wheels, PCCB, Bose, Sport Shifter, Sport Seats
Old 08-14-2005, 07:23 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Related to your problem?
Old 08-14-2005, 08:48 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

How long is your setting set for them to stay on after turning off the car????????
Old 08-15-2005, 11:43 AM
baboou
Instructor

I've had similar gremlins. Open the passenger door and the parking lights came on. That happened once or twice and never happened again. Also had the interior lights stay on for a long time and would only go out when I locked the car. That issue also stopped on its own.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:05 PM
rotthaus
Instructor

AeroSmith: My problem is most likely related to that mentioned in the link you provided, but I did not get the System Fault, Return To Workshop message.

rss997: They are not set to stay on at all. The light switch was in the off position when it happened and it did not function as the lights do in the “delay” position (I forget the correct terminology for the first notch to the right of off). Also, when the parking and fog lights stay on when the light switch is in the “delay” position, the chime has not sounded.

Up until Saturday, I had managed to avoid opening the trunk when it was wet and had not had any problems other than the intermittently schizophrenic cd player. While I will mention it the next time the car is in so it is in the record book, I am pleased that I am not in the SFRTW club.

Greg
2005 Carrera S Coupe, Lapis Blue Metallic, Carrera Classic Wheels, PCCB, Bose, Sport Shifter, Sport Seats
Old 08-15-2005, 02:41 PM
BD997
Racer

mine sat in the pouring heavy rain yesterday afternoon for hours...I mean serious downfall (we havent gotten this much rain in Boston for a long time) started her up right after no problem no gremlins...
Old 08-15-2005, 03:18 PM
DD694
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rotthaus
I had the Carrera out yesterday. It sat in the rain for about 90 minutes (light rain, not heavy enough to need an umbrella but enough to get the car wet). Threw some stuff in the trunk and had it open for about a minute. Drove home with one stop without event. Parked in the garage and the parking lights came on and would not turn off. Tried the light switch, the ignition switch, restart, threats - lights still on.

NO System Fault Return To Workshop but chirping alerts that the parking lights were on. I went and messed around elsewhere for 15 minutes and came back to find the parking lights still on. Switched ignition on but did not start car and they went out.

Car was well behaved today. I will dutifully record the problem with the dealership when I have the oil changed post break-in next week. Other than the cd player intermittently forgetting what track it was on when shut off the car had been flawless up to this point.

Milage 2038. February build with extra port hold before going on vessel.

Greg
I had a somewhat similar "problem" several days ago. No rain was involved. I stopped my car and turned off the ignition and when I opened the door was greeted with the warning chirps. I noticed the left side lights were lighted, although the light switch was in the OFF position. I ultimately found that when I turned off the ignition I had left the left turn signal ON. This keeps the left side lights (side, front & back) lighted. This is, I think, a requirement for parking on the street in certain European locations. Returning the turn signal lever to its neutral position turned the side lights OFF and silenced the chirps.

I have found that occasional electrical issues can be resolved by "rebooting" the system by turning the ignition OFF and removing the key, then re-inserting the key and re-starting the car. Do you think Microsoft had any invovlement in the design of the lectrical system?
Old 08-17-2005, 05:15 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DD694
Do you think Microsoft had any invovlement in the design of the lectrical system?

So funny, but so true. Reboot fixed my single-cd issue, but only for a while...it came right back after about 24 hrs.

I also had my PCM lock up on me the other day, that was very interesting. Cycling the power on the car was the only remedy.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:37 PM
DD694
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My PCM was replaced when it began showing daylight and nighttime versions of the Navi map at alternating intervals for no apparent reason. Just recently I had the Navi DVD player and DVD replaced when it began losing 1/2 map images and then finally locked up and would not recognize the DVD's presence at all.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:03 PM
rotthaus
Instructor

Default Followup

I had the Carrera in for its post-break-in oil change today and had them check on the parking lights staying on problem. Diagnostics said everything was ok. No error codes were recorded in the computer. The service manager dutifully recorded the problem in the car’s permanent record.

Must be a Windows 98 operating system.

Greg
Old 08-26-2005, 07:05 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

What year is your car? 2005 or 2006? Thanks.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:49 PM
rotthaus
Instructor

MY 2005. February 2005 build.

Greg
Old 08-28-2005, 04:10 PM
Speed
Pro

Originally Posted by rotthaus
I had the Carrera in for its post-break-in oil change today and had them check on the parking lights staying on problem. Diagnostics said everything was ok. No error codes were recorded in the computer. The service manager dutifully recorded the problem in the car’s permanent record.
Is this something you did on your own? The manual only speaks about oil change at 20k mi.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:30 PM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Same problem...

I had the same problem with the parking lights one time last week.
During the day, opened up the door after shutting down the engine, and the parking lights on notice started up. Turned the lights on, then off with no resolution.
Restarted the car, turned it off, and it resolved.
I still haven't returned my car to the dealer to fix my hood latch problem... yes I will return to workshop soon.... and I will mention the parking light problem to them when I do.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:04 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

i have had the rtws 2nd time ...one from heavy rain the other from my little girl helping me wash the car... both times showed up the day after really wet.

2nd time i was towing my vehicle from the track
kind of a pain in the A ...just to have to go to dealer. i wish they could fix this

Quick Reply: Gremlins: Parking lights on but not SFRTW club yet