Sponsored by:

towing your 997

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 05:04 PM
CO997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing your 997

Looks like I might be moving hals way across the country and am planning on towing the 997 behind my SUV. Problem is I don't have a trailer for it and every rental site I have been to says their trailers will not accomodate the 05 997. Has anyone else tried to rent a trailer, if so were you successful? Anyone have any ideas on companies in FL that you can rent a reliable trailer to drive half way across the country?
I know I can go with a car transporter, in fact I've already called them and gotten the quotes, but if I pull it I save a bunch of money. I just didn't think it would be that hard to find a trailer.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best of luck to you on your relocation. Sorry to throw cold water FL, I did this once with a Lotus and it was more aggravation than it was worth. I would be nervous about a 997 DIY trailer tow unless you secured top quality platform of enclosed unit, which would cost a lot to rent one-way. Would insurance kick in if God forbid there was any mishap?

Intercity transport quoted me via phone 6 mos. ago only $1450 door-to-door OH to Calif, fully enclosed full insured for an '03 BMW M3. Maybe fuel prices have bumped that up. My net savings on the Lotus haul was <$1k; also the Xterra is great athlete but would hate to put 3500lb. towing on it over a long trip, if that's your tow vehicle.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:46 AM
CO997
Racer

I did get a couple of good quotes for professional transport which might just be the way I'll go. I just find it hard to believe no one will rent you a trailer to tow this car. I've looked for an enclosed trailer as well and came up empty there. Maybe I'll completely luck out and my company will pay to ship the car, although I'm not holding my breath.
The Xterra would be the tow vehicle. It's not the biggest SUV on the market but it is the new one with the 265hp engine and a class III hitch so I thought it would do ok on on the trip. At this rate I'll never find out. We were planning on stopping a couple of places on the way to visit some friends which was one of the reasons I wanted to tow it myself. Otherwise the transporter would get to Colorado with my car before we made it there. I think I'll keep searching for a trailer but will most likely end up having it transported.
If anyone comes acorss anywhere you can rent a good trailer I'd sure appreciate it.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:06 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Honestly, you can buy a trailer for not that much and unload it when you get to colorado. Up until about a year ago my father and I had a trailer that we used to trailer every one of our cars. We used to take the 930 down to sebring on it with no problems. We even trailered the 930 to wisconsin to leave for the summer to do DE events all over the NE.

The only problem is you might sometimes be like "jesus, there is porsche following me awefully close"
Old 08-14-2005, 10:24 AM
CO997
Racer

Gator
Man it's tough talking to a Gator!!! My wife is a UF alumni and I give her a hard time about it 24\7. She has a Gator plate on the front of her truck, so I bought a KU trailer hitch cover and license plate frame for the back of her truck. It's all good though. She watches them play football and I watch KU play basketball.
Anyhow, do you know of any good trailer dealers or places to rent them in Gville? Seems to be a pretty tough find here in Melbourne which I find REALLY STRANGE. Was your trailer enclosed?

Quick Reply: towing your 997