Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you drive the Porsche to a client office?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 11:50 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
The M5 is less flashy than a 911, but I wouldn't call it low key. How about an M5 with the "badge delete" option?
Trust me. Aside from this Board and the car world in general, people that are not car people dont know what an M5 is - they'll know its a BMW - but most dont even know what a 5 series is let alone an M5.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:49 AM
wahoo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this a good topic. as an architect it would bring 'cache' to some of my clients..others would think 'I can't afford him'. btw, I do not have a 997 (sadly). It is in my plans in the future...have my first on the way so I have some other things to take care off.

On another note; I married somewhat 'well' and we have to constantly monitor what is reasonable amoung our friends (sadly). Bimmer,v8Touareg are paid for etc. It is what it is. We're looking for a new home in the city and it becomes somewhat frustrating to always poor mouth everything. We live in the city so there are plenty like us but in the end you have to be comfortable in your skin....just my .02.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:48 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by npp
For most professions we seem to be care more about our employees' perceptions than the clients' perceptions ... probably one exception would be physicians. Doctors who drive Porsches may be looked upon as arrogant and selfish as they must have profited from other people's misfortunes (illness, sickness, injury, etc).
For all rennlisters here -- would you feel angry if your doctor drove around town in a $100,000+ vehicle?
just curious.
Nope. I expect my doctor to drive a nice car. You know they are making money. If they drive a cheap car, I think they mismanage their financials.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:52 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Interesting comments as I am a physician/surgeon.

I've been in practice for about 6 years and I have driven an Expedition and now a 1994 Camry that I bought one year after I got married. All of my staff actually drive more expensive cars than mine, but very soon I will get a 996C4 cab. I have recently become attracted to sports cars and think that it is time to enjoy the vehicle that I drive and I want more than just wheels to get me from point a to poinit b.

Our staff is well compensated and but I think some will be surprised when they see the car. If I am spending this kind of money on a car, I plan to drive it. They may feel better knowing that I am getting a used car and paying about 50% of what it cost brand new.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:20 PM
monabaker
Pro

Most people have no idea what the difference between any 5 series BMW is and an M5. Taking the badge off does nothing. There are still dozens of ways to tell it's not a regular 5 series, but only to those who know alot about cars. It has been, and will always be, one of my favorite cars on the planet.

What kind of deal would you be willing to sell yours for?
Old 08-14-2005, 06:13 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't think it really matters, who cares what people think, you worked hard, you earned it!
Old 08-14-2005, 08:23 PM
carbon_00
Burning Brakes

Most guys in my industry ( Investment Banking) own something like a Porsche or something even more ludicrous so I have no worries about my cars and my clients...enjoy what you've earned.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:58 AM
MOD500
Racer

It all depends on your line of work, as said.

I work in the construction industry, and NO WAY would I turn up in the turbo. Just turning up in it would alone would rub people up the wrong way, hence I drive a fairly ordinary 4x4 for work. Plus the front splitter wouldn't cope with the ruts and mud too well either
Old 08-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Redlined
Track Day

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet 911
Answer these three questions:
1. Are you good at what you do?
2. Do you work hard for your clients?
3. Are you worth what they pay you?

If the answer is yes to all three, drive what you like to a client's office. They will not care.
Probably more true when dealing with professionals. I suspect Joe 6 pack still feels he's paying for your car. I'm low key with my 996, it's garaged out of sight at my practice. Yet still it's a daily driver. Life is too short to do otherwise!
Old 08-15-2005, 03:04 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Depends on your clients, but overall, I don't really care what my clients may think about the car I drive. My only concern when driving a Porsche to a new or existing client is finding an adequate parking space.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:20 PM
S4to911
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 27 Posts

Interesting thread.

I too am a physician (oncologist) with a 2 month old S Cab. I drive it to work daily. My patients love it and love to joke with me about it (ie my wife finally agreed to the purchase after 3 years). Many of my car oriented collegues have Porsches as well. My staff also jokes with me about it as well.

This is a purchase that should be a celebration, and as long as we are not stuffing it in other people's faces, then if we're comforatble driving it as any other car to clients, patients, etc--we should drive it. As Ferry Porsche is rumored to have remarked: "These cars should be driven."

To my physician collegues in this thread: Do you really think our patients get mad at us for what we drive? I think they are much more concerned with how long they have to wait in the office to be seen, how much we listen to them when we see them, how compassionately (ie like human beings) that we treat them, and if we can make them better. If they get mad at us when they see us driving a Porsche, they are probably mad at us for failing to do one of the things listed above.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:25 PM
bdbx18
Track Day

Great thread.
One of the many reasons I'm holding off on getting a 997s.
Fortunately or unfortunately, I'm one of those who have read the "The Millionaire Next Door'. While the book keeps my spendthrift ways restrained, it has also placed a heavy conscious on any of my 'excessive' purchases. For those who have not read it, the book stresses the need to place the importance of building wealth and the refrain from anything that distracts from it, such as cars, homes, country clubs fees e.g. Of course, the gist of the book is the analysis of the survey results from interviewing a bunch of real millionaires. I guess millionaires generally don't look like one nor live like one which also leads me to theorize that *most* owners of > $70k cars or expensive homes are not really wealthy.

Of course, this premise excludes us, the car enthusiasts who forgos other discretions and sacrifices costly bi-annual vacations to get our dream car.

As for me, I'm not quite there yet. I can park further away, avoid colleagues and such but eventually, it'll be known when I have a need to drive to the gathering, lunch e.g. Not a showy person, I'm still smarting from the attention my NSX gave me at the office back in '92. In constrast, my current '03 M3 can pass for a regular 3 series but still provide some major utility and performance. Sometime back, a friend suggested a regular daily driver and saving my nice car for Fridays and weekends. But to me, it just doesn't seem cost effective and restricts the car to semi-garage queen status thereby defeating the purpose in the first place.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:15 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

The concept of "building wealth" by avoiding "anything that distracts from it" sounds like the accumulation of money is the goal in and of itself. While I do know people who live that way, I don't consider any of them to be happy or even well-adjusted. I've felt most comfortable spending reasonable amounts of my earned income for pleasurable things. That includes a nice home and cars that I enjoy driving. Now, one man's "reasonable amount" is another man's yearly income, but that's kind of the point. If you can afford one of these cars, and you truly enjoy the experience of having and driving one, then you should do so willingly.

And, as Dr. "S4to911" so perceptively put it, his patients are far less likely to begrudge their physician driving an expensive car, if he is a compassionate, effective doctor. I think it's the same in any profession. If you're good at what you do, but not boastful about it, your colleagues and clients are not likely to be bothered by your choice of vehicle. The fact that so many of us are even concerned about this "perception issue" is a healthy sign. Whomever said, "All Porsche drivers are ********," probably never met anyone on this forum.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:19 PM
DD694
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leader
The fact that so many of us are even concerned about this "perception issue" is a healthy sign. Whomever said, "All Porsche drivers are ********," probably never met anyone on this forum.
And probably never owned a Porsche either.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:48 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect that people who subcribe to the theory behind "the millionaire next door" wind up denying themselves many of life's little pleasures and merely succeed in making their heirs very wealthy and happy.

Quick Reply: Do you drive the Porsche to a client office?