Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you drive the Porsche to a client office?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 10:13 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to admit that this thread has changed my thinking. For example, I have a 'client prospect' meeting that is 1 hour from home. Its at 5:30 in Gaithersburg, MD - 1 hour from baltimore. I do NOT want to go. I mean, I want to go and develop business, but I do NOT want to go to friggin Gaithersburg during 100 degree during the summer - especially after a full day of work.

However: Drive the 911 an hour away? Hell yes. I cant wait now. And, I really could care less if people see me or not. You guys are right. I am working my **** off, including driving to some clam bake cli dev meeting in the heat of summer when i am insanely busy as it is. The only reason I am excited now is the opportunity to drive the car. Why deny myself of that pleasure.

I'm even going to burn myself an .mp3 CDR for the occasion. So there!!
Old 08-15-2005, 10:29 PM
tbill
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When one attains a certain net worth, should we not enjoy what we have worked and saved so hard for? I would not give up my beautiful home, vehicles, and wife certainly would not give up new clothes, just to have a higher net worth. If one has been blessed, enjoy it (and share it) just don't flaunt it!
Old 08-16-2005, 01:44 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
Clients will bitch about my fees and rates and say I am overpaid. Clients will jaz me to no end about the size of my contract and profit margins. I will never hear the end of it. I therefore drive a daily driver to client offices.
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but it's the responsibility of the client to determine whether or not your fees and rates are reasonable and competitive. They have no right to bitch if your rates and fees are competitive and your services are well worth what you charge, regardless of what you wear or drive.

Now if you dressed and drove a beater like Columbo you might have trouble drumming up business until your reputation preceded you.

Last edited by OCBen; 08-16-2005 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Added last line.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:05 PM
npp
Advanced

This audience is no doubt biased ... after all, we either own these magnificent cars or are aspiring to own one shortly! Of course we believe that we should be able to drive these cars anywhere, anytime, as we please. But the "have nots" undoubtedly have a different view. "Flaunting" to them may simply mean that you drive the car out in public -- where as we may think that "flaunting" means joyriding with the top down, music blasting, car dancing and drawing all sorts of attention to yourself in your dream machine.
Does this realization change anything? Probably not.
my 2 cents.
NPP
Old 08-16-2005, 10:54 PM
Its_Lobelt
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

If my lawyer/real estate agent etc. pulled up in a crappy car I would consider a change unless I really knew him/her. In my eyes a professional person driving a nice car is a sign of his/her success.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:04 AM
renn911
Instructor

I park my newly purchased 993 far from the entrance to my building and walk over. I’m proud of my car, but as a Network Admin I know I’ll get the “how much do they pay that guy” kind of comment around the office, so I’m trying to keep the car on the DL.

I think one of the “perception problems” with these cars is how much people think they are worth. In my parking lot if you took the 05 C55AMG Mercedes, 05 BMW M3 and 03 7 series and my 96 993 and lined them up to take a poll. I’ll bet dollars to donuts most people would think the Porsche was far more expensive than any of the others. When I owned my 81 911 I had a guy ask me at a gas station “what is that worth, around $50K”? I haven’t yet been asked how much the 993 is worth; but I did read a great post a few weeks ago where a 12 year old asked a rennlister if his 993 was worth around $100K if I remember correctly.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:58 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by S4to911
To my physician collegues in this thread: Do you really think our patients get mad at us for what we drive? I think they are much more concerned with how long they have to wait in the office to be seen, how much we listen to them when we see them, how compassionately (ie like human beings) that we treat them, and if we can make them better. If they get mad at us when they see us driving a Porsche, they are probably mad at us for failing to do one of the things listed above.
My take on the situation also. I am an orthopedic spine surgeon and have received only positive comments from my patients regarding my Cayenne TT. Their are five of us and so it is really a mystery for most of our patients as to which car belongs to which physician. The five brands of vehicles in the M.D. slots are: Porsche, Lexus, Audi, Nissan minivan and Subaru station wagon. With this mix of vehicles it really leaves them guessing as to who is driving what and engenders a neutral response overall. The car enthusiasts among our patients probe the staff as to who is driving the CTT.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:26 PM
Dash
4th Gear

I'm not a professional (I'm a city inspector) but i figured I would chime in on the topic. I've always had the means to purchase new high end vehicles ( 5 series BMWs and a few Mercedes) and I usually never drove them to work. I just didn't feel comfortable, I was on the same level as many of my co-workers, but I chose to purchase german autos while most of them chose Fords and Chevys. Not driving them to work cut down on the questions as to what am I doing on the side, instead of just looking at the fact that I chose to spend my money this way. I've seen them rag on some people because of their purchases of used exotic vehicles and I just chose to avoid it and go into work low key. Another problem I have is the acceptance (which I'm not looking for, but show a little respect ) of the people (professionals) that have the means to purchase these vehicles, but somehow look down on me, because their questions are the same, so I'm in limbo. I've basically just decided to rid myself of the headaches on both sides and buy a car that nobody asks questions about and just blend in with the population. It sucks, but thats what I get for being a regular guy with a little bit of class and taste.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:42 PM
ultimate
Advanced

On the millionaire question, I've seen plenty of clients that have been proud to deny themselves things they could have easily afforded, then die with, say, ten million instead of the nine million nine hundred thousand they would have had. It seems sad to me, and I never got how hoarding money is less materialistic then having and enjoying things you are passionate about. As astutely mentioned above , these folks are not happier or better adjusted.

I really appreciate this discussion as I know on some level I think about it often. I think for me (business/tax lawyer) I know I'd likely lose some clients because of their perceptions, but don't think I would lose clients that I really want to work with - if and when my practice is such that I am confortable turning away a profitable client only because of their attitude perhaps I'll then know I've truly "made it."
Old 08-21-2005, 05:05 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Someone once said "Pity the man that lives poor so that he can die rich". Enjoy!
Old 08-21-2005, 05:43 PM
infestation
Instructor

I drive my car everywhere I go, and sometimes someone will say something snide. However, 9 times out of 10 people--across the board--have positive things to say, and successful people always have positive things to say. I know a few people (friends from the past, relatives, and acquaintences) who don't like the fact that I drive a Porsche, but based on what I know about them personally, they've chosen not to work hard and not to save and invest money on a consistent basis. With that in mind, I always remind myself not to feel bad, even though there are times when I do feel a bit awkward. But as someone else said, we're all working hard, so why not enjoy what we're working for?
Old 08-21-2005, 06:19 PM
Chilipadi
Track Day

How is a 'real millionaire' defined? 5 million, 50? and why does there have to be a distinction between inherited or earned honestly.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:01 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by tbill
When one attains a certain net worth, should we not enjoy what we have worked and saved so hard for? I would not give up my beautiful home, vehicles, and wife certainly would not give up new clothes, just to have a higher net worth. If one has been blessed, enjoy it (and share it) just don't flaunt it!
I can’t help recall, after reading tbill’s post and seeing his avatar with his beautiful wife, the lyrics of The Talking Head’s Once in Lifetime, the opening soundtrack to the movie Down and Out in Beverly Hills.

And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful
wife
And you may ask yourself - Well...How did I get here?

Sorry, too much time on my hands.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:50 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Great thread.

To all the doctors here...I'm a healthcare consultant (own medical billing service and nurse staffing). I've always thought twice about using a 911 as my daily but I'm thawing on that stance. If we met for golf or lunch in my car would that give you pause before signing on with us?

My current car is an M3 which like the M5 looks like any other sedan in this world which is why I MUST get another 911.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:07 PM
OCBen
Banned

Speaking of avatars!

Last edited by OCBen; 08-22-2005 at 04:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Do you drive the Porsche to a client office?