Sponsored by:

No More Porsche Sports Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 02:09 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SamG
Does anyone have a picture of a stock 997 muffler that was removed, I still don't think mine looks like that.
Take yours off and snap a picture. It only takes 30 minutes, on and off.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Bill - Chicago
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1999 do you have a picuture of a 997s sport exhaust? The 997 one has 2 pipes coming out going into 2 separate tail pipes, so it is a true quad exhaust. The mod you show might sound great and work, but it would not be the same. A good muffer shop could probably copy the 997s design, but I don't want to be the first to try.

Also did you modify the inside of you muffer to extend the pipe to the middle of the muffler like the center pipe in last picture you posted shows?
Old 08-23-2005, 03:16 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bill - Chicago
1999 do you have a picuture of a 997s sport exhaust? The 997 one has 2 pipes coming out going into 2 separate tail pipes, so it is a true quad exhaust. The mod you show might sound great and work, but it would not be the same. A good muffer shop could probably copy the 997s design, but I don't want to be the first to try.

Also did you modify the inside of you muffer to extend the pipe to the middle of the muffler like the center pipe in last picture you posted shows?
No mod to my mufflers other than the 1 1/2 inch pipe you see. Why not be the first. Life is all about learning and trying. If you don't like the sound, cut the added pipe and cap it off.

I'd be happy to send you a sound file of my exhaust if you give me your email address.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:35 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

OK, I took my 997S to my local muffler shop this morning and had the bypass pipes installed on the stock mufflers. Took him 3.5 hours, about 1 hour to remove and reinstall the mufflers and 2.5 hours to fabricate and install the bypass pipes. Total cost $297. Was it worth it? I don't think they are as loud as I thought they would be, and maybe that's good. They are a bit louder and deeper sounding. Very easy to listen to while cruising on the highway. I really think that the pipe that connects to the plug on the top of the muffler needs to extend into at least the center section on the muffler as viewed on the cutaway picture earlier in this thread. If I were to do it again I would at least take a hole saw on an extension bit and drill down through the plug opening and through the divider to open up a path to the center chamber.

Last edited by SamG; 08-24-2005 at 10:43 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 08-24-2005, 11:59 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

OK, I took my 997S to my local muffler shop this morning and had the bypass pipes installed on the stock mufflers. Took him 3.5 hours, about 1 hour to remove and reinstall the mufflers and 2.5 hours to fabricate and install the bypass pipes. Total cost $297. Was it worth it? I don't think they are as loud as I thought they would be, and maybe that's good. They are a bit louder and deeper sounding. Very easy to listen to while cruising on the highway. I really think that the pipe that connects to the plug on the top of the muffler needs to extend into at least the center section on the muffler as viewed on the cutaway picture earlier in this thread. If I were to do it again I would at least take a hole saw on an extension bit and drill down through the plug opening and through the divider to open up a path to the center chamber.

Way to go Sam. Don't judge the sound until you hear it while someone else is driving the car aways from you. It is quite deceiving when your driving.
That is a noce clen job they did. I didn't bother with worrying about a clean weld since you can't see it anyway.

Jim
Old 08-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Bill - Chicago
Instructor

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/99...ne_picture.jpg

Here is a picture of the 997s sport exhaust. The extra pipe runs all the way to the exhaust tip. I would love to see a cut away of this to see how the inside is constructed
Old 09-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Nauti-Pepper
7th Gear

Currently PSE is only available with the X51 option. That could explain the delete in the 06 list
Old 05-18-2007, 04:48 PM
cgng30
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Way to go Sam. Don't judge the sound until you hear it while someone else is driving the car aways from you. It is quite deceiving when your driving.
That is a noce clen job they did. I didn't bother with worrying about a clean weld since you can't see it anyway.

Jim
what size pipe did you use to connect the two. i am planning on doing my 997, did you notice any response change over the rpm band.

thanks
Old 05-19-2007, 08:32 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cgng30
what size pipe did you use to connect the two. i am planning on doing my 997, did you notice any response change over the rpm band.

thanks
That is probably a 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" pipe. Your muffler shop guy can measure the existing pipe and add a new one of the same size.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:04 AM
ianwallwork
Intermediate

This mod worked very well indeed on 996 cans as it effectively eliminated one of the three internal chambers from the silencing process (the new pipe lets the exhaust gasses out of the muffler before they reach the 3rd chamber) hence the increase in sound level and quality.

Th internal layout of the 997 muffler is totally different and welding these pipes in doesn't have the same effect at all. (There is another thread on here somewhere showing a cutaway of a 997 part). Hence the more limited differences when applying this mod to a 997 can. I'm led to believe the internal layout of the PSE for 997 is also changed (in addition to the external pipework) to get the better sound.

I have just e-mailed Eisenmann in Germany (they make Porsche's OEM exhaust and PSE) asking if they can provide flow diagrams for both the stock 997 and 997 PSE cans. I will report back if I get any kind of response.

Ian

Quick Reply: No More Porsche Sports Exhaust?